Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old Today, 00:26   #19801  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher007 View Post
ok ive tried today with my laptop to use work hours and it still doesnt work. its obviously an issue with windows 10 and this feature.

it will always shutdown at the correct time but then never wakes.

i would like to get this working as i have a 4kwp solar array and electric is now 0.40 per kwh in the UK or $0.48 in US equivalent. so not small beans.
Come on cypher, I think it's time you gave up on this...

I have a 5.2kW solar array, and my power is approx $0.38 per kwh, but my "rule", if the solar isn't generating enough power so I can encode for "free", I don't do any, and with the weather in my area being really crappy for months & months, I don't get much done , and time's running out.

I would think that if there were other users that use this function, you would have had some replies, but in my way of thinking, as you haven't, no body uses it !!!!

If Atak would explain what it does to encodes in progress, then it's probably not a really economical process, as you would be losing encodes, everytime it shuts down !!!

As rlev11 suggested, maybe you should set up a Windows Task to shut down & wake up the laptop, but then that wouldn't restart the interrupted encode, would it

Long term RipBot264 user.

#1 Ryzen 7950X, MSI MPG X670E Carbon Wi-Fi
#2 Ryzen 5950X
#3 Ryzen 5900X
#4 Ryzen 3950X
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:23   #19802  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Thank Atak for the update and the new features. I appreciate it.

If you have time would be nice to have SMDegrain replace MDegrain. The results are just staggering and I resisted doing it for so long because I thought MDegrain did such a good job it could not really improve that much with SMDegrain. SMDegrain's output is so much improved it's staggering. It's like the difference MDegrain made over HQDN3D and that I would never go back to HQDN3D after seeing the results for MDegrain. Now SMDegrain has made MDegrain obsolete.

Now I'm at the point where the output is so clean with SMDegrain I think something must be wrong as the file sizes are so much smaller and I must have lost detail. Every detailed comparison I've made shows that I was wrong and the output from SMDegrain has not only removed the grain, but since the grain is removed, details actually stand out and everything appears crisper. I've actually started re-encoding older films and watching them again such as The Terminator, The Edge, etc. just because the difference in detail is so dramatic it is like experiencing the film all over again and it is a joy to watch.

SMDegrain also does not produce the detail blur I saw with MDegrain3 in a characters face when they turned their head.

The only tweak I have started doing is blksize=8 when dealing with video that has a lot of dark scenes in it.

Please replace MDegrain with the following SMDegrain strength settings:
Light: SMDegrain(video,tr=2,thSAD=200,thSADC=100,contrasharp=true,prefilter=0,refinemotion=true)
Medium: SMDegrain(video,tr=4,thSAD=400,thSADC=200,contrasharp=true,prefilter=1,refinemotion=true)
Strong: SMDegrain(video,tr=8,thSAD=800,thSADC=400,contrasharp=true,prefilter=2,refinemotion=true)

Thanks again Atak for everything.
What about the speed?
What's the difference in speed between SMDegrain & MDegrain at those 3 settings you suggest?

Last edited by slalom; Today at 11:50.
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35   #19803  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
What about the speed?
What's the difference in speed between SMDegrain & MDegrain at those 3 settings you suggest?
Hi slalom,

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...20#post1979320

#2 Ryzen 5950X
#3 Ryzen 5900X
#4 Ryzen 3950X
Old Today, 13:09   #19804  |  Link
cypher007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
Come on cypher, I think it's time you gave up on this...

I have a 5.2kW solar array, and my power is approx $0.38 per kwh, but my "rule", if the solar isn't generating enough power so I can encode for "free", I don't do any, and with the weather in my area being really crappy for months & months, I don't get much done , and time's running out.

I would think that if there were other users that use this function, you would have had some replies, but in my way of thinking, as you haven't, no body uses it !!!!

If Atak would explain what it does to encodes in progress, then it's probably not a really economical process, as you would be losing encodes, everytime it shuts down !!!

As rlev11 suggested, maybe you should set up a Windows Task to shut down & wake up the laptop, but then that wouldn't restart the interrupted encode, would it
if i wasnt on such crap money i would just let it run, but im now looking at using works pc to do the encodes. the problem i have is a typical 2hr movie takes about 24hrs on my i5 10th gen.
cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:36   #19805  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
if i wasnt on such crap money i would just let it run, but im now looking at using works pc to do the encodes. the problem i have is a typical 2hr movie takes about 24hrs on my i5 10th gen.
Yep, sad situation.

Here's an idea for you to contemplate...

What I do with LONG movies that I know are going to take longer than I want, in one go, I demux the movie, and keep the audio & subtitle track, then I run the video thru MKVToolNix, split it into 20 - 30 minute chunks, then you can load them (video only) into RipBot using the Batch option, then when they're all done, a couple one day, a couple the next, you can then mux them back together with the audio track & subtitles, and there you have it, your encoded movie that hasn't taken 24 hours straight, to process...might sound like a bit of work, but it's an economical option....works for me

#2 Ryzen 5950X
#3 Ryzen 5900X
#4 Ryzen 3950X
Old Today, 15:39   #19806  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
What about the speed?
Well, thing is, SMDegrain and MDegrain are so different from one another the speed should not be comparable. SMDegrain calls a lot more functions and I would think it would be vastly slower, but it's not. SMDegrain is comparable in speed to MDegrain. All depends on functions used.

Generally, and I don't know why, SMDegrain Light and Medium is faster than equivalent MDegrain. While SMDegrain Hard is about 20-30% slower than MDegrain. SMDegrain gives vastly improved visuals over MDegrain. Just as MDegrain gave huge improved visuals over HQDN3D.

Edit: blksize=8 drops the speed down by half, which is okay as it's processing four times as many blocks. I use this to prevent "blotchy" in content that the background is almost dark, or having two similar colors, such as in Untouchables, where Sean Connery is wearing a navy blue uniform at night on the bridge. Though I have to zoom up on the image to notice it.

Last edited by Ryushin; Today at 15:46. Reason: More Information
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:10   #19807  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Can you check if WAKE function even works on your PC?

Try this
1) open Task Scheduler
2) create new task

3) Type WorkHours as name

4) Click triggers tap -> new -> specify time

5) Actions -> start program -> rundll32.exe

6) Conditions -> Wake the computer ...

Now suspend your PC.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360