Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th February 2006, 03:58   #1  |  Link
jmac698

New Technique: Component4All!!

Yet another ground-breaking cap technique: now anyone can capture pure component video with no special equipment! Forget expensive pro-level cards, you don't need 'em!

Updated 03-2006:
This technique increases your potential resolution by about 2x beyond what you could do with lossless HuffyUV. So the real resolution is 1440x480, yes that's high-def! To keep this amazing resolution you will have to save in hi-def, otherwise, you will lose - for example saving as Huffyuv will use YUY2 color format - this means 2 pixels of color are stored as one.

Caveats:
- your source must be 4:4:4 ** UPDATE: this technique always improves quality, because svideo has inherently low color resolution, even if your source was only YUY2 orignally. You can get all the 4:4:4 quality as well if the source uses real chroma or 4:4:4 chroma upsampling.
- you will have to cap 3 times in a row, in a repeatable way
- it's slow
- the cheap and fast version, has slightly wrong colors
- you have to really want some hi-def glory...

Ok, now here's how: you need a "Y" splitter cable, two females to one male, type cinch/RCA/phono. You need an svideo to composite connector, or just a composite connector on your cap-card.

DISCLAIMER: This technique requires you to make non-standard connections. The risk is your own.

Connect Y directly to your composite in. Cap. Connect Y and Pb together, send to your composite in. Cap. Connect Y and Pr together. Cap.

Make 3 files: y.avs, ypb.avs, ypr.avs. Put your mpeg2source and trim commands in here, so that all files start playing from the same frame.

Final step: run this script.
Code:
y=avisource("C:\MyVideos\y.avs")
ypb=avisource("C:\MyVideos\ypb.avs")
ypr=avisource("C:\MyVideos\ypr.avs")
vyu=mergergb(ypr,y,ypb)
return(vyu)
That's it! Your done. The final file is in full resolution RGB. Resize and convert to YUY2 as needed.

Results:
-The grey range, and flesh colors are excellent. Some rare colors are shifted, but you cannot notice this. In theory it's "wrong", but it works.
-The color fringes around strong colors are gone! (something I find very annoying about s-video).
-If you dropped any frames in any caps, you will start to see some ugly color ghosting.
- UPDATE: I now have a script which exactly recreates the RGB picture, colorbar test patterns are accurate. However this requires some careful, one-time calibration. I'm working on the calibration proceedure.
- UPDATE: I have test results which prove >=1.6 color resolution as measured from a DVD Video Essentials test DVD pattern - chroma frequency sweep.

I have many more ideas brewing - stay tuned. (>2 times further resolution is possible...)

Last edited by jmac698; 7th March 2006 at 22:19. Reason: disclaimer
jmac698 is offline   Reply With Quote