Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 7th June 2013, 12:48   #2221  |  Link
Selur

I'm pretty sure I didn't,...

I checked:
1. downloaded and extracted http://www.embedupload.com/?d=8UU3UQQYYN (to make sure I really use the same files)
2. deleted test50i.mkv and test25i.mkv
3. called:
Code:
mkvmerge --ui-language en -o "H:\Output\test50i.mkv" -d 0 --default-track 0:yes --default-duration 0:5000000/100000i --aspect-ratio-factor 0:1.333 --fourcc 0:MP4V --no-chapters --compression -1:none --forced-track 0:yes --no-audio --no-subtitles "H:\Output\13_19_13_3010_40.264" --default-track 0:yes --sync 0:-80 --forced-track 0:no -a 0 --compression -1:none --no-video --no-subtitles --no-chapters "H:\Output\iId_12_aid_0_DELAY_-80ms_13_19_13_3010_39.ac3"
then
Code:
mkvmerge --ui-language en -o "H:\Output\test25i.mkv" -d 0 --default-track 0:yes --default-duration 0:2500000/100000i --aspect-ratio-factor 0:1.333 --fourcc 0:MP4V --no-chapters --compression -1:none --forced-track 0:yes --no-audio --no-subtitles "H:\Output\13_19_13_3010_40.264" --default-track 0:yes --sync 0:-80 --forced-track 0:no -a 0 --compression -1:none --no-video --no-subtitles --no-chapters "H:\Output\iId_12_aid_0_DELAY_-80ms_13_19_13_3010_39.ac3"
then
Code:
mkvmerge --ui-language en -o "H:\Output\test25p.mkv" -d 0 --default-track 0:yes --default-duration 0:2500000/100000p --aspect-ratio-factor 0:1.333 --fourcc 0:MP4V --no-chapters --compression -1:none --forced-track 0:yes --no-audio --no-subtitles "H:\Output\13_19_13_3010_40.264" --default-track 0:yes --sync 0:-80 --forced-track 0:no -a 0 --compression -1:none --no-video --no-subtitles --no-chapters "H:\Output\iId_12_aid_0_DELAY_-80ms_13_19_13_3010_39.ac3"
-> only the test25p file plays properly.
As a side note: notice that the content is not mbaff, but paff interlaced.

Cu Selur
Old 7th June 2013, 13:05   #2222  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Your very first case has one 0 too few. 0:5000000/100000i = 0:5/1i = 5 fields per second?

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 7th June 2013, 13:08   #2223  |  Link
Selur

Sorry (well spotted!), but still there is something wrong, since the last three calls are all fine and still the only file that plays properly is the 25p one.
Old 7th June 2013, 14:47   #2224  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I don't know how paff interlacing differs from mbaff. But from what you're sayin it seems thon the frame /field flag.

at one Matroska block contains one full frame. In such a case a duration of 40ms per Matroska block is appropriate. Remember : you're setting the default duration for a single Matroska block. You're not setting a frame rate. Mkvmerge does not think in frames. It thinks in single blocks. The h264 code (as well as other similar places) calculate a block's duration by multiplying the default duration by either 1 or
2 dependingThat’s why the nomenclature "50i" or "25p" doesn't always make sense.

However, that's how mkvmerge works internally. Changing that to work on a frame basis amounts to rewriting the whole application. Not something I'm willing to consider.

Old 7th June 2013, 14:51   #2225  |  Link
Selur

Quote:
Remember : you're setting the default duration for a single Matroska block. You're not setting a frame rate.
I always forget that.

Quote:
However, that's how mkvmerge works internally. Changing that to work on a frame basis amounts to rewriting the whole application. Not something I'm willing to consider.
No, real problem now that I know how to set the flags for paff content I can remux my files.
Old 14th June 2013, 14:01   #2226  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

I'm trying to combine 4 flacs (the same frequency , bitdepth , channels ) using append feature

Everything seems to be ok after remuxing. Duration is correct and plays ok in media player.

Code:
General
Complete name                            : E:\combined_flacs.mka
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 1.35 GiB
Duration                                 : 2h 41mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 1 192 Kbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-06-14 12:53:02
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v6.2.0 ('Promised Land') built on Apr 28 2013 12:22:01
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : FLAC
Format/Info                              : Free Lossless Audio Codec
Codec ID                                 : A_FLAC
Duration                                 : 2h 41mn
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Writing library                          : libFLAC 1.3.0 (UTC 2013-05-26)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
However after demuxing with mkvextract new flac file has incorrect duration despite correct file size. All media players see only first 40 min (duration of first chunk)

Code:
General
Complete name                            : C:\temp\0_audio_Undetermined.flac
File size                                : 1.34 GiB
Duration                                 : 40mn 25s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 4 760 Kbps

Audio
Duration                                 : 40mn 25s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 4 706 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 1.33 GiB (99%)
Writing library                          : libFLAC 1.3.0 (UTC 2013-05-26)
I've even tried demuxing .mka with ffmpeg and still no luck.
ffmpeg throws out bunch of errors and final file again has correct size but duration is wrong (see above mediainfo report)

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 14th June 2013 at 14:22.
Old 14th June 2013, 14:29   #2227  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
I'm trying to combine 4 flacs (the same frequency , bitdepth , channels ) using append feature
Yeah that won't work correctly as you noticed. FLAC streams start with a metadata block. This block is required for playback, that's why mkvmerge keeps them.

The problem is twofold: 1. all of the four files contain metadata blocks and 2. each metadata block contains the number of samples in this stream. mkvmerge keeps all metadata blocks (which is not really correct), and it doesn't update the very first one (which isn't correct either).

So when you extract the single track back into a FLAC file it starts with the original metadata block of the first of the four original files. It still contains the number of samples appropriate for that first file, not the sum of all samples of all the files. Hence MediaInfo reporting the duration it is reporting.

I will most likely never fix that. You're free to open a bug report for it, of course; that way there's at least a chance I might get around to it one day.

Old 14th June 2013, 14:38   #2228  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

S**T! I was hoping to find a workaround for joining flacs without re-encoding process. It turns out that after all those years there is no tool which could merge flacs without lengthy re-encoding. You can split/join lossy OGG Vorbis losslessly but you can not do the same with plain lossless format!
Old 14th June 2013, 14:45   #2229  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

As far as I know there's nothing really preventing appending two FLAC files if their basic parameters match (sample rate, number of channels). Of course a tool that can do that will have to adjust the metadata (at least the STREAMINFO and SEEKTABLE blocks, but it should also deal gracefully with VORBIS_COMMENTS and PICTURE blocks). However, I've never done that myself and cannot give you pointers to tools that manage to do it.

Old 14th June 2013, 20:11   #2230  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hi Atak,

I actually tried doing the same as you a few months ago, with no success...

In the end I had to re-encode using CUETools 2.1.4 which performed the task very quickly. So quickly in fact that I'm not sure if it did actually re-encode them.

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 14th June 2013 at 20:14.
Old 16th June 2013, 07:34   #2231  |  Link
Skylinestar

My CPU processor is Intel Core2Duo. Will I get significant improvement (less time) in demuxing and muxing MKV files if I were to upgrade to Intel Core i5 cpu?
I don't encode/convert video files. I just add on srt subs and remux the mkv.
Old 16th June 2013, 07:35   #2232  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Muxing is mostly limited to IO speed, i don't think a faster CPU is going to help you much.
Old 16th June 2013, 07:44   #2233  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

What nevcairiel said. mkvmerge is I/O bound in almost all cases. Where it isn't limited by hard drive I/O speed it is limited by memory I/O speed.

Old 16th June 2013, 14:41   #2234  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
S**T! I was hoping to find a workaround for joining flacs without re-encoding process. It turns out that after all those years there is no tool which could merge flacs without lengthy re-encoding. You can split/join lossy OGG Vorbis losslessly but you can not do the same with plain lossless format!
How is recoding flac lengthy in 2013 (just wondering), it should be a matter of seconds?
Old 17th June 2013, 06:14   #2235  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
mkvmerge is I/O bound in almost all cases.
Mmh, recently it felt like an old bug returned you had fixed some while ago cause muxing took 10+ min longer than simlpy copying over the file.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Old 17th June 2013, 13:27   #2236  |  Link
Snowknight26

VC-1 muxing takes considerably longer than other formats.
Old 17th June 2013, 13:33   #2237  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3 View Post
How is recoding flac lengthy in 2013 (just wondering), it should be a matter of seconds?
When I encode 2h - 3h 6 channel movie soundtrack encoding process using plain FLAC encoder on my Q6600@3Ghz can take even 10 minutes. Simple remuxing would take less than 30 seconds.
FLAC CL is obviously faster but it does not support wave64 and multiple input files (joining on fly).

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 17th June 2013 at 13:48.
Old 28th June 2013, 09:51   #2238  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v6.3.0 released

Hey,

I've released MKVToolNix 6.3.0. It fixes a couple of minor issues and contains only two small enhancements: saving the window positions and mmg being truly portable now (if it's not installed via the installer).

For package maintainers: nothing's changed compared to MKVToolNix 6.2.0.

You can download the source code or one of the binaries.

Here's the full ChangeLog since release 6.2.0:

Quote:
2013-06-27 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Released v6.3.0.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: When appending unframed AVC/h.264 tracks and setting the default duration the second and all following source parts will use the same default duration as set for the first part. Fixes #889.
* all: enhancement (Windows only): mmg will store its settings in a file "mkvtoolnix.ini" in the same folder mmg.exe is located in if MKVToolNix hasn't been installed via its installer. If it has been installed then the settings are stored in the Windows registry. This way MKVToolNix is truly portable.
* mmg: new feature: mmg's windows and dialogs will remember and restore their positions and sizes. Implements #878.

2013-06-26 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: AVC/h.264 output module: fixed writing the wrong values if --fix-bitstream-timing-information is used. Fixes #888.

2013-06-24 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: FLV reader: Implemented deriving the video dimensions for FLV1 type tracks from the frame content if they're not given within a script tag. Fixes #880.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed handling MPEG transport streams with broken PES packet streams. Fixes #879 and #887.
* mkvextract: bug fix: mkvextract writes the correct value for the "block alignment" value in the header of WAV files (mostly affects mono PCM audio tracks). Fixes #883.

2013-05-26 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* all: new feature: added a Portuguese translation of the programs by Ricardo Perdigão (see AUTHORS).
Have fun.

Old 28th June 2013, 09:56   #2239  |  Link
Selur

Thanks!!
Old 28th June 2013, 13:40   #2240  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
* all: enhancement (Windows only): mmg will store its settings in a file "mkvtoolnix.ini" in the same folder mmg.exe is located in if MKVToolNix hasn't been installed via its installer. If it has been installed then the settings are stored in the Windows registry. This way MKVToolNix is truly portable.

Closed Thread