Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 10th August 2008, 19:04   #1  |  Link
mf168600

Convert VOB to MPG + DTS Audio

I have been looking and playing around with compression and just decided it wasn't worth the hassle to me. I am building a fairly large NAS which should allow me instant access to my 200 or so favorite movies. I want to be able to stream the content to me PS3.

I have been using DVDShrink with no compression and just getting the main movie with the best audio track (DTS to my ears; if available). I found an app called VOB2MPG which seemed to do a great job converting the VOB files outputted by DVDShrink to one nice MPG. It streams perfectly to my PS3 from the computer and I am as happy as can be. The problem I have encountered is those VOBs where I selected a DTS track.

So, for example, I am trying to archive my copy of Minority Report: if I select just the DD audio track in DVDShrink, VOB2MPG works fine; if I select just the DTS audio track in DVDShrink, VOB2MPG throws the following error:

"ffmpeg.exe has stopped working"
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ffmpeg.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4497cc6c
Fault Module Name: ffmpeg.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4497cc6c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00006e55
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I am running Vista Ultimate and have tried running both VOB2MPG and ffmpeg in Windows XP compatibility mode and also the Run as Administrator option.

I see from searching the internets that there is an "enable-dts" parameter when using ffmpeg.exe but maybe VOB2MPG isn't invoking it correctly?

If there is another program that can convert VOB files with a DTS audio track to an mpg please let me know. If invoking ffmpeg directly would do the job; any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help. If I can get past this I will be well on my way.
mf168600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 09:25   #2  |  Link
dat720

Theres no point trying to pack DTS audio in a mpg containers as the PS3 won't play it!

Trust me i tried last night with my Predator Blu-ray, i had to convert the audio to ac3 with eac3to.

What works for me is encode video with x264 then mux it with a ac3 audio track into a m2ts file using tsRemuxR..... PS3 seems to be very happy with the m2ts container.

Last edited by dat720; 11th August 2008 at 09:28.
dat720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 20:31   #3  |  Link
mf168600

Thanks for the reply dat720. PS3 is not a big deal. If need be, I can just string a DVI cable from my computer to the receiver. Should VOB2MPG be able to create an MPG w/ a DTS audio track?

My preference would just be to get the main movie and the best audio track into an MPG and I can figure out how to watch it later.

Thanks again.
Old 11th August 2008, 21:13   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

@mf168600

Hi!
Quote:
My preference would just be to get the main movie and the best audio track into an MPG
You can (continue to) use DVD Shrink (and ONLY DVD Shrink) by:

1) In DVD Shrink: Edit>>Preferences>>Output Files - UNCHECK "Split VOB files into 1GB size chunks"

2) As you presently do, in "Re-author" mode, select only the main movie and the one audiostream you wish to retain (UNCHECK all other items) - and then "Save"

3) You will now have ONE .VOB that is actually an MPEG-2 file containing only one videostream and one audiostream. Simply change the extender from ".VOB" to ".MPG" and you'll be good to go ;>}

BTW - Make sure that in Preferences>>Stream Selections, you have set the right side option to "All types"

Last edited by setarip_old; 11th August 2008 at 21:19. Reason: Additional info
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 04:10   #5  |  Link
mf168600

Hey setarip_old,

My only complaint with that approach was that the timecode (or whatever it's called) is all goofed up and therefore it doesn't load in a navigable form with any DVD player. Is there a way to reprocess the file so that the timecode is restored?
Old 12th August 2008, 06:59   #6  |  Link
dat720

If all you want to do is play the files as they are why dont you just leave it as a dvd structure?
dat720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 07:02   #7  |  Link
setarip_old

I just ran a test on a DVD and I see what you're talking about (I never noticed this before, I guess because I've watched such files from start to finish on my PC, without regard for timestamps). This can be cured in one simple procedure that takes all of 5-10 minutes, as follows:

1) Load the file into "MPEG2CUT2.exe" (No need to set start and end points)

2) From the "Output" dropdown menu, hover over "Parse Options" and select "Adjust timestamps-Experimental"

3) From the "File" dropdown menu select "Save this clip" and enter a new name

Let us know how it goes...

Last edited by setarip_old; 12th August 2008 at 18:01. Reason: Typo re: "MPEG2CUT2.EXE"
Old 12th August 2008, 17:17   #8  |  Link
mf168600

Thanks setarip_old. I'll try it when I get home and report back.
Old 12th August 2008, 18:03   #9  |  Link
setarip_old

@mf168600

Please see my correction of typo regarding the program name in Post#7.

The correct program name is "MPEG2CUT2.EXE"...