Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 17th November 2002, 07:54   #21  |  Link
CoZZm0

No go still. I have re-ripped the VOB's incl IFO (even tho there is only 1 vob for this "extra"), put them on C drive, created the DVD2AVI project, made a new AVS file put the mpeg2dec.dll file in the same folder, so all the files are together ... and still get the error for line 2. Its gotta be something i'm doing wrong here.

------
LoadPlugin("mpeg2dec.dll")
mpeg2source("C:\new\newcar.d2v")
-----

2 lines of script there isn't much that can go wrong ... really.
The only thing it can be is that i'm screwing up something when i do the DVD2AVI part of it.

Load the VOB in DVD2AVI, hit F5 to preview it make sure it works. Video menu:
iDCT: 32bit
Field op: none
colour space: YUV
YUV>RGB: PC Scale
no changes any where else on that menu
Audio menu:
Track number: Track 1
Output method: Disable (also tried demux)
Dobly digital decode: didn't touch anything
48>44K: off

then i just save the project and that is that... not sure why its screwing up. the VOB plays fine in PowerDVD. Not sure what else could be causing the "issue". I even tried Nandub but same error.

"AVISynth Open Failure:
Unrecognized Exception!
(C:\new\newcar.avs, line 2)

Anyways as i wrote all that you posted again and yeh, it seems like a lost cause. lol.
CoZZm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2002, 09:24   #22  |  Link
CoZZm0

Well i kinda found a way around it ... If i use DVD2SVCD to rip and convert it and use the AVS and d2v created by DVD2SVCD, i can load it up in vdub ... friggen weird stuff ?? oh well.
Old 17th November 2002, 11:07   #23  |  Link
CoZZm0

OK i think i'm getting somwhere with this ... i've re-done each of the videos into a 16 second AVI file which is like 315MB ish, uncompressed frames etc. I have converted the background from BMP (still image) to AVI with vdub. All of that is OK. I can open each in WMP and they play/display fine. Using your script, slightly modified for PAL rather than NTSC i have this ...

---------
clip0=AVISource("D:\SVCD Thumbnails\monstersincmenu.avi")
clip1=AVISource("D:\SVCD Thumbnails\bloopersthumb.avi")
clip2=AVISource("D:\SVCD Thumbnails\birdsthumb.avi")
clip3=AVISource("D:\SVCD Thumbnails\paperthumb.avi")
clip4=AVISource("D:\SVCD Thumbnails\playthumb.avi")
clip5=AVISource("D:\SVCD Thumbnails\newcarthumb.avi")
clip6=AVISource("D:\SVCD Thumbnails\bloopersthumb.avi")

clip0.BicubicResize(480,576)

Layer(clip1.BicubicResize(112,98),"add",255,38,40)
Layer(clip2.BicubicResize(112,98),"add",255,184,40)
Layer(clip3.BicubicResize(112,98),"add",255,336,40)
Layer(clip4.BicubicResize(112,98),"add",255,38,170)
Layer(clip5.BicubicResize(112,98),"add",255,184,170)
Layer(clip6.BicubicResize(112,98),"add",255,336,170)

return last
----------

I have put bloopersthumb.avi in 2x just to make up the 6 videos. When i load the script into vdub i get an error:

Avisynth open failure:
Layer: image formats don't match

Any ideas? have my changes to the co-ords of the thumbs screwed around with the syntax too much? making small progress with lots of re-encoding, and of course your help has been excellent!
One thing that i thought of is that the background pic "clip0" doesn't have any audio or anything to make it last 16 seconds ... perhaps i should somehow get it to be 16 seconds long of just showing that still ... hmmm??
Old 17th November 2002, 16:39   #24  |  Link
matrix

The only thing I can think of is your background indeed. I tried the script even with that pal resolution, and it works here.
Try encoding that pic. with some silent audio. As I wrote earlyer in this thread, you can use another script as audio. Something like:

BlankClip(length=480, width=480, height=480, fps=29.97, color=$000000).ConvertToYUY2

Change the lenght to whatever number of frames you have your thumbnails, and the framerate, to make up for that lenght. Encode it with Tmpg, and use DirectShowSource in the script.
Try that.

Or you can still save it as avi, make the resolution of the blankclip same as your picture, open it in vdub, and use the logo filter to put the pic on top of the blank screen. It works here both ways, whether it's mpeg and use DSsource or it's avi and use avisource.

It might still not work for you. Since a simple script like the one you tried to open the d2v file with, doesn't work.
BTW, does the script created last by DVD2SVCD look the same as the one you created?

This is really frustrating. Even for me. I started all this, and can't come up with an useful advice.
And you've come a long way now, to back up.

Edit

And CoZZm0 let me just remind you that you're not limited at using 6 thumbnails. You can have 4 or 5, or as many as you want. Just have to change the layout to look good. Just in case you make it work.

Edit.

Just remembered one other thing. Before doing anything else, try adding ConvertToRGB32 after each line that opens your files,
clip0=AVISource("D:\SVCD Thumbnails\monstersincmenu.avi").ConvertToRGB32
and at the end, return last.ConvertToYUY2 . When working with mask, I get same error as you if I forget converting to rgb. I'm not sure Layer works only in rgb, coz as I said, I tried your script and works here even without the color conversion.
Just something else to try.

Last edited by matrix; 17th November 2002 at 17:29.
matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2002, 07:26   #25  |  Link
CoZZm0

OK the script works fine if i use just videos as the source. as soon as i put the still there, or the still with video or anything like that it screws up... but i did get it working to overlay the thumbnails onto a video ... but not onto a still background ...

I'll keep working on it to see if i can get it onto a still background which is what i really wanted to begin with.
To create a still background in vdub i opened the single frame AVI and just went to "file > append AVI segment" until i had 2 second worth of video (25 frames) then just saved that and appended that file 16 times to get 16 seconds of video using the still image .. but it didn't work ...

so frustrating that it doesn't give more info about what the problem is.
Old 19th November 2002, 00:00   #26  |  Link
matrix

I just tried with a still image and a blankclip as audio as described earlier in this thread, encoded with tmpg, and it works fine here. I open that with directshowsource.
It doesn't take long, in tmpg the still pic. and a 600 frames "blank audio", took only a few seconds. I never tried with an avi still, but I don't see why wouldn't work.
Something is still wrong down there.
Old 19th November 2002, 09:36   #27  |  Link
CoZZm0

Agrh. I still can get it going. its rooted some how. quite obviously something i'm doing ain't right, perhaps something i don't have installed on my system even? i don't know. i've pretty much given up. i've spent too much time on it already and no matter how many guides, tech documetns and stuff that i read about AVS to make sure i'm getting the paramaters right it just doesnt' work as soon as i use either a directshowsource or an AVI file that is in some way that i can't understand different. The only difference between the AVI files i have is the movies are all identical sizes and the one that i "hand made" despsite the resolution that i make it, it is bigger. dunno what the go is. anyways. thanks for you assistance.
Old 20th November 2002, 13:38   #28  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
and still get the error for line 2. Its gotta be something i'm doing wrong here.
------
LoadPlugin("mpeg2dec.dll")
mpeg2source("C:\new\newcar.d2v")
Use dvd2avi 1.76 instead of 1.77.3.

Quote:
OK the script works fine if i use just videos as the source. as soon as i put the still there, or the still with video or anything like that it screws up... but i did get it working to overlay the thumbnails onto a video ... but not onto a still background ...
Can you describe your problem a little better? Does it give an error message or don't use see the thumbnails?

In the latter case try the following:

clip0=AVISource("D:\SVCD Thumbnails\monstersincmenu.avi").ConvertToRGB24.ConvertToRGB32
clip1=AVISource("D:\SVCD Thumbnails\bloopersthumb.avi").ConvertToRGB32
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 21:31   #29  |  Link
CoZZm0

Hey Wilbert.

Thanks for you ideas. I gave it a go, (didn't need to use DVD2AVI anymore as i'd done all the video conversions, but i'll keep it in mind to use the slightly older version). However, my menus with the still frame background now combine perfectly with the image format conversion information on the end of each line. Totally amazing how such a small command can make it work.

Now to add text labels under each video and i'll be almost done......

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread, all your efforts have helped immensely.