Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 16th May 2019, 15:22   #381  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
By which I'm guessing that an auto-written BPS is for a track in MKV, and not for the actual audio data, but I'd like to confirm this. TYIA.
mkvmerge uses a generic algorithm for calculating a track's BPS: it takes the maximum sum of a packet's timestamp and its duration, subtracts from that the minimum timestamp of all packets, and uses that as the track's duration. Then it divides the number of bytes written as frame payload for that track and divides it by that duration.

That algorithm works in mkvmerge's core; it's codec-agnostic and only works on packet timestamps/durations and not on actual number of samples (because it doesn't have access to that type of information).

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 15:33   #382  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
It seems the SegmentInfo.dtd is not correct, but mkvmerge handles the structure correctly.
It's quite possible that the DTDs aren't correct (anymore). DTDs are an outdated and unflexible technology. XML Schemas would have been better, but I never bothered to implement them. As no one asks for them either, it seems people don't need them after all.

Quote:
Some question about the Info elements:
Mkvmerge can use all Info elements which are available in the info.XML.
mkvmerge only supports the four elements listed here (m_debug_to_tag_name_map). It explicitly forbids the elements listed here (m_invalid_elements_map).

Quote:
Mkvpropedit can edit all this elements too? And additionally I can edit some more elements like the Info Title.?
You can ask mkvpropedit which elements it supports by running "mkvpropedit -l":

Code:
Elements in the category 'Segment information' ('--edit info'):
title               | US | Title: The title for the whole movie.
date                | DT | Date: The date the file was created.
segment-filename    | US | Segment filename: The file name for this segment.
prev-filename       | US | Previous filename: An escaped filename corresponding to the previous segment.
next-filename       | US | Next filename: An escaped filename corresponding to the next segment.
segment-uid         | X  | Segment unique ID: A randomly generated unique ID to identify the current segment between many others (128 bits).
prev-uid            | X  | Previous segment's unique ID: A unique ID to identify the previous chained segment (128 bits).
next-uid            | X  | Next segment's unique ID: A unique ID to identify the next chained segment (128 bits).
muxing-application  | US | Multiplexing application: The name of the application or library used for multiplexing the file.
writing-application | US | Writing application: The name of the application or library used for writing the file.
Quote:
And then there are some elements which can't be edited, this values are written while mkvmerge mux the mkv file.
- Duration
- DateUTC
- MuxingApp
- WritingApp
Except for the duration those elements can be set with mkvpropedit, but not with mkvmerge.

Quote:
The TimestampScale element can be set before I mux an mkv. Is this only possible with a command line switch?
That's the only way. You cannot change with mkvpropedit.

Old 16th May 2019, 17:17   #383  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
At the moment I don't have concrete plans for working on Dolby Vision. I acknowledge that HDR technologies are important, and I will most likely spend time on those topics in the future, just not soon.
No worries and thanks for all your work!
Old 16th May 2019, 19:56   #384  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Many thanks Mosu for the info.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2019, 13:18   #385  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v34.0.0 released

Hey,

here's the May release of MKVToolNix, v34.0.0. It's a tiny update with just three bugs fixed (and several translations updated).

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 34.0.0 "Sight and Seen" 2019-05-18
Bug fixes
  • mkvmerge: all subtitle frames are now treated as key frames in order to fix wrong data in source files. Fixes #2541.
  • mkvmerge: AV1: fixed frame timestamp calculation when reading bitstreams that lack timing information from IVF files. Fixes #2553.
  • mkvmerge: Matroska reader: fixed an infinite loop that could happen with large video frames and applied timestamp files due to too much data being buffered at the wrong time. Fixes #2550.

Have fun

Old 6th June 2019, 14:56   #386  |  Link
Perenista

I think I found a bug in the last MKVToolnix. I specifically told it to split into 15100 MB parts a 70 GB file (14.7 GB parts to be uploaded to Google Drive), with Dolby Atmos and other tracks. And it did. The problem is that part 5 is missing the Atmos track, while all others (DD 5.1 for example) are there. I tried appending parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 and was able to, but when I reached part 5 I noticed this error.

I don't remember telling MKVToolnix to remove the Atmos track from part 5. And I couldn't have done anything wrong since I splitted into 5 parts. Another thing I did was adding audio tracks/subtitles that weren't there, but I did this to the huge 70 GB file, before the splitting.

Note: part 5 has 9.43 GB.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait, I think I see what's wrong!

The Atmos track is indeed inside the part 5. However it's not showing when I open with MKVToolnix:

MEDIAINFO from part 5.mkv:
https://pastebin.com/0N9vW8r4

What happens when part 5 is opened:

Part 1-4 file, 59 GB:

Indeed it's a bug. That's why MKVToolnix says "formats don't match" and refuse to append the 59 GB file with the 9 GB one.

