Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 19th September 2009, 17:22   #1301  |  Link
JungleBoy

Subject: Variable audio delay in BBC HD TS files (ITV HD TS files are probably the same).

I've taken 4x30 second samples from a 1 hour BBC HD programme and put them through DGAVCIndexNV.
The audio delay value (in the ac3 filename) comes out at -1104ms, -1016ms, -1072ms and -800ms.
If I run the 1 hour TS file through DGAVCIndexNV the audio delay comes out with -1104ms (same as the sample from the start of the programme).
I just wondered if you were aware of this. Maybe DGAVCIndexNV could use the average audio delay.
This might be related to the recent change over of the BBC HD encoders where the audio delay has shot up from about -50/-70ms to around -1000ms. I can send links to the TS samples if you want to check.

Last edited by JungleBoy; 20th September 2009 at 09:57.
Old 19th September 2009, 19:25   #1302  |  Link

When joining such files you may have to fix up the possible audio/video gaps at the junctions between files. You can either demux using DGAVCIndexNV as usual and then fix up the audio stream using my tool Joints, or you can demux the audio using EAC3TO, which will fix up the gaps during demuxing.

But with EAC3TO, you cannot do this with the -demux option; you have to use the track decoding syntax, as explained in the Joints thread.
Old 19th September 2009, 19:47   #1303  |  Link
nautilus7

I 've been reading some posts regarding using eac3to, so here's the wiki page (it's been a while since i last updated it, but this part is ok).
Old 20th September 2009, 12:39   #1304  |  Link
st0niMah0ni

Hello people.

I get a error message for 3 days now, it dosnt matter what i try I canīt encode the last days with NV versions of dgindex.

cuvid picture decode () error

thats what I allways get, and the time when it happens again is allways random.

It would be so nice to fix this.
Maybe you know a solution?

Iīm running 1.04 if cuda server

Last edited by Guest; 20th September 2009 at 14:18. Reason: rule 4
Old 20th September 2009, 14:20   #1305  |  Link

What is your source file? Can you post a link to a sample that causes this problem?

What Nvidia card are you running and with what Nvidia driver version?
Old 20th September 2009, 16:51   #1306  |  Link
st0niMah0ni

Hey Neuron, thx for your reply.
It doesnt depend on the file, it happened now with 3 different files,
two of the encodes crashed with this error in the 1.pass, but they ran fine when I startet it again.
The latest one crashed in 2nd pass. And this happened now 4 times.

Nvidia Card 9800 Pro GT

Driver Version : 190.62

Running Windows-7 32-bit OEM.

It was fine for 2 month now. but since a few days I cannot encode anything running cuvidserver.exe

Sometimes it crashes without any message and I just recognize it by watching the cmd window and it just get stuck....

When I look in the Taskmanager after there is no Cuvidserver.exe running anymore...

I think the problem is more on my side but I dont know anything about this error , it could be so much.

P.s. You edited my 1st post with the reason : rule 4

what did I wrong? I didnt say any disrespectfull word?

Last edited by st0niMah0ni; 20th September 2009 at 16:59.
Old 20th September 2009, 17:47   #1307  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0niMah0ni View Post
It was fine for 2 month now. but since a few days I cannot encode anything
Simple fix: System Restore to before, when it worked.
Old 20th September 2009, 20:01   #1308  |  Link

If it were me, I would remove and reinstall the NVidia drivers.

Also, just play your script with VirtualDub and see if that crashes. The idea is to know if your encoder GUI is doing something funny. Which one are you using BTW?

(Regarding the rule 4 edit, you used superfluous profanity. Followup to PM if you need to discuss it further.)
Old 20th September 2009, 20:02   #1309  |  Link
st0niMah0ni

@ laserfan

sorry pal but thats a solution I will not think about or even care about.It was fine until last week,this machine is as it is.
There is no changes in Hardware or Software for monthes.

I am not going to roll back my system

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
If it were me, I would remove and reinstall the NVidia drivers.

Also, just play your script with VirtualDub and see if that crashes. The idea is to know if your encoder GUI is doing something funny. Which one are you using BTW?

(Regarding the rule 4 edit, you used superfluous profanity. Followup to PM if you need to discuss it further.)

I am using x264 latest build from techouse @ x264.tk
32-bit.

My scripts allways play fine, I use them also in AVSP.

I Will try to get some "old" nvidia drivers and will test it then, but now the encode is running with directshow source, I need to wait about 18 hours.

I will post my reply then. thx for help

Last edited by st0niMah0ni; 20th September 2009 at 20:09.
Old 4th October 2009, 00:33   #1310  |  Link
darcmage

Just got the license today and I've been trying a few things out. I've noticed some strange things that hopefully someone can help me out with.

