Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 20th February 2022, 00:49   #31181  |  Link
Timmy256

Hi everyone,

Sorry to have bothered you with my posts, it wasn’t my intention. I’m no video engineer as you guys; just an “end user” who found out jdobbs’ tool and used it only one time and didn’t work as expected; hence my posting here trying to find out whats going on.

As I said, I’m not a video engineer (I’m a software engineer, though); I don’t understand (nor do I have a personal or professional interest) in all the video advanced terms, technicalities and codecs understanding. I just wanted to shrink one Blu-Ray to be able to back it up in a smaller disc as a “n00b”.

From my experience here, you have years of knowdledge and learnings, but that didn't translate (nor the community didn't seem) to be very open or friendly to newcomers or people interested in just using the tool and get on with their life. But that’s OK, you are free to foster whatever community you like!

Thanks again for the original tool and, hopefully, some expert; community-approved user will stumble into the same issue some time in the future years and benefit the whole community while troubleshooting.
Timmy256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2022, 21:26   #31182  |  Link
ggtop

Autocrop()

Hi jdobbs,

out of interest. Would it be possible for you to make parameter "threshold" for Avisynth function "Autocrop ()" available through hidden opts? I sometimes encounter too much cropping with default value. Changing AVS and re-running Last command isn't very handy...

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AutoCrop

Thank you,
ggtop
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2022, 20:19   #31183  |  Link
MrVideo

Importing BD folders

Is there a hidden option whereby the numbers and length text that is added by BDRB can be disabled? What I want displayed in the menu is only the folder name.

Thanks
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:33   #31184  |  Link
gonca

It would also be great if we could have an option for longer movie names
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:49   #31185  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
It would also be great if we could have an option for longer movie names
I second that. But, this would apply to importing of single files as well. Many a time TV show episode titles won't fit in the allocated space. When the menu only contains one column, there is lots of space for lengthy titles.
Old 23rd February 2022, 10:18   #31186  |  Link
thecrowler

Hi all,
is it possible to manually update NVEnc in the "BDRB\Tools" folder to the latest release on Github (rigaya/NVEnc)?
Regards.
thecrowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:46   #31187  |  Link
MrVideo

You can do so, but keep in mind that jdobbs tests any and all new releases to make sure that it doesn't break anything. Therefore, if you do, you can't complain when something goes wrong and it is related to the encoder.

For example, I've installed the 1/24/22 version of tsmuxer, as I need its ability to work with DD+ audio. TsMuxer has changed a bunch of naming schemes, which jdobbs has discovered. That means he can't use the new tsMuxer until he has sorted out all of the changes. I've run across one of the naming schemes and I have to deal with it manually when I use BDRB for a certain operation.

In other words, do so at your own risk.
Old 24th February 2022, 07:35   #31188  |  Link
MrVideo

I've learned some more about the use of titles.inf. Say you have a directory with 10 titles. Not all of them will fit on a BD. So you uncheck the ones that you'll watch later. In the meantime, there are some more titles that you will want to add. After watching some of the titles on the BD, you go back to the directory and removed the viewed titles. You then add the new titles and restart BDRB and import that directory. The list of titles is totally fubar.

There are only two ways to fix it. 1) you remove the titles.inf and start over 2) you manually edit the titles.inf file. With #1 you have to remove the numbers and length text, again (hence the above request). With the #2 option, you won't have the issue with the number and length text.

But, you still have to do something, because BDRB loses its marbles when a titles.inf file is used again and the content of the directory has changed.
Old 24th February 2022, 11:51   #31189  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
I've learned some more about the use of titles.inf. Say you have a directory with 10 titles. Not all of them will fit on a BD. So you uncheck the ones that you'll watch later. In the meantime, there are some more titles that you will want to add. After watching some of the titles on the BD, you go back to the directory and removed the viewed titles. You then add the new titles and restart BDRB and import that directory. The list of titles is totally fubar.

There are only two ways to fix it. 1) you remove the titles.inf and start over 2) you manually edit the titles.inf file. With #1 you have to remove the numbers and length text, again (hence the above request). With the #2 option, you won't have the issue with the number and length text.

But, you still have to do something, because BDRB loses its marbles when a titles.inf file is used again and the content of the directory has changed.
Try editing the inf file in BD_RB directly, it works.
I do it quite often.
Old 24th February 2022, 23:46   #31190  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Try editing the inf file in BD_RB directly, it works.
I do it quite often.
And how is one supposed to do that when the list of titles shown within BDRB is totally incorrect? For example, I removed from the directory the titles I had watched. When BDRB displayed the list, two of the titles that I removed are still there. Two of the titles that are in the directory are not in the list.

Only when I manually edit the titles.inf file is the list now correct.

There's more:

I then added a new title and ended up with:
Code:
Title-1
Title-2
Title-3
04. Title-3 [0:44:00]
The title that I added, alphabetically it is equal to "Title-0."

Based upon my experience, BDRB was not designed to re-import a directory with changes. The content needs to be the same, or you have to manually edit the titles.inf file.