Somehow the Atmos information was messed in this splitting. But it's MKVToolnix's fault, not mine.

MEDIAINFO from the 59 GB file (parts 1-4 that I appended):

https://pastebin.com/eCnJU3h6

P.S. I did the same procedure in another movie and I appended the 5 parts minutes ago. In this #2 example the movie also has the Atmos track, and the scenario is very similar. Everything went OK, and I was able to append all parts into a big 70 GB file. Very odd.

What went wrong with this other movie?

Update: spoke too soon. I am getting the same error with a third movie.

Here's the log:

--- Errors emitted by job 'Multiplexing to file "SINGLE FILE, PARTS 1+2+3.mkv" in directory "C:\Users\XXXXX\Desktop\XXXXXXXXX"' started on 2019-06-06 11:35:46 ---
The track number 2 from the file 'C:\Users\XXXXXXXXX\Desktop\XXXXXXX/MOVIE- UHD-4K-2160p-Blu-ray-Lossless - 5-5.mkv' cannot be appended to the track number 1 from the file 'C:\Users\XXXXXXXXXX\Desktop\XXXXXXXXXXXXX\MOVIE - UHD-4K-2160p-Blu-ray-Lossless - 4-5.mkv'. The formats do not match.

What is wrong with movie #3?

- Splitted into 5 parts.

- Parts 1, 2 and 3 can be easily appended. Let's call this file: SINGLE FILE, PARTS 1+2+3.mkv

- When I try to append SINGLE FILE, PARTS 1+2+3.mkv into PART 4.MKV this is what I am getting now:

THE FORMATS DO NOT MATCH

But how? Part 4 was generated from the huge 70 GB one!

And Part 5 of this third movie is also failing to display the Atmos track in MKVToolnix. For this reason it's saying: "cannot be appended to the track number 1"

Because the file SINGLE FILE, PARTS 1+2+3.mkv expects that PART 5.mkv has the Atmos track as TRACK NUMBER 1.

Since it's only seeing the DD 5.1 instead it will not append.

However the Atmos track is still there.

Another MediaINFO, part 5 from this third movie:

https://pastebin.com/MbiVj8Hk

Like the 2nd movie this one also had new tracks added to it. A dubbed one, and 2 new subtitles.

My theory is that by adding a foreign track I messed with the splitting. Perhaps I should have saved everything first, and only after I should have splitted?

Last edited by Perenista; 6th June 2019 at 15:43.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 15:57   #387  |  Link
mariush

Not saying it's not a bug but...

Any particular reason you're not just using 7zip or some other compression software to create a multi volume archive with NO compression (or super fast compression) and volume sizes the amount you want?
You can set each volume to something like 990 MB or 2950 MB or 4950 MB, allowing you to upload 15/5/3 segments totalling 14750-14850 MB

In addition to that, you also have the benefit of encrypting the contents of the archives even if they're packed with no compression..
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 16:11   #388  |  Link
Perenista

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariush View Post
Not saying it's not a bug but...

Any particular reason you're not just using 7zip or some other compression software to create a multi volume archive with NO compression (or super fast compression) and volume sizes the amount you want?
You can set each volume to something like 990 MB or 2950 MB or 4950 MB, allowing you to upload 15/5/3 segments totalling 14750-14850 MB

In addition to that, you also have the benefit of encrypting the contents of the archives even if they're packed with no compression..
I am uploading 15 GB parts to free Google Drive accounts (this is the limit). It's 4K content. They can be streamed or downloaded later and appended, to make a single file with whatever original size it was.

So it would make no sense to use WinRAR here, since I want the MKV to be streamed.

What I did was to convert the original disc into Matroska, then I added new tracks (one dubbing and 2 or 3 new subtitles). However I didn't save the 70 GB file again after adding those tracks. I simply added them for the upcoming task. But before hitting "Start multiplexing" I configured MKVToolnix to save into 15100 MB parts.

That's why the 70 GB file was saved into 5 others.

The issue I discovered here is that part 4 is saying "format don't match" and part 5 is missing the Atmos track while opening it in MKVToolnix.

Turns out that I will be able to append parts 1, 2 and 3, but part 4 (and 5) are impossible to be appended into this third movie.

For the 2nd movie the error is in part 5. Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 were appended successfully.

The bug consists of:

- While part 5 has the Atmos track inside the file, MKVToolnix is ignoring it exists, after opening.

- Part 4 from this 3rd movie is somehow messed and for an unknown reason can't be appended to parts 1-2-3.

Also: I installed a new SSD recently (2 days ago), and after that I formated and installed Windows 10-64 bit. Also checked the drive's health. So this isn't in any way some sort of system corruption.

Update:

Part 4 was appended now to the 1-3 file from the 3rd movie.

So the only bug that remains is the hidden Dolby Atmos track from part 5. The bug affected two movies by now, yet strangely leave one out of it.

Last edited by Perenista; 6th June 2019 at 17:31.
Old 6th June 2019, 17:48   #389  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

I ask me often when users learn that cutting with MKVToolNix is a bad idea. It works in most cases of course, BUT Matroska has some limitations for cutting and so you run from time to time in a split issue for some files. And this is not a bug of mkvmerge.

Last edited by hubblec4; 6th June 2019 at 17:51.
Old 6th June 2019, 17:55   #390  |  Link
Perenista

Here's a more thorough explanation of what I did. Disregard all my previous posts and read this one to avoid any confusion.

- The movie has the Dolby Atmos track, and MAKEMKV says DD 5.1 for the secondary track of it. MAKEMKV also lists a 3rd track (separated from the Atmos) which is also Dolby Digital 5.1. I always assumed both are 100% identical, yet I always leave two tracks named as DD 5.1. Since I want a MKV lossless version from the disc I proceed this way.

Then there's a 2.0 track which is the audio commentary.

The movie also has 1 subtitle, english closed captions. Plus chapters.

It's Ultra-HD Blu-ray (4K).

What I did, in the 1st place:

1) Saved the UHD into a single MKV. Final size is more or less 70 GB. With all tracks mentioned before.

2) Opened this MKV with MKVToolnix.

3) I also had additional tracks for this movie, saved elsewhere:

a) Portuguese dubbing.
b) English subtitles (not CC)
c) Portuguese subtitles

4) Added a, b and C) to 2), the 70 GB file.

5) MKVToolnix is still open. I added a, b and c, yet I haven't saved the 70 GB file again, which would end up having +- 71 GB.

6) I instruct MKVToolnix to split into 15100 MB parts, with a, b and c. It ends saving into 5 splitted parts.

So this is it.

Now why am I calling a bug?

Because when we open part 5 in MKVToolnix the Atmos track is missing. But it's there inside the file! Only MKVToolnix is not seeing.

I am able to append parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 together again. Not part 5.

This is what happens when we try to... append part 5 into parts 1+2+3+4:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The track number 4 from the file PART 5.MKV cannot be appended to the track number 3 from the file PARTS 1+2+3+4.MKV. The number of channels of the two audio tracks is different: 2 and 6

In the above test I didn't select the Atmos track. So in theory it should work, right? Since parts 1+2+3+4 have the same tracks as part 5.

If I select the Atmos track in the file PARTS 1+2+3+4.mkv this is the end result:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The track number 2 from the file PART 5.MKV cannot be appended to the track number 1 from the file PARTS 1+2+3+4.mkv. The formats do not match.

Now what might happen if I not only remove the Atmos track from PARTS 1+2+3+4.mkv, also the two DD 5.1 tracks? And do the same with PART 5.mkv?

Answer: it will now be possible to append part 5!

Another test:

Try to select only one DD 5.1 track.

Result?

Fail. The same "The number of channels of the two audio tracks is different: 2 and 6" error.

Final test:

Result: Success! I am now able to append part 5.

So this means the fact two different tracks have the same name.... MKVToolnix is causing all these problems? And also hiding the Atmos track in part 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
I ask me often when users learn that cutting with MKVToolNix is a bad idea. It works in most cases of course, BUT Matroska has some limitations for cutting and so you run from time to time in a split issue for some files. And this is not a bug of mkvmerge.
I consider a bug when I have been doing this splitting and appending for years and this is the first time EVER I encounter such problem. And I discovered all of sudden! No idea why this is happening yet.

I did everything correct, yet this bug appeared in TWO MOVIES. It's not an isolated case.

What is odd is that it didn't happen for a 3rd movie I was doing the same stuff, however in this case the tracks have different names. I believe the fact two different tracks had the same name (DD 5.1) completely messed MKVToolnix.

I only split files due to Google Drive's limited 15 GB space for free accounts. If was up to me I would never do that.

P.S. MAKEMKV before I converted the 4K to MKV:

Last edited by Perenista; 6th June 2019 at 19:37.
Old 9th June 2019, 19:31   #391  |  Link
Perenista

I fixed all the issues mentioned by creating a single 70 GB file with all the changes, and only after finishing all my editions I splitted the file into 151000 MB parts. Then I tried appending again, and it worked for ALL MOVIES.

What happened here was that I tried to do two things AT THE SAME TIME: a) add new contents to a file, and b) split the original file + a) which had not even been added. That's why mkvToolnix was incapable of appending it again, somehow things got messed after this task.

Mental note: do all the changes to the MKV and only after them split the whole thing. I tried to save some time, not knowing this would break the final results if in the future I wanted to append it into a single big file. I hope I didn't mess any of the previous MKVs, created in the past.
Old 9th June 2019, 19:35   #392  |  Link
sneaker_ger

The question is whether you accidentilly made a user mistake. Or if you had found a bug. It would be nice if such a bug could be documented and fixed even if you now have a workaround.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 04:07   #393  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Considering the history of MakeMKV's Matroska output sometimes being funky, it wouldn't surprise me if it had to do with mkvmerge having to fix the original mux in the first place. Eliminate that X factor entirely; use MakeMKV's Backup mode and then give mkvmerge the index.bdmv and do all the stream manipulation from there. That would confirm whether this really was a bug in mkvmerge or not.
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2019, 11:56   #394  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v35.0.0 released

Time for release v35.0.0 of MKVToolNix. Again, it only includes a small number of enhancements and bug fixes; nothing major.

There've been no changes regarding packaging since the previous release.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 35.0.0 "All The Love In The World" 2019-06-22
New features and enhancements
  • mkvmerge: JSON identification: the "codec name" track property will be output as "codec_name". The JSON schema has been bumped to v12 for this change.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: job queue: added a new type of action to execute after job completion: deleting source files for of multiplexer jobs. As this is a destructive operation, the action is disabled by default. Implements #869 and #2570.
Bug fixes
  • mkvmerge: the "codec name" track property wasn't copied from Matroska files. Fixes #2566.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: Windows: clearing the destination file name will reset the tab name to "<No destination file>" again. Fixes #2571.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the file types were not re-translated if the UI language was changed. Fixes #2572.

Have fun

Old 23rd June 2019, 00:33   #395  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi Mosu
The old "codec name" track property (now codec_name) was "codec" only?
Old 23rd June 2019, 08:32   #396  |  Link
sneaker_ger

CodecName is the most useless element anyways. I don't see the purpose as CodecIDs are already human-readable and unambiguous.
Old 23rd June 2019, 16:22   #397  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

Tag with ChapterUIDs are lost

Hello, it's been quite a while, I just need a little help. After muxing/remuxing with v35.0, tag portions which contain ChapterUIDs are lost. There are no Warnings or Errors, all smooth, both left and right message boxes are blank after muxing/remuxing.

These two ways end up with the same results:
  1. Remuxing an existing MKV with such an exisiting tag.
  2. Muxing an MKV plus an external XML tag.
Here are my sample tags. The tags are intended for 3 WWE videos downloaded from Youtube, but concatenated with FFmpeg to create a single MKV. Thus the related metadata, covers, and chapters for each video (eg. URL's, titles, etc) in the single MKV.Is there any new option or setting to use to achieve the old/previous behavior? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Wakaku; 23rd June 2019 at 16:25.
Wakaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2019, 12:06   #398  |  Link
Klaus1189

I am using 35.0.0 and want to correct a wrong tagged/encoded file, the 21,9 GB one from https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/13057
To get it played properly with MPC-BE and LAV Filters (MPC-BE with internal Filters is fine with this file) I need to set Default duration/FPS" to 60000/1001p and also "Fix bitstream timing info", otherwise MediaInfo will report original Framerate as 25 as it was and also LAV Filters with see and still use this.

But if I have set it to 60000/1001p the original FPS will be reported as 60.000p in MediaInfo. Is that a bug in MediaInfo or an issue in MKVToolNix?
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2019, 15:47   #399  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Probably a MediaInfo limitation. It has trouble detecting the exact fps with especially with short probe sizes because Matroska timestamps don't map 60/1.001 fps 100% exactly (jitter).
Old 17th July 2019, 18:04   #400  |  Link
nogames

MKVToolNix GUI v35.0.0/64bit keeps crashing when adding a file to GUI. It does not matter if it is via drag-drop or Add file option.

I just upgraded my system to Ryzen 7 3700X. It's a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (version 1903). I came from a Ryzen 7 1800X (but not version 1903 but the previous version) which did not have this problem.

The 32bit version of MKVToolNix GUI v35.0.0 works! I have tried all 64 bit versions from v30.0.0 and on and they all crash when I add a file.

Note: No difference in behaviour between Installed and Portable versions

Last edited by nogames; 17th July 2019 at 18:14. Reason: Added info
nogames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska