Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th July 2009, 12:10   #21  |  Link
Oleg Rode

Quote:
Hi All, A new version (0.6.1) has been made available. This version hasn't implemented the large bitmap support, but it will give a polite error message.
Thanks for your work
Oleg Rode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 14:38   #22  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Was also wondering about those empty subs. Works fine now with 0.6.1. Thanks!
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 11:53   #23  |  Link
Oleg Rode

Program is crushing on this ASS file
http://rapidshare.com/files/25752121...f_25_.ass.html

Is there any possibility to write log into a file? I can't get the problem string in ASS file and try to fix it manually.

P.S. Is it possibly to make a bigger font in log window?
Old 19th July 2009, 17:37   #24  |  Link
slartibardfast

Hi Oleg,

That crash is quite an unusual one to fix for me, as it is in libass. Rather than delve into it's internals I've found a more recent version (http://greg.geekmind.org/viewgit/?a=summary&p=libass), thankfully this allows that subtitle to be produced! [In the future I'll keep in sync with this tree.]

However as I'm quite close to figuring out the format of the large subtitle bitmaps, going to delay releasing this until the next release.

It is about time the application got some preferences, so the release after that will also have configurable logging (including file redirection, font size and maybe png output).

Thanks again for your bug reports!
slartibardfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 20:51   #25  |  Link
Oleg Rode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibardfast View Post
Hi Oleg, That crash is quite an unusual one to fix for me, as it is in libass. Rather than delve into it's internals I've found a more recent version (http://greg.geekmind.org/viewgit/?a=summary&p=libass), thankfully this allows that subtitle to be produced! [In the future I'll keep in sync with this tree.]
OK, can anybody compile a *.dll file?

Quote:
Thanks again for your bug reports!
No, all thanks go to you. I searched for this program during 2 years. And I really happy that you made it and I can use it for free.

Again, sorry for my English
Old 20th July 2009, 19:00   #26  |  Link
Oleg Rode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibardfast View Post
Hi Oleg,

That crash is quite an unusual one to fix for me, as it is in libass. Rather than delve into it's internals I've found a more recent version (http://greg.geekmind.org/viewgit/?a=summary&p=libass), thankfully this allows that subtitle to be produced! [In the future I'll keep in sync with this tree.]
Well, not yet. The program stops somewhere in the middle of the process. Beta version of the ass.dll does not produce log and it is not possible to see the problem.

Anyway, waiting for new build.
Old 12th August 2009, 07:44   #27  |  Link
hamletiii

Can this program be expanded to export RGBA8 png files+bdn xml so that scenarist BD can use? Tried a simple file muxed with tsmuxer, then demux the graphic files using BD demuxer, but BD demuxer just gave up...
hamletiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 12:44   #28  |  Link
slartibardfast

hi I'm seriously busy with work at the moment, too busy too fix two outstanding bugs. I'll will be back as soon as I can to bug-fixing!

However as I can't afford that software supporting it's format wouldn't a priority for me, Sorry!

Have you tried using the wonderful BDSup2Sub to convert from the pgs generated .sup to .bdn?
Old 12th August 2009, 19:19   #29  |  Link
hamletiii

Thanks for the recommendation, BDSup2Sub worked like a charm.
However, If I use large font size, PunkGraphicStream just reports encode fails - Subtitle image too large. Try to reduce effects, font size or number of characters.

Code:
[ass] **MSGL_V**: FreeType library version: 2.3.9
[ass] **MSGL_V**: FreeType headers version: 2.3.9
[ass] **MSGL_INFO**: [ass] Init
[ass] **MSGL_INFO**: [ass] Updating font cache.
[ass] **MSGL_V**: file size: 38462
[ass] **MSGL_V**: [05156488] Style: Default,Arial,28,&H00FFFFFF,&H000000FF,&H00000000,&HC8000000,0,0,0,0,100,125,0,0,1,1.2,0,2,10,10,50,1
[ass] **MSGL_INFO**: [ass] Added subtitle file: E:\punkgraphicstreamtry\engtotal_linespace.ass (1 styles, 372 events)
[ass] **MSGL_V**: fontconfig_select: (Arial, 80, 0) -> C:/WINDOWS/fonts/arial.ttf, 0
[ass] **MSGL_V**: cache statistics: 
  total accesses: 25660
  hits: 25659
  misses: 1
  object count: 1
  total accesses: 821706
  hits: 810012
  misses: 11694
  object count: 1266
  total accesses: 821706
  hits: 810012
  misses: 11694
  object count: 1266
I have to decrease my font size to 22. What's this fontconfig_select: (Arial, 80, 0), is this 80 the output font size? Font size 22 and 28 doesn't change it at all.

