Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 6th April 2006, 22:07   #81  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@JeanL: I'd be happy to see accents properly recognized on top of all letters, which is not the case now.
As for neural networks, well, I'm thinking of using my own similarity engine to determine which font is the closest, then train the network on it or use previous training data. There must be something good in them if professional products such as Recognita use them .
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2006, 14:30   #82  |  Link
johner23

Quote:
There must be something good in them if professional products such as Recognita use them
That was the reason that I point Abbyy program before: I don't know if it's the better choice for OCR or recognizing characters. But, according some people, it's a good software for that purpose.

And there are some other professional applications like Recognita/OmniPage that must have a great OCR engine.

The main problem is that they're closed source.

So, how to study their OCR system /engine to see their strong points and maybe adapt them for the main purposes from SubRip and DVDSubEdit in reading dvd subtitles streams?

But, no doubt that both Subrip and DVDSubEdit improve a lot in a short period of time.

Thanks for your programs, guys.

devil (johner)
johner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2006, 14:52   #83  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

There are open source OCR programs, besides gOCR, which is just "recognizing" strokes (no neural networks). I'll look into it.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2006, 16:47   #84  |  Link
jeanl

I only found one other one, and it didn't look as promising. GOCR approach is quite outdated, nobody would do it that way these days... But you have to admit it does not work that bad for something completely coded *by hand* (absolutely no learning from any data!).
jeanl
Old 13th April 2006, 19:05   #85  |  Link
jeanl

Version 1.32 of DVDSubEdit is now available here...

This is mainly a bug-fix update, but a few annoying things have been fixed.
  • Added slider to the retiming dialogs, and the preview shows the I-frame closest to target location for the current subpicture. The slider range can be changed in the preferences.
  • You can now change the transparency of multipe pixels, and applly-to-all in just one shot (just like with color changes).
  • Fixed the annoying interactions between "Ignore CLUT" and "Auto CLUT" check boxes.
  • Cleaned up the way the "ShowVideo" check box behaves when loading VOBs and sups.
  • The true bottom line detection is more reliable than before (hopefully!). Still not perfect.
  • Added menu to open CoNS's hearing-impaired guide.
  • If you cancel after changing the CLUT color, the original CLUT is now restored.
  • Fixed a bug that was introduced in the previous version in the routine that detects brackets, which could cause good subtitles to be erased!
  • Added a check to detect NTSC subpics in PAL video (that scenario previously crashed the app).
  • Added a few error checks when loading subs, to avoid crashing when encountering malformed SPUs.

Also, don't forget to checkout CoNS's cool guide for changing subtitle colors!

As usual, thanks to CoNS for many additional tests, and many many suggestions for improvements.
Feedback is most welcome!
Enjoy...
Jeanl
Old 14th May 2006, 11:15   #86  |  Link
deryckb

Thanks for the work you have put in on DVDSubEdit. It is an excellent utility that i have been using to correct errors in the subtitles extracted from a DVB recording.

An additional feature I would like to see is to be able to apply all changes to a selected color/transparency, this would also allow the removal of effects subtites. For a bad recording I currently have to set all the text to single setting, which isn't ideal.

A minor inconvenience I find is the default of Exactly for changing the timings of subtitles on the apply last modifications to all. I would prefer it to be at most. Again this is because I sometimes get and invalid time. I suppose ideally a search for overlaping subtitles might be good idea?
deryckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 12:18   #87  |  Link
jeanl

I'm not sure what you mean by "apply all changes to a selected color/transparency". YOu can already do that, is that not working for you?
Also, you'd like the default to be changed in the subtitle timing? Is it too hard to use the drop down to select whatever option you like better????
jeanl
Old 21st May 2006, 13:08   #88  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

Question related to displayed video frame

Hi jeanl,

I am presently working with Paddington on the next version of SubtitleCreator. This version will allow to preview the subtitle on top the the DVD video.

We still have some timing adjustments to make.

To better understand our timings, I wanted to use DVDSubEdit to look at the video frame being displayed with the start of each subtitle. For this purpose, I created my own DVD with each frame holding the bitmap of the actual video time code. I also added to the DVD some custom subtitles holding the time code.

However when I look at my subtitles with DVDSubEdit, it seems that the video frame being displayed is not the one that should be displayed but some frame next to it.

You can see a screen copy here:

00:01:19-17 is the time code of the video.
00:01:20-00 is the subtitle displayed by DVDSubEdit.

(Current subpic info gives the time code of the subtitle: 00:01:20,000)

I suppose this is because there is no real mpeg2 decoder in DVDSubEdit and you can only display I-frames?

