Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 11th June 2011, 07:30   #1  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Cutting Lossless 5.1 Audio (DTS-HD MA) into smaller files

Operating Systems:
Laptop: Windows Vista (SP2), 32-bit
Desktop: Windows XP (SP3), 32-bit

Original Idea:
I have Big Trouble In Little China on Blu-ray. I bought it after reading one of the special features: Isolated Score in 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio.
I have DVDFab and eac3to (with included plugins: ArcSfot, Sonic, etc).

I want to be able to edit the Isolated Score (5.1 DTS-HD MA) into smaller tracks and retain the 5.1 surround and the lossless quality.
I can just as well pop the movie into the bluray machine, but there are long periods of silence in between music cues.
There also aren't any chapters in accordance to the music cues (unlike other movies with Isolated Scores: The Corruptor), so I'll have to do everything from scratch.

I understand that delaycut does a wonderful job, but it's file types and sizes are limited.
WAV files cannot be too large (I think the maximum is 4gb before wv64 is required for proper reading).
DTS files are limited to the core of the DTS (lossy).
And I'm not working with MPA or AC3 at the moment.

The Tools:
DVDFab
Blu-Ray movie
eac3to (fully loaded)
Adobe Audition
Wavosaur
delaycut

The Process:
Method 1
1) "Blu-rayRipper to MKV" using DVDFab.
-Remux mode (video+audio), no subtitles.
-"Remove HD Audio" is not enabled.
-"Title Start/End Settings" is set to accommodate only a limited number chapters at a time and not the whole movie.
-DVDFab seems to be the only program that can use chapters anywhere in during the movie (eg. chapters 3-8 only)
2) eac3to source.mkv 2: audio.wav (single wav file retaining lossless audio and 5.1 surround sound)
3) eac3to source.mkv 2: audio(stereo).wav -down2
4) import stereo wav into Adobe Audition to see where music starts and end (with extreme zoom-ins).
-calculate the "improper time" (MM:SS.mss) shown into whole milliseconds (mss...) (MMx60,000)+(SSx1,000)+ms=mss....
(not including hours...as the finished .wav file has more time, the larger the size; the larger the size, delaycut reads it improperly)
-If there's enough space before/after the music cuts off, I'll add roughly 200-300ms to the final calculations to allow for silence.
5) use "delaycut" to cut the files into smaller tracks.

Method 2
1) same as method 1
2) same as method 1
3) import wav into "wavosaur" to view the 5.1 wav and change the view to show seconds instead of minutes.
-convert SS.mss to mss... (SSx60,000)+mss...=mss...
4) use "delaycut" to cut the files into smaller tracks.

Final Step:
Convert to FLAC

Optional Step:
Keep the WAV files to convert to DTS-CD/DVD-A.

I've just decided to give Wavosaur a second look, as it does support multichannel .wav sources.
However, I'm not sure how well Wavosaur is recommended for editing multichannel .wav files.

Are there drawbacks if I were to import the .wav file (converted from eac3to) into Wavosaur and use that to edit the music into smaller tracks?
Or should I stick with delaycut?

Last edited by Sparktank; 26th June 2011 at 04:38. Reason: changed due to experimenting
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cut, dts-hd ma, lossless, surround sound, trim