Another issue is that the output does not seem stay close to what my preview in aegisub/vsfilter was. I had some drop shadow applied, but the output seems ignoring it. Also the output doesn't seem to have the same aspect ratio as in the preview in aegisub/vsfilter, the subtitles appear to be crushed/rectangular in the x direction. I have to change Scale Y% to 125 to encounter the problem.
hamletiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 21:31   #30  |  Link
Oleg Rode

Quote:
Another issue is that the output does not seem stay close to what my preview in aegisub/vsfilter was. I had some drop shadow applied, but the output seems ignoring it. Also the output doesn't seem to have the same aspect ratio as in the preview in aegisub/vsfilter, the subtitles appear to be crushed/rectangular in the x direction. I have to change Scale Y% to 125 to encounter the problem.
It is a problem of rendering engine. This engine is based on libass.dll crossplatform library. This library is still WorkInProgress and new alfa versions appear very often. Still, it's not so good and correct as aegisub/vsfilter engine.

Please correct me if I am wrong. And sorry for my English
Old 30th August 2009, 21:02   #31  |  Link
sneaker_ger

The timing of the subtitles should adapt to the framerate chosen. Create an ass file (24000/1001 fps) and let a subtitle start on 00:00:01.00 ( the last zeros meaning frame #0) and it will create a sup file with the subtitle starting on 00:00:01.000 (last zeros meaning 0 ms) instead of 00:00:01.001.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 21:39   #32  |  Link
slartibardfast

Hi All,

Just to let you know, Got some free time today and finally managed to figure out the multipart RLE bitmaps.

Version 0.7 will be out next week, I've first got to rebuild all the libraries for a new libass version (0.9.8 has been released) and add Windows 7 support.

P.S. sneaker_ger, I'll try to fixed the timing issue too. I'd it is caused by some over-enthusiastic overlap detection/merging of events.

Thanks for continued patience!

Uploaded Version 0.7, got testing the win32 version with tsMuxeR 1.10.6 seems fine, especially the multipart bitmaps , although I've yet to test complex animations with large bitmaps, it might be a challenge for devices to handle but it is not like I have access to the spec to avoid violations- as always test where you need these subs to work! (And please report success/failures thanks!)

Last edited by slartibardfast; 27th September 2009 at 22:21. Reason: Version 0.7
Old 2nd October 2009, 13:25   #33  |  Link
Oleg Rode

<out for testing your program >
Old 2nd October 2009, 13:42   #34  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Thanks!! I will test the new version out asap
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 08:17   #35  |  Link
Oleg Rode

Well, the new libass works much better (less "do not know how to decode" warnings), but large subs still have flickering. Especially complex subs - picture is in the upper and the bottom part of the screen.
Here is an example ASS file. Mux it with any 720p video.
http://rapidshare.com/files/28804644..._-_01.ass.html
Problem is on the first moving pink sub.

May be this thread could be usefull
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146493&page=4

Last edited by Oleg Rode; 3rd October 2009 at 08:23.
Old 3rd October 2009, 12:58   #36  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

With the sub I posted a while ago in this thread: I only had flickering a couple of times on fades. I can't say about missing lines as I haven't watched the movie completely yet. But it seems like great improvement from the last version. Only thing I noticed.. The tooltips is still really confusing. (23.97 and 24 are switched)

But as I said before.. Great improvement

Thanks!!!

//LD
Old 30th October 2009, 23:23   #37  |  Link
slartibardfast

Hi All,

Sorry I seem to have somehow disabled email notification :-( my bad...

Thanks for the link to that thread Oleg, some very interesting points are raised, never really considered the palette shifting as a solution to fading, there is a possibility that over the winter holiday I could bake some dirty hack into the renderer. Something like calculating the % of transparency of a faded image from the middle image and just use the centre image from the start with that % of transparency added to its palette. Unfortunately I'm really busy for the foreseeable future.

I guess you are hitting the limits of the spec (which I am blissfully unaware of ), don't forget blu-ray players are embedded devices!!! Personally I don't use any animations or fades in the subtitles I make with PGS, for me it is all about good resolution fonts!

Thanks also LowDead for the reports! Sorry about the tooltip Promise it will be fixed for the next release!
Old 21st March 2010, 19:39   #38  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Hi slartibardfast

Not to rush or anything, but i'm beginning to get a bit eager to try out a new version ;-) Any news?

Have a good one!

/LD
Old 2nd April 2010, 17:49   #39  |  Link
slartibardfast

Hi Guys!

Managed to free up some time to look at this again. I've released 0.7.1 which fixes a bug in the colour table generation which could cause invalid output and the tooltips. I've also improved the validation of the sup files.

I've also tweaked the output validation, so there should be more warning when an invalid file has been generated.

LowDead, unless you were running in this bug not much excitement tbh! The next version will probably concentrate on updating to the latest libass and more platforms, unless you have some feature requests?

Cheers
Old 3rd April 2010, 19:59   #40  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

That's very nice to hear. I really like this project alot and hope others do aswell.

And for the moment no feature requests. It is better to get it stable and iron out the bugs first

/LD