Thanks for your software!
manusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 13:59   #89  |  Link
jeanl

You're absolutely right. DVDSubEdit only displays I-Frames (because DVD2AVI can only pause on I-Frames). The frame displayed is the I-Frame just before the subpic, and that's somewhat inaccurate
I'm afraid fixing that in DVD2AVI would be hard forme...
Jeanl
Old 25th May 2006, 03:32   #90  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

@ jeanl:

i just stumbled upon this proggy (slipped under my radar initially i think). very cool.

on your last comment: perhaps try DGindex? i think that can decode all frames, but i'm not sure. should be pretty easy to swap it for DVD2AVI. definitely easier than modding DVD2AVI yourself.
Old 25th May 2006, 16:50   #91  |  Link
jeanl

hi Mug Funky,
in fact, it would have been a good idea to start with DGIndex right off the bat, but unfortunately, I learned about it too late and I had already started making changes to DVD2AVI (which i really need now). DVD2AVI does decode all frames, the only thing it does not do at this point is stop on any arbitrary one. I'm not sure DGIndex can stop on any non-I-frame arbitrary frame, but I don't think so...
jeanl
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:40   #92  |  Link
jeanl

Version 1.33 of DVDSubEdit is now available here...

This is a small update with a few bug fixes and a couple improvements.
  • Added display of timing in the subpic info.
  • Added ability to change the transparency or color in all DCSQT at the same time.
  • Fixed a crash that could happen when removing hearing impaired text.
  • Fixed a crash that could happen upon startup on Win ME and Win 98.
  • Added a quick fix for the startup crash problem. Put a line in your ini file with NoSize=1 to avoid resizing the window on startup (which causes a crash).
  • Fixed a problem in the timing info saved in .srt files, thanks mpucoder for the clarification.
  • Cleaned up the GUI.

Enjoy...
Jeanl
Old 5th June 2006, 19:46   #93  |  Link
Erynnis

Your tool is quite impressive. It is about the tool I am looking for.

I look for a tool with which I could add a subtitle stream to a DVD (or recompile a DVD with a new subtitle stream). There are a couple of films where I'd like to add some subtitle streams (or translate or correct some). For this I need a very userfriendly program, where I could browse through the DVD, play the movie with any audio stream, allowing easy and precise rewinding and forwarding, and very fine, easy and quick time adjustment of the subpictures I create.

Is DVDSubEdit going to be like this?
Erynnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 20:04   #94  |  Link
jeanl

No, not really. For this you need something like subtitle creator, or something like that. DVDSubEdit can't add a subtitle stream and it can't play the movie with the sound and the subs....
Sorry...
Jeanl
Old 5th June 2006, 21:54   #95  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

Hi,

As jeanl replied, SubtitleCreator 2.0.0 (will be available in a few weeks) will be exactly what you need. You will be able to play the audio you want and the sub you want. At the same time, you will be able to preview your subtitles.

It will also include a DVD authoring wizard which allows to automatically add one or more subpicture streams using pgcdemux, muxman and vobblanker.

You can try version 1.9.2 but you can't preview the subs on top of the video and you have to add your subpicture streams to your DVD by hand.

Manusse
manusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 02:09   #96  |  Link
paully

Hi Jeanl

What a fantastic program.

Can I make a suggestion?

Options to invert the selection of modified and forced subpics would be nice.

Maybe a dropdown with;
‘ ’ ‘show only’ ‘hide all’ modified subpics
‘ ’ ‘show only’ ‘hide all’ forced subpics

I’d like to make all subpics which are not forced invisible.
Can you suggest how I might do this? (without doing it one at a time)
paully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 05:33   #97  |  Link
jeanl

Select all subpics. Make them all transparent. Select the forced subpics, make them opaque... Easy no?
Jeanl
Old 15th September 2006, 03:50   #98  |  Link
Teebeeke

Damn, this piece of software has made the work much faster, and easier.

Q: Will it be possible in the near/far future to change the contents of the subs ?
Teebeeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 04:47   #99  |  Link
jeanl

That's much harder. For one thing, you need to re-encode the bitmap, and it has to fit in the number of packs that were used in the original bitmap, so there could be many cases where that would fail...
You can already alter the content, but only to remove letters and move things around... Pretty limited...
jeanl
Old 17th September 2006, 19:32   #100  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

To make the subs less obtrusive, I've used DVDSubEdit to reduce the transparency e.g. move '15' down to '6' and the subs are still readily view-able without being blinding. I also move them down a bit to get them more out of the line-of-vision. What a great tool jeanl!

In a similar vein, I wonder if it might be possible to reduce the *size* of the subpics somehow, and then they can be further moved around on the screen?
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote