Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 16th November 2007, 20:53   #41  |  Link
glen8

Thanks for the super quick reply. I didn't know sony had released a few firmware....I only checked the other week

Will go update now

:edit: Yep, I need a firmware update. Doing it now :-)
glen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 21:53   #42  |  Link
glen8

3r1c, I don't suppose you know how to convert hd-dvd to blu-ray so it will play on the PS3 do you?

I got as far as stripping the video/audio from the .evo and remuxing it back through tsremux to .m2ts/blu-ray structure but the result was very choppy.

I'm sure there's an easy way to do it.

Thanks!
Old 16th November 2007, 22:37   #43  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen8 View Post
3r1c, I don't suppose you know how to convert hd-dvd to blu-ray so it will play on the PS3 do you?

I got as far as stripping the video/audio from the .evo and remuxing it back through tsremux to .m2ts/blu-ray structure but the result was very choppy.

I'm sure there's an easy way to do it.

Thanks!
Nope, i could never get any blu-ray that wasnt mpeg2 to play back on the ps3, even ones i made from my camcorder.

You have to recompress it to x264, but i never done this.
3r1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 22:47   #44  |  Link
Grimmi Meloni

I gave your ffmpeg commandline a shot on my linux box, but no success. :-(

Has anyone else succeeded in doing this manually? All I get is "incompatible data" on my PAL ps3. I tried renaming the vob to mpg but the only difference is, that the ps3 tries to play it once and then afterwards says it's incompatible data.

3rc1 - What are the exact steps your software take? Are they based on some other tutorial?

So again - basically all I have to do is:
- extract the h264 and ac3 streams
- change the level of the video to 4.1
- ffmpeg it into a vob

Or am I missing something in between?

Last edited by Grimmi Meloni; 16th November 2007 at 22:50.
Grimmi Meloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 23:21   #45  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmi Meloni View Post
I gave your ffmpeg commandline a shot on my linux box, but no success. :-(

Has anyone else succeeded in doing this manually? All I get is "incompatible data" on my PAL ps3. I tried renaming the vob to mpg but the only difference is, that the ps3 tries to play it once and then afterwards says it's incompatible data.

3rc1 - What are the exact steps your software take? Are they based on some other tutorial?

So again - basically all I have to do is:
- extract the h264 and ac3 streams
- change the level of the video to 4.1
- ffmpeg it into a vob

Or am I missing something in between?
thats what it does.

how are you changing the level to 4.1 without h264info which only runs on windows?

The hex method will not work in all my tests only changing with h264info will play on the ps3.
Old 16th November 2007, 23:51   #46  |  Link
Grimmi Meloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r1c View Post
how are you changing the level to 4.1 without h264info which only runs on windows?
I had to implement my own editor. Basically itīs a java application which uses random access IO to get to the first few bytes and change the level. Anyway - I donīt think itīs connected to the level, since i use the same base streams for either vob or mp4. Only (but major :-) ) difference is that the streams work in an mp4 container, and in the vob it does not. OK, that and the ac3 vs. aac thing.

Anyway - I will give your tool a shot on my windows box, and see how it goes.
Old 17th November 2007, 00:28   #47  |  Link
3r1c

Your level changer is definately the problem.

I tried this method first in my program, editing the bytes with random access, the ps3 wont play it.
Old 17th November 2007, 10:27   #48  |  Link
Grimmi Meloni

Quote:
Your level changer is definately the problem.

I tried this method first in my program, editing the bytes with random access, the ps3 wont play it.
Too bad, but I guessed so since h264info also takes quite some time to finish itīs job. Does anybody know what exactly h264info does change in the files - except for the level?

Another thing: I tried streaming the file of your app to my PS3 through fuppes. No luck there. I had to put it on a dvd-rw media, to make it work. So I guess there are two problems here. Well, one step at a time....
Old 17th November 2007, 11:23   #49  |  Link
ExSport

to 3r1c:
Thanks for your great prog, tried it today on PlanetEarth 1080p.
What I found is that original resolution of MKV has 1920x1080 but "converted" VOB(it begins from H264 extraction) file has 1920x1088.
Maybe bug in Media Info, maybe the problem why on Ps3 there is a blank screen.
Tried to fix it with H264info to set it back to 1920x1080 but without success:-(
What resolution(1080p source) was your extracted H264 file or final VOB?
Thanks ExSport

EDIT:
I forgot one bug:-)
When you use regional settings which use decimal sign "," instead of "." then application will terminate with an error.
But it is maybe problem of used utilities, didn't tried them alone...