Update: I just edited the titles.inf file to add the new title. I placed it in the 4th position and when I restarted BDRB, I ended up with the same title list as shown above. When I edited the titles.inf file to place the new title alphabetically in the correct position and restarted BDRB, the new title showed up, but had "01. " in front of the title and the "[length]" at the end of the title, even though the title.inf file has no such text in it.

That tells me that BDRB has a hidden file of some sort so that it knows that the newly added title was not there before. That would explain the issue I had with a title that kept returning, as noted in previous posts.

Last edited by MrVideo; 25th February 2022 at 06:58.
Old 26th February 2022, 00:14   #31191  |  Link
gonca

You have the original output (created structure from import)
Load this into BD_RB
Edit the menu
Save and continue

EXAMPLE
DISC>disc 1, disc 2, etc [folder structure]
import
Edit menu etc
output>NEW DISC

Next time
NEW DISC
Add DISC > (BD/NEW DISC + DISC) structure
import
Edit menu etc
output>NEW DISC 2

Do not touch the inf file directly
Just uncheck the movies you don't want and add the ones you do

Last edited by gonca; 26th February 2022 at 13:42.
Old 26th February 2022, 04:20   #31192  |  Link
MrVideo

Please re-red what I posted. I think you have totally missed what I'm doing. What you are suggesting would be great if the directory had ALL of the titles I would be dealing with. Because the content of the directory would not be changing.

The issue is when the content of the directory changes. After viewing some of the content on the disc. I remove that content from the directory. At that point the titles.inf file no longer matches what is in the directory. When I remove content, most of the time I add new content to the directory. That makes the directory more out-of-step with the titles.inf file. BDRB can't seem to deal with directory content changes.
Old 26th February 2022, 13:43   #31193  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Please re-red what I posted. I think you have totally missed what I'm doing. What you are suggesting would be great if the directory had ALL of the titles I would be dealing with. Because the content of the directory would not be changing.

The issue is when the content of the directory changes. After viewing some of the content on the disc. I remove that content from the directory. At that point the titles.inf file no longer matches what is in the directory. When I remove content, most of the time I add new content to the directory. That makes the directory more out-of-step with the titles.inf file. BDRB can't seem to deal with directory content changes.
Re-read post
It has been edited
Old 26th February 2022, 18:30   #31194  |  Link
MrVideo

As pointed out in my post, that doesn't work. It might if you start with a single disc and then add a single disc, for a total of two. When working with multiple titles, it tends to fail, as pointed out in post 31189.
Old 26th February 2022, 18:41   #31195  |  Link
gonca

I start with multiple discs and a create a disc structure with menu
Later on I add a new disc to that collection, or replace a disc with an upgraded version of one of the movies, or both.
IT WORKS, I do it on a regular basis
But you just don't want to get it, fine, there is no issue with the menu creation so good luck!
Old 26th February 2022, 19:41   #31196  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
IT WORKS, I do it on a regular basis
As I've pointed out, with plenty of examples, for me it does not work.
Old 2nd March 2022, 09:39   #31197  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrowler View Post
Hi all,
is it possible to manually update NVEnc in the "BDRB\Tools" folder to the latest release on Github (rigaya/NVEnc)?
Regards.
Possible but not recommended.
As pointed out in the very first post BDRB works best with the shipped or linked versions.
cartman0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2022, 10:31   #31198  |  Link
MrVideo

I've run into an issue with backing up a UHD disc. This has happened before, so it didn't come as a surprise. That said, this is more informational than anything else.

I'm on my third try to try and get it to fit on a BD25. The original M2TS file is about 60GB. 8.1GB of which is the TrueHD and AC3 audio streams. Using the default settings, the re-encoded video was about 30GB. Certainly missed the mark. Then tried 21000 as a custom setting. Still missed. I then tried 19000. Still larger than the target by about 3GB. I'm now trying 18000.

But what I've noticed in the config file is that when a job is started, the target size is equal to the previous setting. For a custom size of 19000, the target was 21000. For the current custom setting of 18000, the target is 19000. I have no idea why the current target setting is set to the previous custom setting.

UPDATE: I have to yet another attempt. It would probably have been easier if I could have selected a bitrate instead of a target size. The original file is a 29.7 Mbps. I figure that using 15 Mbps would have fit. The last run BDRB set the bitrate to 16 Mbps. Frankly, I'm not sure that 15 Mbps will cut it. I noticed that the target rate stayed at 19000, even though I've now set 17000. Nope, cancelled the 17000, as the bitrate is a fraction about 15 Mbps, which I don't think it is going to make it. So, I'm trying 16000, yielding a bitrate just over 14 Mbps. If this doesn't do it, I'm heading to bed, as I've already spent over 4 hours on this single project.

UPDATE #2: It took a target size of 15000. That is about 64% of the default 23500. That is a big math error.

Last edited by MrVideo; 2nd March 2022 at 13:11.
Old 6th March 2022, 11:42   #31199  |  Link
cartman0208

Strange ... the target size in my inf file matches the set target exactly ...
Are you doing Full disk backup? Movie Only?
I also had the targed size missed on rare occasions, but that was only about one or two GB ...
cartman0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2022, 22:36   #31200  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
Strange
Are you doing Full disk backup?
Yep, strange and yep. It does indeed normally hit without issues.