Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 29th April 2009, 10:10   #1  |  Link
ERQ

Audio out of sync on certain Scenes

I have the Alien Quadrilogy pack(pal) and I was trying to rip Aliens (2nd movie) using Megui. After ripping to x264 I can see noticeable audio sync problem on certain scenes(scene at 1:47:26 when Ripley says "Nobody..."). But Delay reported by DGindex is 0ms and its not constant out of sync audio as far as my eyes and ears tells me. I thought it may be a problem of seamless branching and tried DVDDecrypter in ifo and file mode and with and without split by vobid option. Also tried using DVDshrink in reauthor mode to remove the ilvu from ifo but the problem is still there. In normal IFO mode of ddecrypter I also got constant out of sync sub issue.

Is there any way to solve this?

Last edited by ERQ; 30th April 2009 at 19:40.
ERQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 09:37   #2  |  Link
ERQ

I also found that these type of audio sync issues only happen when a single PGC uses multiple VOB IDs like in this one.

1 cumbersome solution is to rip by VOB ID and then create d2v for each VOB ID and encode each one.

Is there any other way that DGindex can handle these type of Vobs with proper delay auto insertion during demux?
Old 2nd May 2009, 15:07   #3  |  Link

I don't have any experience with such things. Can you post a sample that will let me duplicate your issue? Without that, there's little I can do.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 20:33   #4  |  Link
ERQ

Its quite impossible to duplicate the issue using a sample other than the full ripped DVD content, because the audio is very very slightly out of sync and noticeable in certain scenes in careful observation, though I am uploading a sample http://tr.im/kiTw .
1.If I use dgindex to process the two vobs files included in the sample as a single video stream then DGindex reports 0ms delay.

2.But if I try to process the VTS_2.VOB file only then it will report delay of -191ms.

In case 1 if I use it to convert Mkv using megui (x264+aac) then I will get very slight audio sync issue only noticeable after viewing the encoded mkv from case 2 with correct delay value.
Old 2nd May 2009, 20:44   #5  |  Link
ERQ

If dgindex can dynamically calculate and apply delay in audio file then this issue can be easily solved. AFAIK DGindex doesn't support it.

Last edited by ERQ; 2nd May 2009 at 21:29. Reason: Grammatical error correction
ERQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 17:30   #6  |  Link
s162000

By chance I am having this exact same problem detailed in this thread. If you work out a solution I would be very grateful if you could post it!

Last edited by s162000; 4th May 2009 at 17:34.
Old 5th May 2009, 02:33   #7  |  Link
hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERQ View Post
If dgindex can dynamically calculate and apply delay in audio file then this issue can be easily solved. AFAIK DGindex doesn't support it.
I would invite you to try an earlier version of DGIndex, ie, v1.48.

I noticed a problem with v1.49 that I didn't report and seemed to be fixed in 1.50. But, perhaps it was not. Perhaps it propagated?

So, try v1.48 and report back if you can.

Versions: http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html
hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 06:35   #8  |  Link
ERQ

Quote:
So, try v1.48 and report back if you can.
Tried your suggestion but same thing happens again, though thanks for the reply.

DGindex just calculating the delay in 1st vob ID/Vob file not sure and then shows it in Delay XXms format. But if other vob IDs got lots of delay as calculated by DGindex separately on those VOBs(like in Aliens DVD) then audio is in sync in VOB ID 1 and gradually gets out of sync after that.

Since I don't want 2 try the change fps solution in Virtualdub which is also complex for mkv with x264+aac, I have created d2v with demuxed audio for each vob ID then encoded to x264+aac using megui and then the audio is perfectly in sync for each of the encoded files(49 files).

Only problem is that after joining them using mkvmerge I get noticeable audio gaps between join points of the mkvs.
Old 5th May 2009, 08:51   #9  |  Link
s162000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERQ View Post
Tried your suggestion but same thing happens again, though thanks for the reply.

DGindex just calculating the delay in 1st vob ID/Vob file not sure and then shows it in Delay XXms format. But if other vob IDs got lots of delay as calculated by DGindex separately on those VOBs(like in Aliens DVD) then audio is in sync in VOB ID 1 and gradually gets out of sync after that.

Since I don't want 2 try the change fps solution in Virtualdub which is also complex for mkv with x264+aac, I have created d2v with demuxed audio for each vob ID then encoded to x264+aac using megui and then the audio is perfectly in sync for each of the encoded files(49 files).

Only problem is that after joining them using mkvmerge I get noticeable audio gaps between join points of the mkvs.
Cool, I might give that a go, is that the extended edition you've been working on right? I've also had problems getting the subtitles to sync on the extended version. What a pain in the a**!
Old 5th May 2009, 10:32   #10  |  Link
ERQ

Quote:
Cool, I might give that a go, is that the extended edition you've been working on right? I've also had problems getting the subtitles to sync on the extended version. What a pain in the a**!
I am trying to rip Aliens Special Edition(2nd movie from Alien Quadrilogy pack(Pal Region 2)) the DVD has two Editions :
1. Special Edition
2. Theatrical Edition

I got sub sync problems when I used DVD-Fab to decrypt due to huge audio sync issue, then dvd decrypter gave me sync sub with very little audio sync issue, (In both cases no issue whatsoever when playing the Riped dvd video from HDD) but I don't care about them now because the main issue is proper audio sync.

The last solution and possibility the best solution is to buy a DL DVD media and burn a verbatim copy as backup or use dvd shrink or any app that can easily and properly convert DVD9>DVD5.
Old 15th May 2009, 16:34   #11  |  Link
ERQ

I recently ripped Serenity (R2 PAL) DVD using Megui. The main movie was fine, perfectly audio video synced. But when I was ripping the deleted scenes, I again encountered with A/V sync problem and again not constant audio out of sync but out of sync after couple of minutes. When I checked the main movie and deleted scenes IFOs(using IFOedit) I found that main movie IFO uses 2 VOB IDs and the 2nd VOB ID is just 1 sec or 25 frames long(with layer break attribute) and no audio. The Deleted scenes IFO uses 19 Vob IDs and VOB ID no. 19 is just 1 sec or 25 frames long(with layer break attribute) and no audio. Also when I tried to create d2v for only VOB ID 19, I got only 1 frame reported by avisynth instead of 25, although it doesn't matter because VOB ID 19 has no audio just like VOB ID 2 incase of main movie.

My question is what is the relation of audio sync issue and lots of VOB IDs in a single PGC?

By the way when I used Handbrake to rip the deleted scenes, surprisingly it produced a perfectly a/v synced output. AFAIK handbrake doesn't use DGindex.
Old 17th May 2009, 10:01   #12  |  Link
ERQ

I had tried projectX to demux the VOB and after encoding, I got perfectly synced a/v output. But the output got errors, the clip was missing some amount of a/v from starting with some corrupted frames.

I just don't want to backup these as DVD-Video(without x264 conversion) just for a/v sync sake, and I also don't like to use handbrake(due to limited interface and no avisynth support AFAIK).

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Old 17th May 2009, 19:11   #13  |  Link
ERQ

Atlast I found one solution VideoReDo's QuickStreamfix tool seems to fix the audio sync problem by removing 25 frames.

Will try it on Alien DVD also.
Old 18th May 2009, 22:25   #14  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

Can you split the vob by cell id (with dvddecrypter or another tool)? I bet there are some blank cells causing sync issues.
RunningSkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 10:57   #15  |  Link
ERQ

There are no blank cells except the last VOB ID with layer break attribute(has no audio). It seems VideoReDo Tvsuite's QuickStreamfix demux DVDs using IFO phrasing and PTS values and that's why the demuxed elementary streams are perfectly in sync (AFAIK DGindex don't use ifo and PTS values to demux). Then I fed the elementary m2v to DGindex and created d2v and all went fine.
Old 31st May 2009, 23:37   #16  |  Link
s162000

Thanks for the update and solution. I will now go and re-encode my Alien Quadrilogy boxset!
Old 24th January 2010, 01:14   #17  |  Link
me7

Can someone explain how to use VideoReDo TVSuite for the Alien DVDs?
I tried opening the main movie VTS in it's original 1GB-chunks form via TVSuite straight from the DVD but ended up with only half of the movie (seems like the first layer only). Copying the VTS to a single file with DVDDecrypter and opening that in "Tools/Quick Fix Stream" also produced only the first half (roughly). How does the exact workflow look like?
me7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dgindex, sync error