Last edited by ExSport; 17th November 2007 at 12:43.
ExSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 12:34   #50  |  Link
akirax

Quote:
Make sure you are playing from the beginning of the file and you have the 2.0 firmware.

I do not have a PAL ps3 to try this on, but they should play it the same, if not its a bug in the ps3 itself.

In the first version the sample you gave me played the video back slower (at 23.976 instead of 25 fps) this was corrected in the 1.2 fix, after the fix it played correctly for me.

I just double checked it again with your sample and it does indeed play back properly.

If your streaming through tversity make sure in Settings/Transcoder is set to "Never", save and restart.
Tversity sometimes tries to transcode the vob if set to "only when needed", this must not happen.

Here is the vob file that played for me, converted from your sample.
http://www.3r1c.eu/mkv2vob/25fps-sample.rar
Your sample works, but when I make is desincronized.

I play from the beginning of the file and I have the 2.0 firmware.

I download the mkv2vob.rar at this moment (not old version), extract, open mkv2vob.exe, select a .mkv (spiderman sample), I select the output name .vob, save, wait to finish.

I burn the sample to a DVD-RW and then play from there or copy to the HD of PS3 and is desincronized.

In my computer also is desincronized.

I need special codec pack?

Regards.
akirax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 13:00   #51  |  Link
dd03pehe

First I must thank you for a great app! I have been waiting for an app like this for a very long time now.

I have the exactly the same issue as akirax. On the files I made myself the video plays fast the first 10 seconds and then becomes choppy and the a/v is out of sync. On your files, however, it works perfect.

I have only tried on 2 files so far but I will investigate it some more during the day and see if I can find whats causing it.

I also got the 'no titles' problem where I cant see the .vob files on my USB memory. But I did just set it to display all and then it worked fine.

Im on a PAL PS3 with 2.0 firmware.

Regards,
dd03pehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 13:22   #52  |  Link
dd03pehe

Strange.. If I click display on my PS3 during the playback it cant calculate the bitrate on my files. It says - kbps on both the audio and the video. On your file (the heroes sample) it can calculate without problems.

Regards,
Old 17th November 2007, 13:32   #53  |  Link
glen8

ok, I converted two tv shows lastnight from .mkv to .vob

I burnt them onto a dvd and watched both on my PS3

I'm 99% happy. The only problem is that it sometimes goes slightly out of sync. It seems to be around the middle but usually goes back in sync again
Old 17th November 2007, 13:42   #54  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Thanks very much for the sample 3r1c...

Cheers
Old 17th November 2007, 14:56   #55  |  Link
dd03pehe

Yay. I got it to work now :-)
What I did was
1. Extract the .mkv to .h264 and .ac3 with MKVExtractGui
2. Change level to 4.1 with h264info_alpha0011.
IMPORTANT: If I used the alpha 12 version It didnt work!
3. Mux it together with your ffmpeg line: ffmpeg -r 23.976 -f h264 -i video.h264 -f ac3 -i audio.ac3 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f vob output.vob

Thats it. I only tried on a 50MB 720p.mkv though, will try on something bigger now.
Old 17th November 2007, 15:49   #56  |  Link
ExSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd03pehe View Post
2. Change level to 4.1 with h264info_alpha0011.
IMPORTANT: If I used the alpha 12 version It didnt work!
And what about Alpha 13?
ExSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 16:05   #57  |  Link
dd03pehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSport View Post
And what about Alpha 13?
Sorry I meant the alpha 13. The one that came bundled with the mkv2vob.rar didnt work or me. With alpha 11 it works perfect.
Old 17th November 2007, 19:06   #58  |  Link
dd03pehe

Works to stream from an UPnP media server aswell Watching my new created vobs from my server now and it works like a charm. I have never been as happy with my PS3 as I am today!
Old 17th November 2007, 19:27   #59  |  Link
wizziwig

I have not tried it on a PS3 but I'm surprised that it plays these files. I looked at the 720p sample on your site and it didn't play on any Windows player I tried (mplayer, vlc, powerdvd, etc.). I only get audio.

Has anyone been able to play these files on anything but a PS3?
wizziwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 19:30   #60  |  Link
glen8

Just converting another .mkv now which is a 2hr 720p movie. It is coming up with the message 'buffer underflow, packet too large'. It looks like it's muxing it anyway so I'll let it carry on and test it when finished.

To the poster above, I haven't tested them on the PC but will do and report back