Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 25th May 2011, 05:52   #1  |  Link
casejustin80

Mixing NTSC, PAL & DV content on same DVD

Hello!. I've got VHSs recorded in NTSC (from analog camcorders), PAL (my country broadcasts in PAL-N), and also progressive scan files from a digital camcorder (MPEG2's MODs) and a digital camera (MJPEGs).
I want to export all of this to DVD-Videos, sometimes with more than one source on the same disk. I plan to use Vegas + DVD Architect.
I searched the FAQ and some answers, but I need to know if there is a reasonably optimal setting for ALL of them, say NTSC non-interlaced?. The future of video is progressive, but is it better to leave interlaced material as-is?. I fear about ragged edges or shaky movement in moving objects if deinterlaced.
Sorry if my questions are too basic, I'm a newbie wishing just to preserve my family's memories, and there are quite a few video settings to fiddle with.
Thank you!
casejustin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 06:13   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Preserving means only COPY. Because a bad enhancement could distroy the video (imagine say a denoiser that along with the noise also takes away details).
I will not deinterlace.
Mixing NTSC with PAL is allowed on the same DVD only on different sides (AFAIK there was only one model from Memorex or Traxdata that could be written on both sides). So, not possible. Yet it is possible to mix NTSC and PAL on the same DVD, provided all NTSC clips are in NTSC only tracks and all PAL in PAL tracks. You need a lot of manipulations and tricks, as this would be a non standard DVD and many software will reject it, so better create NTSC-only discs and PAL-only ones.
Old 25th May 2011, 22:48   #3  |  Link
Alex-Kid
Antronio's DV ambassador

If you want to create DVD-Video, then you must encode interlaced, even if "the future of video is progressive". And as Ghitulescu says, it's better to create NTSC-only and PAL-only discs.

In case your progressive sources have frame rates other than NTSC, PAL or FILM, you'll have to make some changes to make them compatible.
Alex-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 00:01   #4  |  Link
six13

I have done this but converted all the PAL to NTSC as that is what my DVD will play, I didn't have both formats on the same DVD, I could have but my settop DVD player is NTSCformat. When I put a PAL DVD in it all I get is audio, no video because of fps rates,

I used Procoder 3 to do the conversion to DVD VIDEO_TS files NTSC format. Must choose 1 format I believe when going to mpeg 2 DVD format unless you play the files with a PC and VLC, Media Player, MP Classic etc...

many programs will give you the output of DVD files then you could use DVD shrink to reauthor a DVD and merge say 2 or 3 VIDEO_TS folders (must be DVD compliant) on the same DVD. But they need to be NTSC or PAL, not both.
six13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 22:18   #5  |  Link
casejustin80

six13, many thanks for your reply, now my cut-and-try job will be better aimed!.
Thanks again.
casejustin80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interlaced, mixed, ntsc, pal, progressive