Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 5th April 2008, 16:06   #521  |  Link
Eragon4ever
lost program in the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugh View Post
Is there a way to, uh, invoke the --engage via mmg?
Muxing -> Add command line options
But you have been warned...
Old 5th April 2008, 16:11   #522  |  Link
plugh
A hollow voice says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon4ever View Post
Muxing -> Add command line options
But you have been warned...
Acknowledged. And thanks...

(Oh no! the 'Laughing Man'! run away run away)
Old 5th April 2008, 18:25   #523  |  Link
plugh
A hollow voice says

OK New question... I have processed a transport stream capture. I have video (xvid), audio (aac) and subs (srt).

The subs were created by extracting the closed caption data from the stream with 'ccextractor'. This utility will produce text lines in the srt file with leading blanks, in order to simulate the Closed Caption screen positioning.

I mux'd the srt into an mkv with mmg, but the horizontal positioning was not present on playback. I extracted them back out with mkvextractGUI, and sure enough, the leading blanks were gone. I'm guessing mkvmerge stripped them.

Is there a way to preserve the leading spaces?
Old 14th April 2008, 22:42   #524  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
The only way is to use this bugfixed version: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...20080414-1.rar

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 19th April 2008, 08:32   #525  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Quote:
The only way is to use this bugfixed version: mkvtoolnix-unicode-2.2.0-build20080414-1
Nice one.

Pascal
Old 23rd April 2008, 04:22   #526  |  Link
plugh
A hollow voice says

I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks!
Old 4th May 2008, 14:33   #527  |  Link
Tima

I have a AVC + AAC + AAC Matroska file, which has been muxed by mkvmerge 1.0.2. The opening and especially seeking in player were extremely slow, so I decided to remux it with new mkvmerge. I tried versions 2.2.0-release, 2.2.0-latest_alpha and 1.4.0 -- all they fail to remux the file with following error:

Code:
Error: 'E:\The_Story_of_O.mkv' track 1: Could not extract the decoder specific config data (AVCC) from this AVC/h.264 track.
Old 13th May 2008, 22:48   #528  |  Link
NanoBot

Hi there,

I think I found a bug in the h.264 import module of mkvtoolnix, but I am not sure about that. So I will describe the symptoms and perhabs somebody more familiar with h.264 streams and mkvtoolnix might be able to tell if it really is a bug:

Some time ago I recorded some DVB transport streams containing one h.264 video stream and one AC3 audio stream from a german tv station. I want to include additional audio streams, subtitle streams and chapter information ( ripped from SD DVDs of the same titles I own ). So I demultiplexed the ts to es using either "xport.exe" or "tsMuxeRGUI", and remultiplexed them to mkv using the latest version of mkvMerge GUI.

But with one of those recordings ( it is Episode6 in 1080i50 ) I ran into problems concerning the play length of the movie. The original ts plays fine with mpc and shows a playtime of 193813 video frames which equals 02:09:12.480 at 25fps. But after remultiplexing it to mkv, the playtime is shown as 2:09:30, which of course should not happen.

When I am using graphedit with haalis simple media splitter and haalis matroska muxxer, the resulting mkv file has the correct playtime, but when trying to navigate within the new file, mpc freezes. If I am remultiplexing the elementary streams to a transport stream using tsmuxeRGUI, the new ts also has a correct playtime of 2:09:12

In my attempt to find out the reason to this behavior, I analyzed the ts and the h.264 es with the trial version of elecards streamEye and found, that the encoding format is changing from frame based to field based at the beginning of a GOP at a playtime of 0:00:32:480 and goes back to frame based within a GOP at a playtime of 0:00:37:680. There may be more of those changes within the stream, but until now I did not search for more occurrences. Unfortunately I am not able to tell if they use PAFF oder MBAFF encoding since I do not know where to look in the h.264 header for this information.

Now back to mkvmergeGUI: What I suspect is, that mkvmerge accidentally counts the fields as frames and therefore produces a mkv file with a too long playtime.

If it would be helpful I am able to supply a small piece of the transport stream or the elementary stream containing such a "change" situation. But before doing that I would like to ask if this would comply to the rules of the forum, since it would be a ( rather small ) part of copyrighted material.

C.U. NanoBot
Old 27th June 2008, 14:56   #529  |  Link
hubereevez
Star member

mkvmerge crashes

mkvmerge crash when adding an ogm file (see jpg)

Worked with 2.1.0 but without the chapters

Here is my ogm file :

Code:
Général
Complete name                    : H:\test.ogm
Format                           : OGG
File size                        : 702 Mio
Duration                         : 2h 42mn
Overal bit rate                  : 603 Kbps
Movie name                       : Me
Performer                        : Me

Vidéo
Format                           : MPEG-4 Visual
Codec ID                         : DX50
Codec ID/Hint                    : DivX 5
Width                            : 496 pixels
Height                           : 208 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.35
Frame rate                       : 25.000 Im/s

Audio
Format                           : Vorbis
Format settings, Floor           : 1
Duration                         : 2h 42mn
Channel(s)                       : 2 canaux
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Language                         : english

Texte
Language                         : french

Chapitres
01                               : 00:00:00.000 Chapter 1
02                               : 00:07:51.840 Chapter 2
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 27th June 2008, 18:49   #530  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@ MKV developers, sponsors & supporters

I'm pleased to hear that DivX 7 will be supporting the MKV container:

Quote:
DigitAl56K - DARC (DivX Advanced Research Team) : DivX 7 will use the MKV container format ! That's right, you heard it here first: our new format does not use AVI !
It's all good !

