Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 1st June 2022, 21:14   #61  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
OK, I lied, of course I've been on verge of falling asleep and woken up with a jolt. [never had that falling thingy though - not that I'm aware of]
I would describe that feeling as: suddenly a body starts to change position.

[Don't have hits on that Black Hole, maybe it's for the superstitious people ]
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2022, 16:37   #62  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

This one is seriously messed up.

EDIT: If I concentrate, I can get it to stop moving, but relax and its off spinnin' again.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 28th June 2022 at 16:49.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2022, 20:04   #63  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Use one eye only ?
Old 3rd July 2022, 20:41   #64  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Use 2 if you like on a bigger screen.

Are you sayin' that you cannot see it ?
(4 me, its hard to not see it)

(Currently on 10.0 inch screen, not so easy to see)

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 5th July 2022, 14:39   #65  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

OOps, wrong thread.

Last edited by StainlessS; 5th July 2022 at 14:56.
Old 7th July 2022, 13:46   #66  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

I was too brief, I meant the wobbling disapeared as I watched it one-eyed only.
And today it wobbles even with one eye only, so seems to depend on my actual fitness.
Two-eyed doubles the wobbling ampltude. Nice one.
Old 22nd July 2022, 23:55   #67  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

This not an optical illusion, but a practical tool. [no point in starting new thread just for this post]

See original idea:- Play this song to stop seagulls from nicking your chips at the beach
https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/22/play-...hips-17052190/

Has sounds of hawks and eagles and such, BUT, also has music beat and also sounds of damn seagulls too !

Here some similar stuff on YouTube[some are tens of hours (eg 48 hours) long]:- https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...of+prey+sounds
But again, some have some additional music or other noise.

Here, a 16 second clip, with non required sounds chopped off [FalconSoundEffectNoCopyright-KeepYourChips.mkv, 2MB]:- https://www.mediafire.com/file/0uev1...Chips.mkv/file
[Source clip, Falcon sound effect no copyright | falcon scream | peregrine falcon call :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA0F0Vqruro ]

For those of you about to go to the seaside for a paddle. [put it on your phone and loop it when you've been to the chippy]
(Demux the aac for audio only, about 400KB)

EDIT: Here same, with audio m4a Only[400KB]:- https://www.mediafire.com/file/75n4q...right.m4a/file

EDIT: Seagulls dont just steal chips in Whitby, here a clip from Jersey Shore:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QffgWL3Y3uw
EDIT: And if they cant get chips, the're always ready to make do:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sDQhNWuJnY

Last edited by StainlessS; 23rd July 2022 at 11:03.
Old 25th July 2022, 09:36   #68  |  Link
ognirats

There are cases when brain hears what it wants to hear. That's the reason misheard lyrics exist. This is like an extreme example
ognirats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2022, 09:37   #69  |  Link
ognirats

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
I hate tiktok
same. by far one of the worst social medias out there.
ognirats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2022, 10:24   #70  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognirats View Post
same. by far one of the worst social medias out there.
You know, the other day I watched a person interview a young girl and he asked her some questions to understand the differences between generations. One of the questions was "which social media are you in?" and she started listing them (TicToc was in there). At that point the interviewer said: "Uh, I'm surprised you didn't mention Facebook" and the young girl said: "No, that's for old people, like my parents".

It was in that moment that I realized that not only I'm slowly approaching my 30s, but that some of my friends are indeed parents already...

For a person like me who often jokes about how young I am compared to the "old farts", I've never felt so old...
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2022, 16:40   #71  |  Link
Katie Boundary

I'm impressed that the name of the image is "pissed ass pudding.jpg"
Old 2nd July 2023, 14:30   #72  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

From Here:- https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/22...dden-illusion/
Below, with bins on (eye-glasses) could not see anything (no animal),
but take them off and can immediately see the creature.

EDIT: Actually, the image is a bit big for me on the D9 (difficult to see), is easier to see it via first link.
EDIT: I can see creature in above image with bins off, if I wiggle/scroll it up and down a bit.

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd July 2023 at 01:18.
Old 2nd July 2023, 16:53   #73  |  Link
kempodragon

Confirmation

I can confirm this. Glasses on, almost impossible to spot. No glasses, image was immediately visible. I'm nearsighted with astigmatism, can anyone farsighted try this?
kempodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2023, 21:29   #74  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

No glasses, a bit shortsighted but I'll be long in my retirement before I'll ever contemplate the use of glasses. (Specsavers won't have me!).
Now, jokes aside, I can see the picture, but I'm a bit confused.
If I watch it from the front, it looks like a gorilla walking, however if I look at it from the side, it looks like a horse.
Old 2nd July 2023, 23:44   #75  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
(Specsavers won't have me!)
Apparently, @ ~44YO (+- about a year or so), 98% of the population starts to require reading glasses [of those that did not already use glasses],
the docs dont really know why that 2% get away with not needing optical assistance for their entire lives.
(lenses stay supple)

Just one of the things that nobody tells you, but that you find out for yourself eventually.

