Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 24th March 2023, 11:23   #21  |  Link
mtsonline

Hi :-)
chat gpt didn't create any useful output - all commands had errors. But it was helpful to understand some impacts.
I added the 5.0 to be sure it does keep the five channels - you can change the output channe llayout to stereo if you like, it does not matter at all.
Or just leave it out, I had it only for testing included in the command and didn't remove it afterwards.

Also the input channels are corectly determined automatically - so the resample command alone will work.

important is just the phaseshift of the surround channels, if they are not already shifted (e.g. decode from ac3 or any movie source) or a five mic surround recording.
So if you create five indipendent channels in your production and you do not shift the rear channels you will get a slightly distroyed output.
In fact you will hear, that the front channels volume will lower down as soon as the rear channels get active. This is due to the two (respectively four) channels interfearing with eachother, as the decoder has problems to recognize the different channels without the shift.
cheers

Last edited by mtsonline; 24th March 2023 at 11:27.
mtsonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2023, 12:25   #22  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
It is not my opinion, see my posts.
But maybe it depend with how was generated the channels:

1) If channels was from a previously encoded 5.1 file (like in pool, AC3, DTS,...) the surround channels there are already phaseshifted and not need another phaseshift.

2) If surround channels was generated from front channels maybe need a phaseshift to avoid interferences.

To listen the output the AVR must have activated the DPLII decoder....
Thanks for supplying the (2-ch) Dolby Prologic 'channel check' samples in Dolby Digital. These are most useful additions to my sample collection

I do however have a cheeky request, do you have any (2-ch) Dolby Prologic 'channel check' samples in LPCM.wav?

Cheers
Old 26th March 2023, 13:48   #23  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I do however have a cheeky request, do you have any (2-ch) Dolby Prologic 'channel check' samples in LPCM.wav?
Easy solution: decode the AC3

ffmpeg -i "dplii.ac3" -acodec pcm_s24le "sound_pan.wav"

To decode it to 5.1 you need a dplII decoder

Last edited by tebasuna51; 26th March 2023 at 13:56.
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2023, 12:21   #24  |  Link
mtsonline

Hi :-)

finally here is the result and a surround dplii encoded song where ffmpeg and the outcome of the discussions where used:

Stream and download Virtuality on ...

Amazon Music:

https://music.amazon.de/albums/B0CBK...sin=B0CBKCRL5D

Apple Music:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/vir...gle/1696588622

Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/intl-de/tra...b7ee9d644e4384

cheers

Martin
mtsonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2023, 19:04   #25  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsonline View Post
finally here is the result and a surround dplii encoded song where ffmpeg and the outcome of the discussions where used
Well, my 5.1 played it correctly with Pipewire/Wireplumber reconstructing the 5.1 from the downmix upon playback.
I couldn't really hear many effects outside of the normal stereo mode until I arrived at around 1 minute and I heard the "tap" coming from the side, so it worked.

(I know this must have a name, but I'm music illiterate, so I have no idea what instrument produced that sound xD)
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolby prologic ii, dplii, ffmpeg, phaseshift