Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 5th March 2008, 20:40   #1  |  Link
bbjay

Blu-Ray MultiAngle

I have a large project coming up for BD that requires multiple angles (3). Before I get the evaluation of Scenarist 4 BD has anyone tried to do accomplish this and if so is BD-J required or can this be done in the HDMV mode and how?

I know from what our Sonic Rep says that it does support multiangle muxing but dont want to waste the 30 day eval trying to figure it out how to do this or learning Java in less than 30 days. It is impossible to even find a company that will take on this project. We found one and it was a $10000 quote. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Would the Sony's Blu-print be a better way to go?

Thanks in advance.
bbjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 22:26   #2  |  Link
Eric69

HDMV does support mulit-angles. Blu Print is easier to work with IMO but costs $60 Gs out the door. Don't know how much experience you have with the spec but don't expect miracles in 30 days..both tools have bugs and will take some experimenting on yours and Sonic's part.

Also remember, you will have the 1st multi-angle BD title in the world here so your going into un-charted territory.

I'd be more than willing help with your project - just to see how things go. We use Blu-Print.

PM me if you'd like
Eric69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 08:37   #3  |  Link
Pelican9
Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric69 View Post
Also remember, you will have the 1st multi-angle BD title in the world here so your going into un-charted territory.
Oh, is it true?
No multi-angle title BD released yet?
I'm looking for it to test my program.

Edit:
After a little research I've found some titles with multi-angle feature.
For example:
Gridiron Gang
The Legend Of Zorro
Incubus: Alive at Red Rocks
etc.

Last edited by Pelican9; 6th March 2008 at 16:15.
Pelican9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 11:25   #4  |  Link
digitalvideo

Hello to All,

I have make a test with one pip in hdmv with sonic and it work.
The problem is that non 1.1 profile player not play it. In the case of profile 1.0 you have put the movie with pip burn in it. You can test psr31 for profile.

For info and bitbudgeting, if you make a multi angle you have to duplicate the audio in all angle (not same as sd). Is it the same with blu-print?

Last edited by digitalvideo; 6th March 2008 at 11:54.
digitalvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 14:11   #5  |  Link
bbjay

I do know that the Nine Inch Nails Beside you In Time Bluray has multiangle.

I was actually thinking about the PIP solution as an alternative to multiangle.

Is multiangle in Bluray somewhat the same with SD in that the GOP structure needs to be exact and closed GOPS?

Evaluation coming in the next day or two so I will begin a long testing process.
Old 6th March 2008, 17:21   #6  |  Link
Eric69

Oh Wow! I didn't know that...thanks. Let us know how the evaluation testing goes.
Eric69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 09:44   #7  |  Link
hamletiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalvideo View Post
Hello to All,

I have make a test with one pip in hdmv with sonic and it work.
The problem is that non 1.1 profile player not play it. In the case of profile 1.0 you have put the movie with pip burn in it. You can test psr31 for profile.

For info and bitbudgeting, if you make a multi angle you have to duplicate the audio in all angle (not same as sd). Is it the same with blu-print?

In SD, multi-angle has non-seamless and seamless. The default mode is seamless which accosiates all video angles with the same audio and subtitle. Whlie for non-seamless angle, you have to put audio and subtitle into each individual angle, kind like what you described here. A neat thing for non-seamless angle is that you can put different audio and subtitles for each angle, but they do switch slower than seamless angle on standalone machines.

For Blu-ray, I think the Ratatouille from Disney also uses multi-angle, I've seen people asking how to disable the angle icon on certain blu-ray standalones.
hamletiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 09:56   #8  |  Link
Pelican9
Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamletiii View Post
For Blu-ray, I think the Ratatouille from Disney also uses multi-angle
Confirmed, it contains.
Pelican9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 01:43   #9  |  Link
ragfoo

affordable bd authoring

if you still need this project, or need any other bd projects authored professionally my former employer authors bluray affordably.

contact left coast digital at info@lcdig.com.

tell them ragfoo referred you and they will give you an even better price.
ragfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 14:43   #10  |  Link
DieHard

Is the multiangle setup simply secondary video streams within the same clip as the primary stream or is it setup as an out-of-mux sync PIP stream that has been set to fullscreen? I've noticed there are no 'multiangle' streams or subpaths within Scenarist HDMV.
DieHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 21:41   #11  |  Link
2themax

Multi-angle in Scenarist is achieved by placing multiple Primary Video Clips within the same PlayItem.

Last edited by 2themax; 30th March 2008 at 21:45.
2themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 23:05   #12  |  Link
DieHard

Hmmm. I tried that and I got:

Error : It is not possible to add Clip to PlayItem, because PlayItem has already had Main Clip.

That was using 2 different clips set as type video with primary video clips. Both have the same encoding (23.976 720p AVC). So what am I doing wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. I tried dragging and dropping the second (angle) clip into the main clip area which is I guess why it wouldn't work. I then tried just dragging it onto the PlayItem within the StreamTree and it added it as Angle#1.

Last edited by DieHard; 30th March 2008 at 23:08.
Old 31st March 2008, 01:58   #13  |  Link
DieHard

Ok. Now I have two clips added to the same playitem, one as primary and one as angle#1, however I have now run into another error. I have tried setting the playitem property "Is Seamless Angle Change" as both True and False with different errors while MUXing. It loads and starts the muxing fine, however when I get to MUXing those items I get:

2008-03-31T00:02:11Z|ERROR|MUX_SN_E_TS_UNKNOW_ERR|E:\HDMV_projects\TestJava1\Output\MUX\Disc\DB\BDMV\STREAM/00008.m2ts|0|Unknown Error|tswrapper.dll::CTSWrapper::ProcThreadMain::Video mui item number does not equal.|

when trying with the "Is Seamless Angle Change" set to true and:

2008-03-31T00:52:37Z|ERROR|MUX_SN_E_TS_CREATE_EXTENT_INFO_ERR|E:\HDMV_projects\TestJava1\Output\MUX\Disc\DB\BDMV\STREAM/00009.m2ts|0|Failed in making extent.ifo|tswrapper.dll::CTSWrapper::ProcThreadMain::Cannot create partial extent. (Maximum angle point length is shorter than partial extent size.)

when set to false.

Both angles have primary audio and video tracks (so it would be preferable to have the seamless set to true so they can each have their own audio) but just getting it to MUX with both tracks period would be a start. What is the extent size and how do I deal with it?
Old 31st March 2008, 13:40   #14  |  Link
bbjay

I am getting this same error in my multi angle tests as well.
Old 31st March 2008, 16:01   #15  |  Link
2themax

Multi-angle is a very hands-on operation. There's 2 more things you'll have to do in order to get things to work successfully.

1. - In the Mux windows, open Other Options and check Keep same angle extent size.

2. - In each Clip that is being used as an angle, you'll have to adjust the TSRecordingRate. This is where the work will be involved. You want keep it as high as possible, 48,000,000 being the highest, without getting an error during the mux. The higher that rate, the better the chance the switch between angles will be seamless.
Old 31st March 2008, 16:35   #16  |  Link
DieHard

Hmmm. Another question: is it possible to have different lengths (time-wise) between the original primary video track and the angle video track or do they have to be the same? I noticed the errors were occuring when I used two video tracks that had all the same encoding (framerate/codec/aspect/etc) but had different time lengths, even when setting 'Keep same angle extent size'.

When I used two clips with the same lengths and set 'Keep same angle extent size' it seemed to MUX (without touching the TSRecordingRate). Can I use two different length clips if I do fool around with the TSRecordingRate? Or is it possible to force them to the same size by say adding a PLMark at the point where the original primary video track extends beyond the angle track?

Edit: Also encountered another oddity. I have 'Is Seamless Angle Change' set to True with a pop-up menu that changes angle tracks (or even just using the angle button on the remote as both do the same thing) yet the video/audio don't change during the playing track. If I press the Prev button on my remote to start the track playing back again, then it changes and plays the angle stream video and audio. Isn't setting 'Is Seamless Angle Change' to True supposed to automatically switch tracks mid-stream while setting it to False would mean you would have to start the track again from the beginning (like what it is doing to me now?)

Update: Discovered another oddity. I thought maybe changing that TSRecordingRate from -1 to 48,000,000 might potentially solve the problem, but it didn't. However, in my testing I did notice something. Playing the video straight it doesn't change. If I press the back Slow/Step button on the remote while watching and then unpause it, it changes streams. This of course is nowhere close to ideal since it means you have to press the backstep button and then play or pause button to switch angles, but it does mean the angles are being recognized properly at least. I wonder, do I need to place PLMark/Chapter Marks anywhere that I want the video to be able to change? Like, if I add a PLMark at xx:xx:xx.xxx will it then switch tracks at that point? Or should it switch without needing those?

Last edited by DieHard; 31st March 2008 at 18:40.
Old 31st March 2008, 22:04   #17  |  Link
DieHard

Update: Tried adding PLMarks both as Entry Marks and Link Points (even though I don't know what the difference is supposed to be) and neither work to change the stream when the angle changes during playback. I noticed while testing in PowerDVD that when I select the other angle via PowerDVD's pop-up menu if I check it again it is still on the same angle, so it must be storing the angle change or something since it does change the angle if I press the Prev or (back frame) Step buttons.

Edit: Just to be sure about something to see if it is correct, these are the button commands I have to change streams:

1 SetStream PG_textST:[DispOFF] Angle:No=1

and

1 SetStream PG_textST:[DispOFF] Angle:No=2

Last edited by DieHard; 31st March 2008 at 23:15.
Old 31st March 2008, 23:50   #18  |  Link
2themax

Try this. Go into Disc Layout and then over to Physical File Layout. Hit Auto Layout and on the left, there should be an Interleave. Make sure the transport streams that are the multiple angles are listed within it. Hit OK and remux the data.

The angle commands look OK. I don't remember doing more than that to change an angle.
Old 1st April 2008, 01:35   #19  |  Link
bbjay

OK. Got it to mux fine. I adjusted the TSRecordrecordingrate to 40,000,000 for each clip. when I preview in Power DVD it shows the three angles but when I goto switch it doesnt switch angles. It will say which angle I am on but doesn't switch. my clip is only 10 seconds long, does it take more time to switch angles?
Old 1st April 2008, 03:14   #20  |  Link
DieHard

It actually added an Interleave that wasn't there before, however it didn't seem to change anything in the final output. I go to switch angles and they don't change unless I press the Prev button to go back to the start of the clip or I press the Step back button and then unpause it, in which case the angles do change but they won't change mid-stream.