Pascal

ps
I know that nothing is a done deal untill the fat lady sings but hopefully MKV will acquire that extra mile to sort the menu system.
Old 28th June 2008, 11:28   #531  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubereevez View Post
mkvmerge crash when adding an ogm file (see jpg)
Try http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...20080515-1.rar

Old 28th June 2008, 13:57   #532  |  Link
hubereevez
Star member

Works now ! Thks Mosu
Old 23rd July 2008, 06:10   #533  |  Link
GasKid

Hi,

I have an mkv file I muxed with mkvmerge earlier, but I forget the audio delay I set. I googled and found this thread. It tells me to "try mkvinfo -v and see when the timecode of the first audio packet".

I did so, and got something like this:
Code:
|  + Block (track number 2, 8 frame(s), timecode 0.038s = 00:00:00.038000000)
But I remember that I set a negative value.

Then I did some tests, and found out that when setting a positive delay in mkvmerge, everything is OK, but when the value is negative, mkvinfo will report a positive timecode.

Haven't checked how's the output files like yet, so I don't know whether it's mkvmerge's problem or mkvinfo's, or just my problem. I'll check them asap.

Can someone please help me? Thanks.

btw, I'm using mkvtoolnix 2.2.0, the audio is in aac format.

====
Sorry for the late update.
I checked the file, the audio is properly adjusted. So it appears to be mkvinfo's problem?
I was using --delay to adjust audio delay.

Last edited by GasKid; 2nd August 2008 at 00:56.
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:59   #534  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@Mosu,

all the MKV muxers remove the AUDs (00 00 01 09 xx) when muxing h264 streams to MKV. That's alright, of course. But that means if we mux a raw h264 stream to MKV and then demux it again, we lose bit perfectness. Which is quite ugly.

So here comes my feature wish: Could you please readd AUDs into the stream when demuxing h264 streams with mkvextract? I think/hope it shouldn't be difficult to do.

Thank you...
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:16   #535  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Do you have a small sample file with such elements? I don't seem to have any, so testing might be a bit difficult.

Old 22nd August 2008, 15:18   #536  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKid View Post
I have an mkv file I muxed with mkvmerge earlier, but I forget the audio delay I set. I googled and found this thread. It tells me to "try mkvinfo -v and see when the timecode of the first audio packet".

I did so, and got something like this:
Code:
|  + Block (track number 2, 8 frame(s), timecode 0.038s = 00:00:00.038000000)
But I remember that I set a negative value.

Then I did some tests, and found out that when setting a positive delay in mkvmerge, everything is OK, but when the value is negative, mkvinfo will report a positive timecode.
When you delay a track then the delay is added to all timecodes. If your delay is negative then some packets may end up with negative timecodes. These packets are dropped and not written to the output file (!). Therefore you should never see packets with negative timecodes in mkvinfo's output.

There's no way to retrieve the delay used during muxing reliably.

Old 22nd August 2008, 15:26   #537  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Do you have a small sample file with such elements? I don't seem to have any, so testing might be a bit difficult.
Don't you have any HD DVD and Blu-Ray h264 samples? I believe most of them (or all?) have AUDs. But I'll upload a few samples...
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:10   #538  |  Link
sehgal.v7

@Mosu
Reference to above question
hxxp://rapidshare.com/files/139273329/Original.h264

Original Raw Stream size - 10,485,888
Muxed with mkvMerge size - 8,478,255
Extracted raw stream with mkvExtract - 8,469,695

Original Stream to TS container (TSMuxer) > TS to MKV (eac3to) - 10,485,888 > 10,775,784 > 8,473,127

Last edited by sehgal.v7; 22nd August 2008 at 16:15.
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:23   #539  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Here are 2 trailers with AUDs, one from a HD DVD, one from a Blu-Ray:

http://madshi.net/h264.evo
http://madshi.net/h264.m2ts

Thanks for looking into this...

P.S: Here's another thing (not as important, though): Some MKVs have the sequence headers stored in both the "codec private" data and in the frame data itself, too. Now as a result when demuxing a h264 stream with mkvextract, the sequence headers are stored twice in the beginning of the h264 stream. It would be great if mkvextract could check if the codec private data is identical to the beginning of the first frame. In that case the codec private data should not be prepended when demuxing the h264 stream.

P.P.S: The Blu-Ray trailer is still uploading. Should be ready for download in about 1 hour.
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:57   #540  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Ok, I will not implement such a feature. There are several reasons. The first is that it isn't one of Matroska's design goals to have bit-identical streams after putting content into Matroska and extracting it from it again. Matroska has always been about being a comprehensive storage container for a multitude of content types, and efficiency has also been at least a secondary goal. If the AUDs are not neccessary for playback from containers other than MPEG-2 (E)VOB or whatever then there's no reason to keep them when you put a stream into a Matroska container.

A third reason is that it is technically impossible (or nearly so) to keep the stream bit-exact. For example, in the raw h.264 streams there are AUDs before the first SPS and PPS NALUs. However, the SPS and PPS NALUs are combined into the AVCC which is in turn stored in Matroska's CodecPrivate element (the same is done for storage of h.264 inside MP4 files). There's simply to space for AUDs in the AVCC.

However, it might be possible to modify mkvextract to create AUDs on its during extraction. There would be a separate option which turned this feature on, just like there's such an option in x264. The question is: how important is such a feature? I don't have much free time, and I'd rather not waste it on a feature that no one except one or two people might find useful.

Closed Thread