Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st September 2022, 21:15   #1  |  Link
kurkosdr

Patent expiration for E-AC3 (Dolby Digital Plus)?

E-AC3 (aka Dolby Digital Plus) is used exclusively for some terrestrial television broadcasts in Europe. For example:
https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...live=3&lang=en
https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...live=1&lang=en

This got me thinking:

- Is there a patent list (and anticipated expiration date) for decoding E-AC3?

I've tried Googling around and there is no information on the subject. All I can find is people talking about the expiration of AC3 patents and a ETSI patent declaration from 2004 (which, considering how old it is, I am not sure it covers E-AC3).

In fact, even pinpointing a "release date" for E-AC3 has also been impossible for me. Even Wikipedia doesn't have that information. Best I can find is that E-AC3 was a mandatory format for HD-DVD, and since the first HD-DVD player was released on 31st March 2006 (and has a "Dolby Digital Plus" badge), this gives us a "worst case" date of 31st March 2006 when it comes to prior art.

Does anyone have any information on the topic?

PS: The DigitalBitrate website can tell the difference between AC3 and E-AC3 (example of AC3 identified here), so the examples above are not a case of a misidentified stream. You really need an E-AC3 decoder to watch terrestrial TV in some EU countries...

Last edited by kurkosdr; 3rd October 2022 at 13:38.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolby digital plus, e-ac3, eac3, expiration, patent