Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th September 2016, 17:20   #10  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Would it be possible to document the smooth motion settings a bit more? I understand what the "always" mode means, but I'm confused about what "only if there would be motion judder without it" means (what's the criteria, exactly? would it match 30p@60Hz? 24p@60Hz? 23.976p@60Hz? I have no idea), and I'm also confused about what "... or if the display refresh rate is an exact multiple of the movie frame rate" means (what's the meaning of the "... or"? And how is that different from "always"?). Can someone please explain?
Sure, but I sadly don't have any data on what the criteria is, exactly.

"only if there would be motion judder without it" will activate for 23.976, 24, or 25 fps on a 60Hz display but not for 29.976 on a 60 Hz display or 23.976 fps on a 143.99 Hz display. So it only activates when there would be large motion judders, something like double digit percentages for frame time variance.

"... or if the display refresh rate is an exact multiple of the movie frame rate", the "..." means it is an extension of the previous phrase. It would make just as much sense, or even more, if the "... or" was removed along with the "..." from the end of "only if there would be motion judder without it...". In practice this appears to be synonymous with "always" but if we ever got a perfect video clock this may change.

Did this tell you anything? I think that is all I know.