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd July 2023 at 01:26.
Old 3rd July 2023, 08:47   #76  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Apparently, @ ~44YO (+- about a year or so), 98% of the population starts to require reading glasses [of those that did not already use glasses]
Damn, that's a worrying statistic...
Looks like it's more than likely that I'll need them before retirement then...
Old 3rd July 2023, 11:21   #77  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

You might get by without glasses, but they make many things easier. I'm a little under fifty and I got my first glasses for everyday use (I use them if I need to see clearly far, like when driving) this year but struggled already for years

The irritating thing about glasses is that the brains adjust and then it's much harder to manage without them.. it would be interesting to test how long it would take to train them to go back to life without glasses
Old 3rd July 2023, 12:51   #78  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
The irritating thing about glasses is that the brains adjust and then it's much harder to manage without them.. it would be interesting to test how long it would take to train them to go back to life without glasses
About 3 months, then back to square one, just like before you started wearing them [reading newpaper at arms length].
However, its just so damn convenient to reach for them [bins] instead of a having to struggle.
[Basically, your brain just gets used to switching off focusing when you use glasses, takes time to get it to start switching on again]

EDIT: This book, I got some years ago [when my eyes were going dodgy] from the local library.
Was first published in [I think] 1901 [EDIT: apparently 1920 for original version], and was in its 51st [or thereabouts] edition/printing when I got it.
Comes with an eye [similar to Snellen] chart, to assist in eye exercising so as to get by without bins,
it does work to some degree, but just too damn easy to use them [bins] "just this once".
Better Eyesight Without Glasses [W.H. Bates]:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyesight-Wi...-2652219?psc=1

EDIT: IIRC, W.H. Bates came from a family of opticians or optical scientists/hobbyists,
I think his father was one of those that investigated the case of the two little girls who took
photographs of fairies in their garden, and nobody could prove that they were fake
[including Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini] [EDIT: Maybe I imagined this paragraph. {or maybe something about it in the book}].

EDIT:
Quote:
Better Eyesight Without Glasses is not only the deffinitive source for the classic Bates Method, it is in itself a remarkablke phenomenon. In the more than forty years since this revised edition was first published, the book has gone through innumerable printings and is more popular and more pertinent than ever today. Dr. William Bate's revolutionary and entirely commonsensical theory of self-taught improved eyesight has helped hundreds of thousands of people to triumph over normal defects of vision without the mechanical aid of eyeglasses. If you think that your eyesight could be made better by natural methods, you are right.

EDIT: Wikipedia:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Bates_(physician))
Quote:
William Horatio Bates (December 23, 1860 – July 10, 1931) was an American physician who practiced ophthalmology and developed what became known as the Bates method for better eyesight. The method was based in his theory that the eye does not focus by changing the power of the lens, but rather by elongating the eyeball through use of the extraocular oblique muscles; this model contradicted mainstream ophthalmology and optometry then and now.
EDIT: The unrevised/un-edited original version of the book is now in the Public Domain [see wikipedia] {Although on Amazon £75.00 in paperback}.
Quote:
Because the copyrights have expired, the original version of Perfect Sight Without Glasses (or The Cure of Imperfect Sight by Treatment Without Glasses) is now in the public domain. In 1943, an abridged version was published under the title Better Eyesight Without Glasses, which removed some of the most controversial points, such as the claim that "perfectly remembering black"[4] is a suitable substitute for anaesthesia, and recommendations to look at the sun.[1]
EDIT:

Cottingley Fairies:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottingley_Fairies

EDIT:
More sceptical view of Bates Methods:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method

EDIT: I think that the eye [similar-ish to Snellen] chart something like this, with squares and circles.

Dont think the Snellen chart has squares in it, Bates does.

EDIT: Original 1920 "The Cure of Imperfect Sight by Treatment Without Glasses" in pdf {Public domain}.
https://www.visionsofjoy.org/pdfs/Ba...ectSightWG.pdf
From the intro,
Quote:
On a tomb in the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore in Florence was found
an inscription which read: "Here lies Salvino degli Armati, Inventor of
Spectacles. May God pardon him his sins."
Nuova Enciclopedia Italiana, Sixth Edition.
Tis [IIRC] full of stories, eg Woman who had cataracts and had lens removed, could then see moons of Jupiter with naked eye.
EDIT: Nope, cant find that story, but there are several mentions of Jupiter in the book incl this one.
Quote:
The extraordinary memory of
primitive people has been attributed to the fact that owing to the absence of any
convenient means of making written records they had to depend upon their
memories, which were strengthened accordingly; but in view of the known facts
about the relation of memory to eyesight it is more reasonable to suppose that
the retentive memory of primitive man was due to the same cause as his keen
vision, namely, a mind at rest.
The primitive memory as well as primitive keenness of vision, has been found
among civilized people; and if the necessary tests had been made it would
doubtless have been found that they always occur together, as they did in a case
which recently came under my observation. The subject was a child of ten with
such marvelous eyesight that she could see the moons of Jupiter with the naked
eye, a fact which was demonstrated by her drawing a diagram of these satellites
which exactly corresponded to the diagrams made by persons who had used a
telescope.
EDIT: The fairies stuff seems to be complete tosh, maybe I got mixed up with somebody else
when I was researching why my eyes were getting lousy. [memory is an odd/weird attribute]

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd July 2023 at 23:21.