Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th April 2014, 05:15   #1  |  Link
clanderson

Stuttering with MadVR and .TS file

Hey guys, I'm tying to play a .TS file using MadVR, but am getting max 20fps when in full screen - 60fps while windowed. When I change to Haali or something else, the problem is fixed.

What's the deal - any suggestions?

w/
Windows 7 x64
i7 3630QM
Geforce 670MX
clanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 16:50   #2  |  Link
Ceremony

i guess your upsampling when you go in fullscreen and your pc (probably gpu) is unable to scale fast enough to display the frames.

press crtl+J to display framedrop information and such with madvr.

common performance killers in madvr are nnedi3, more than 3 taps in image scaling (jinc, spline, lanczos, etc), smooth motion and error diffusion dithering.

lower the settings till you get stable and smooth playback (movie frame interval time > rendering time)
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 17:33   #3  |  Link
clanderson

It is upscaling using Lanczos, 3 taps.
What is a good solution for this...? Using another option besides Lanczos only provides minimal improvement.

Selecting "Nearest Neightbor" under "processing done by GPU texture units" solves the problem, but the image looks somewhat pixelated and grainy

Last edited by clanderson; 1st May 2014 at 17:41.
Old 1st May 2014, 18:55   #4  |  Link
Ceremony

bilinear on GPU should be also plenty fast.
also, my current configuration would also be unable to play 60fps videos, but anything below 30fps it can handle flawlessly.

i rarely encounter high framerate videos, so it works for me. if you cant live with it, try the trade quality for performance option and so on. there is no "the optimal settings for madvr" after all.
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 19:52   #5  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Well, if it's perfomance problem then there're 2 good soultions:

1) use discrete gpu instead of intel HD. It's very fast, however it'll result in higher power consumption,
To do this you'll need to rename your player .exe file (media players names like "mpc-hc.exe" are blacklisted for some reason) and force it to use discrete gpu in nVidia control panel.

2) use DXVA scaling for high framerate videos (after deinterlacing). It's quite good on Intel (about as good as Lanczos), and it's very fast.
You can create profile for this, see this manual - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...17#post1271417 (you'll need to use deintFps).

Last edited by vivan; 1st May 2014 at 19:58.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 02:30   #6  |  Link
clanderson

I just tried playing another video which was 25fps and got a crazy high number of dropped frames... I was able to negate this by eliminating smooth motion in MadVR.

What's the deal?! My hardware should be more than adequate! Playing these files doesn't use much of my CPU at all either; maybe 10%. Switching to Nvidia Cuvid in LAV didn't help at all, if that's what you meant by forcing it to use my GPU Vivian.

I'm a bit dumbfounded here..

By the way, thanks for the help guys - I seriously appreciate it!
Old 7th May 2014, 19:49   #7  |  Link
Asmodian

MadVR uses the GPU to do all calculations (except IVTC). Switching to Nvida Cuvid in LAV is not what vivan was talking about. As vivan said you need to look in the nVidia control panel.

The 3630QM has a very slow integrated GPU, you need to use your Geforce 670MX instead for madVR (force your media player to use the 670MX).
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 04:56   #8  |  Link
clanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
MadVR uses the GPU to do all calculations (except IVTC). Switching to Nvida Cuvid in LAV is not what vivan was talking about. As vivan said you need to look in the nVidia control panel.

The 3630QM has a very slow integrated GPU, you need to use your Geforce 670MX instead for madVR (force your media player to use the 670MX).
Ooooh, I see!
So, how do I force the media player to use my dedicated graphics card again? As Vivian stated, it is kind of blacklisted - I'm stuck using integrated GPU.

EDIT: Found this amazing post - it's a little program and worked amazingly quick! https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130102171903AArSA7S

Last edited by clanderson; 11th May 2014 at 05:04.