Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th April 2020, 21:35   #21  |  Link
Yog_Sothoth

Em... No, nothing changed, I still can't make the subtitles advanced settings work.
Old 9th September 2021, 10:43   #22  |  Link
Pulstar

I'm sorry I had to necro this thread to ask a specific question since MPC Video Renderer lacks its own topic/forum, but what is meant by dim lighting and can it adjusted, for HDR content or otherwise?
Attached Images

Pulstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2022, 10:35   #23  |  Link
Charky

Many of you are already aware of it (I recognized a few names on the JRiver forum) bur JRiver now has created its own in-house renderer called JRVR, actively developed by Hendrik/nevcairel (LAV filters) : https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/ind...,130657.0.html

The wiki : https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/JR...Video_Renderer

It's in active development but already has everything I need : HDR passthrough, dynamic tone mapping, framerate matching, quality downscaling and upscaling.

In their own words :

Quote:
JRVR was designed around the following key concepts

Cross-Platform : A cross-platform renderer allows us to offer a consistent video experience on all supported platforms, on Windows, Linux and Mac

High-Quality Video : High-Quality processing and presentation of the videos is the primary goal of JRVR. Including full support for HDR and other modern video technologies.

Ease of Use ("It just works!") : The experience should be good out of the box, and only get better with a bit of configuration, and not require hours of research to tune hundreds of options

Efficiency/Scalability : Low-end machines can still play video just fine. And we want to enable them to do so in high-quality. At the same time, faster machines can use more advanced features to get even more out of the videos.

In summary, the goal is for JRVR to offer a high-quality video experience for everyone, without requiring expensive hardware, or extensive knowledge and configuration.
While there will always be a niche for more advanced features in madVR and others, JRVR aims to cover 99% of everything else.

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2022, 19:12   #24  |  Link
toniash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charky View Post
Many of you are already aware of it (I recognized a few names on the JRiver forum) bur JRiver now has created its own in-house renderer called JRVR, actively developed by Hendrik/nevcairel (LAV filters)
Only for JRiver? not for use with Potplayer or MPC?
toniash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2022, 08:25   #25  |  Link
dbcooper

Quote:
Many of you are already aware of it (I recognized a few names on the JRiver forum) bur JRiver now has created its own in-house renderer called JRVR, actively developed by Hendrik/nevcairel (LAV filters) : https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/ind...,130657.0.html

The wiki : https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/JR...Video_Renderer

It's in active development but already has everything I need : HDR passthrough, dynamic tone mapping, framerate matching, quality downscaling and upscaling.

In their own words :
A very interesting development! Thank you for posting that.
dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2022, 16:35   #26  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniash View Post
Only for JRiver? not for use with Potplayer or MPC?
AFAIK it's only in JRiver. It's a bit of a letdown since the JRiver UI is (IMO of course) a mess. But if you can live with that, you have a new option

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2022, 19:08   #27  |  Link
JimH
Minneapolis

MC29 is out now on the forum. Lots of changes in JRVR.
Old 11th March 2022, 19:10   #28  |  Link
JimH
Minneapolis

Quote:
... since the JRiver UI is (IMO of course) a mess. ...
It can be customized. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Simplified_Interface
Old 12th March 2022, 12:29   #29  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulstar View Post
I'm sorry I had to necro this thread to ask a specific question since MPC Video Renderer lacks its own topic/forum, but what is meant by dim lighting and can it adjusted, for HDR content or otherwise?
No.
It's just the DXVA_VideoLighting parameter of the DXVA_ExtendedFormat structure, which is found in the VIDEOINFOHEADER2 structure of the renderer's input media type.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2022, 12:42   #30  |  Link
huhn

did you try dim and dark out?
it's supposed to change the gamma but how would it do that it doesn't know the gamma of the display just the room lightning...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2022, 19:13   #31  |  Link
Pulstar

Thanks for the replies, but for 2K res the renderer seems to be not good at upscaling videos regarding of setting so I reverted to madVR nightly for the time being, despite being more resource-intensive.
Pulstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2022, 18:13   #32  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
did you try dim and dark out?
it's supposed to change the gamma but how would it do that it doesn't know the gamma of the display just the room lightning...
The video renderer has no control over this. This is the video stream parameter that comes after the decoder, which is usually just an empty value. The value "dim*" only indicates that the value is not set and will most likely be used by default.
It's in my link above.
Quote:
DXVA_VideoLighting_Unknown
Specifies that the video lighting condition is not specified. The default is dim.
This is a very strange parameter and it is unlikely that anyone has used it. It is just for information in MPC VR.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 18:33   #33  |  Link
huhn

i'm just interest if it works.

it's maybe a cheap way for low end system to change the gamma.
why would a decoder know your lighting condition...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2022, 02:34   #34  |  Link
Sunspark

The cheapest way for me to change the gamma, is to use the monitor's menu. The Dell I have, in the menus there is a gamma choice between PC and Mac. The old Mac gamma was 1.8 which I find good in well-lit conditions.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2022, 21:15   #35  |  Link
Schwartz

Back when I used mpv on Linux a couple of years ago on an Intel GMA X4500MHD, it took more processing power to do low quality OpenGL (I think that was with Bilinear) than using Windows, EVR-CP and standard Bicubic. Things may have gotten better since then. EVR Sync produced occasional dropped frames but was otherwise ok.

-> In low power scenarios EVR-CP is fine. It's one of the lightest on resources and produces "ok" visuals. MPC-HC on Windows worked better than mpv on Linux with cheapest settings.

Also, I recently compared mpv on Windows 10 with madVR, and found that the Chroma upsampling on mpv even when using the Bilateral scaler was nowhere near as good and crisp as madVRs Bilateral. But madVR does tend to use a bit more processing power. FSRCNNX and NGU are both good. The issue is Chroma.

-> In high power scenarios madVR can't be beat. mpv with HQ settings is also "perfectly fine" but just doesn't edge out madVR. It would be good on hardware that is struggling to make full use of madVR.

At least that's been my experience. I make no claim to universality but I fiddled, compared, stared at way too many image stills and CPU/GPU usage graphs.

Last edited by Schwartz; 25th April 2022 at 22:58.
Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2023, 20:55   #36  |  Link
OrangeColaJuice

If you want to compare a custom solution to another custom solution try this shader with MPV.
KrigBilateral.glsl
Code:
glsl-shader="C:\Apps\mpv\shaders\KrigBilateral.glsl"
gpu-shader-cache-dir="C:\Apps\MPVshadercache"
^ above for your config or as parameters on startup

Use it alone, without any other custom shader.
OrangeColaJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2023, 23:50   #37  |  Link
strumf666

Is madvr still the best renderer? I am possibly looking for another render because of my issue with hdr passthrough/switching.
strumf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2023, 17:50   #38  |  Link
kopija

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
Is madvr still the best renderer? I am possibly looking for another render because of my issue with hdr passthrough/switching.
For me it is.
This may be a cure for your problems.
kopija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2023, 19:02   #39  |  Link
richardpl

madvr is dead project/code do not use it.
richardpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2023, 11:32   #40  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
madvr is dead project/code do not use it.
We know than free software madvr is dead, but maybe you can recommend another better free renderer for now.

With mpc-hc or mpe-be players we can use also EVR (Enhanced Video Renderer) or MPC Video Renderer (if installed, see previous post)

Maybe in this thread we can compare them (or others) with the dead madvr.

Tags
direct3d, enhanced, video renderer