Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th November 2019, 15:25   #1  |  Link
Isley

File size bigger when using "tuning" setting

Hello.

I started ripping some of my blu-ray recently for easier access and been fiddling with settings to get a good compromise between file size and quality.

I settled for 720p and DXVA output (since I'll be playing them from my PC), and a crf of 21, which gives me a great quality.

The last setting I fiddled with was 'tuning', and I found the result quite strange. Since this is blu-ray is a live-action TV show (toughly 40 min per episode) I went for the Movie option and I didn't observe and change in quality whatsoever. The size of the file however was not the same.

Movie tuning on : 1.05 GB
No tuning : 862 MB

Did I chose a CRF too low for tuning to be relevant and if yes, what are tunings good for if their result can be achieved by simply lowering the CRF ?
Isley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2019, 20:45   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

CRF will produce different results with different settings.

Compare the two. Do you see a visual difference? If no, skip the tuning and you're done.

If you do see a difference, can you accept the increased bitrate? If yes, keep the tuning and you're done.

If you want the file size to be smaller, increase crf and re-encode. If you like the result keep it. Otherwise you can keep your original encode
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2019, 01:01   #3  |  Link
Asmodian

I recommend finding the CRF value you like after you pick a tuning. x264's tunings a pretty good in my experiance, they usually let you use a smaller file for the same apparent quality. If 21 is already transparent, with tune film or without, then a higher CRF will likely also be transparent with tune film. It can be a decimal value too, like 21.5. Even 0.1 CRF can have a pretty big impact on the final size, and +0.01 will make it a little smaller without changing the quality at all, at least that you can notice.

Of course the content type matters a lot and different movies will vary wildly in how they behave with any particular set of options.