Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > Forum / Site Suggestions & Help

Old 11th September 2009, 17:45   #1  |  Link
Midol

Announcement in Newbies

Might I suggest a link to this announcement from the forum rules?

Upon entering the forum I read the forum rules, yep, check. Ran a search to look for possible solutions, yep, check. None found. Then I found the appropriate section for my question (which imo belongs in the container forum and NOT the newbie forum) so I accidentally violated a "rule" because I did not happen to stumble across it.

I know many people might go into the Newbies forum first, but I bet even more skip it entirely and head to a more specific category to post their question.

I didn't get an infraction or anything but if the rules were spelt out clearly within the forum rules (where one would generally look to find the rules of the forum) then it'd have saved me time (I wouldn't have to rewrite my post to exclude the bits which violated the second set of forum rules which are not obvious to newcomers to the site) and the moderator would not have had to waste time closing my thread.

Just a friendly suggestion.
Midol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 18:04   #2  |  Link
Midol

Another suggestion.

If moderators intend to issue warnings for breaking rule #16, which is not following a moderators instructions then can I suggest they actually issue instructions within their posts?

If you read my first thread:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=149489
Moderator response:
Quote:
Can't help you with downloaded files. Read the forum rules and the Announcement in the Newbies forum. Thread closed.
At no point did he say I could not create a new thread which obeys the rules which are hidden away in an obscure location. However, when I create a new thread pertaining to the section of my original thread which did not break forum rules (in my first thread I SPECIFICALLY mentioned content shifting, as in, a backup from a dvd) I get an infraction for not following moderators instructions and a comment claiming:
Quote:
In your other thread you said you downloaded them. Struck for rule 16 and closed.
Even though I said in my original thread that I had both downloaded and content shifted material and in my new post I removed the references to downloaded material

So now because you have rules hidden in obscure locations, that is, not in the forum rules where one would look for said rules I can no longer request advice on solving the problem I face. If the rules had been clear from the start then I'd have not had this issue, so for now, this entire forum can serve no purpose for me as the only issue I have is the subtitle one, and any threads created will be closed and I'll be given a rule 16 infraction for not following mods instructions (of which I've still received none).

Might want to clarify the situation in the forum rules to avoid this happening with other members who are not aware that you should check every category of a forum for announcements.

Ohh well, I'll try and find another forum that I can obtain help on. Maybe the next one will post all of the forum rules in, ohh, I don't know, the list of forum rules

Last edited by Midol; 11th September 2009 at 18:06.
Old 11th September 2009, 18:32   #3  |  Link
stax76

I've recently wondered why it's not allowed to say 'I downloaded' because it's not necessarily illegal. Problem was I missed this sticky too, first time a saw it was few weeks ago and I'm a member since years.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 19:35   #4  |  Link

And you missed the myriads of times when threads were closed for this reason?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 19:49   #5  |  Link
stax76

That's how I found the sticky, some threads was closed where I was posting and you've sent me a PM telling that I'm not allowed to help so I wondered why, did some research and finally found the sticky.
Old 12th September 2009, 06:36   #6  |  Link
Midol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
And you missed the myriads of times when threads were closed for this reason?
Nah mate.

I used the search, and I never had any results at all turn up. I've always been a bit crap at using forum search engines but all the terms I tried had 0 results, so I then just looked at the first page or two in containers to see if someone had a similar problem recently and then posted my thread.

It seriously never occured to me to check another section/category for announcements relating to forum rules, and because this never occured to me I can no longer request help even though 90% of my material I content shifted and the other 10% I legally obtained. I know, I know, you guys don't allow downloaded material to be discussed at all but at the time I did not know this... It really wouldn't be too hard to add "No discussing of any downloaded content whether legally or illegally obtained" into the forum rules.

Ohh well, live and learn
Old 12th September 2009, 07:06   #7  |  Link
creamyhorror

Huh, no discussion of downloaded content at all, legal or not? That explains the closure of quite a few threads. Do Youtube videos not count?

It would make sense to make the rule thread sitewide, since it applies to every forum on the site.
creamyhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 08:35   #8  |  Link
Midol

Yep, no discussion at all. So if you make a thread which includes both dvd content and downloaded content you can't even recreate it with just the dvd content specified which means if you screw up then you have to find a complete new forum to ask the one question on... even though this is the best forum for it.
Old 12th September 2009, 10:01   #9  |  Link
stax76

Writing downloaded sounds instantly suspicious and threads get closed instantly but it's still allowed to discus legally downloaded content so you have to write 'I downloaded ............' where .............. makes instantly clear that it's legal.
Old 12th September 2009, 10:47   #10  |  Link
Midol

Nope, announcement in Newbies bans all downloaded content, not just pirated material. Blanket ban. My downloads are legal btw.

Quote:
2. No help will be provided in regards to downloaded files. We won't walk the extra mile to clarify the legality of your files. We believe that this is unproductive and the members shouldn't put Doom9’s Forum in this position. Yes, we know that there are plenty of perfectly legal downloadable movies available.....and there are also plenty of illegal, copyrighted ones. To keep us from having to decide which is which, we request that you not mention downloaded movies. Never. Also, don't mention any bootleg DVDs that you got from E-Bay or an Asian DVD/VCD Retailer, or anywhere else.
Also... my downloaded files aren't movies :P They're university lectures. Legal for me to own, content shift but not share.
Old 12th September 2009, 11:17   #11  |  Link
stax76

Sorry, I missed that.
Old 12th September 2009, 11:26   #12  |  Link
Midol

So did I

See how much easier it'd be if it was in the list of rules :P
Old 12th September 2009, 12:28   #13  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
Writing downloaded sounds instantly suspicious and threads get closed instantly but it's still allowed to discus legally downloaded content so you have to write 'I downloaded ............' where .............. makes instantly clear that it's legal.
stax76 is right. If you do make it clear (as in proving it; when starting your discussion about it) that you are dealing with legally downloaded content, then it's fine to discuss that.

The reason for that announcement in the newbie forum is that in the beginning we had many threads starting with "I downloaded something ... need help with that ..." without clarifying the legality of it. Of course we have betting things to do then trying to find out the legality of such stuff.

Last edited by Wilbert; 12th September 2009 at 12:32.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 20:06   #14  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbert View Post
...we have betting [better] things to do then trying to find out the legality of such stuff.
Indeed it was my belief (& understanding) that: given how very difficult it is to ascertain what downloads are considered to fall under the "fair use" umbrella, doom9 has taken the position simply that *all downloads* are suspect, and doom9 wants nothing to do with them, period. Better safe than sorry i.e. to become known as a site that aids & abets folks who unlawfully take & distribute for-profit, copyrighted material.

We don't want a team of MPAA lawyers knocking-on Doom9's door, for sure! This is too valuable a resource!
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 20:52   #15  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I just made a few edits to the announcement that should clarify some things.. and it mentions we don't allow reposts that just leave out the offending information. as soon as I manage to ftp into the forum server again I'll also upload a tiny revision to the forum rules...
Quote:
content of a questionable nature
will be replaced with
content of a questionable nature

I hope that improves things for you.
Old 13th September 2009, 04:19   #16  |  Link

Perfect. Thank you.
Old 13th September 2009, 14:10   #17  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Perhaps the "announcement" should be linked-to under Forum Rule 6. I for one don't recall ever having seen it before this thread.
Old 13th September 2009, 14:25   #18  |  Link

That's what Doom9 said he will do!
Old 13th September 2009, 19:05   #19  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Argh, you're right, he did! I didn't realize at 1st reading that his [quote] was referring directly to that verbiage in Rule 6. I get it now...
Old 16th September 2009, 10:39   #20  |  Link
Midol

Thank you very much

I might not post here often but I do read a bit, oddly though, I'd never been in Newbies!