System:
Q9400
2GB Ram
Nvidia 9800GT (191.03)
Windows 7 x86
Avisynth 2.58
x264.exe r1271
Source: 10min 1920x1080 interlaced clip from Hauppauge HDPVR

AVS Script
Code:
LoadPlugin("D:\DGAVCNV\DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("E:\Capture\test1.dga", deinterlace=1, resize_w=1024, resize_h=576)
Batch file
Code:
x264.exe --profile high --crf 27.0 --level 4.1 --keyint 300 --min-keyint 30 
--ref 2 --direct auto --deblock -1:-1 --subme 5 --trellis 0 --partitions 
p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8 --vbv-bufsize 50000 --vbv-maxrate 50000 --thread-input --output 1.mp4 1.avs
When I first tried out the encode, I was getting nearly 17fps which was much better than the 9fps I was getting with the regular DGAVC. I noticed my CPU usage wasn't as high as it could be so after a search here, I updated to the latest x264 and saw the encoding speed jump to 26fps.

On my next test, the speed dropped back down to 17fps.

I couldn't reproduce the 26fps until I started messing with EVGA Precision (Rivatuner clone). I activated my gaming preset (650/1625/950) and the fps jumped to 49fps! All other clockspeeds would result in 20fps max.

I decided to try lowering the resolution.

AVC Script
Code:
LoadPlugin("D:\DGAVCNV\DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("E:\Capture\test1.dga", deinterlace=1, resize_w=640, resize_h=368)
Batch file
Code:
x264.exe --profile high --crf 24.0 --level 3.1 --keyint 300 --min-keyint 30 
--direct auto --deblock -1:-1 --subme 6 --partitions 
p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8 --vbv-bufsize 14000 --vbv-maxrate 17500 --thread-input --output 1sd.mp4 1sd.avs
This would result in a maximum encoding speed of 49fps as well. A head-scratcher to me. I don't understand the dramatic drop in speeds with the various GPU clockspeeds and why a lower resolution wouldn't increase the encoding speed. Appreciate any help you guys can provide.
Old 4th October 2009, 00:43   #1311  |  Link

Scratching my head too but I'd be happy with an increase from 9fps to 49fps.
Old 4th October 2009, 01:03   #1312  |  Link
darcmage

Quote:
Scratching my head too but I'd be happy with an increase from 9fps to 49fps.
Oh I'm definitely not complaining. Just trying to understand what's going on. I'm perfectly willing to accept the situation as is.
Old 4th October 2009, 02:01   #1313  |  Link
kemuri-_9
Compiling Encoder

back when i was testing out Donald's NV tools and the CUDA renderer within the CUDA toolkit some many moons ago,
I found that the vp chip has a constant fps rate for all material and for all resolution sizes...

so decoding a 720x480 mpeg2 clip will have the same decoding speed as a 1920x1088 h264 clip does, despite the large differences these would have on a cpu.

i usually saw the render rate just under 50 fps on my VP2 card, so it coincides with your findings of 49 fps being the maximum.
Old 6th October 2009, 16:20   #1314  |  Link
darcmage

Thanks for the info. I've started working on the assumption that 49fps is the max and cranking up the quality options until I max the cpu while maintaining an acceptable encoding rate.

I did go through some instability involving various errors previously mentioned in this thread like the decodePicture() error and the cannot create display error when trying to use the dll found at neuron's site. I tried everything I could think of, installing different driver sets and various nvidia tweaking utilities. It wasn't until I copied nvcuvid.dll from the system32 directory to the CUVIDServer and DGAVCIndexNV directory that I've been able to encode without any errors. Hopefully that'll help someone in the future.
Old 6th October 2009, 16:55   #1315  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcmage View Post
It wasn't until I copied nvcuvid.dll from the system32 directory to the CUVIDServer and DGAVCIndexNV directory that I've been able to encode without any errors.
That's not necessary. Just leave the Nvidia installed DLL where it is and do not use any DLL from my site.

Quote:
Hopefully that'll help someone in the future.
That also shouldn't be necessary, if they read my clearly written readme file, as you have apparently did not do.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:03   #1316  |  Link
darcmage

I should have clarified that part. I was experiencing the cuvid picture decode () mentioned above which would crash the display adapter and lock the clockrates on power saving mode until I restarted. This happened before I knew about nvcuvid and nothing in the readme addresses this.

I came here looking for a solution and found one of your previous posts mentioning using your dll in the dgavcnv directory and that's when I started getting the Failed to create video decoder errors. I thought maybe I should replace the system32 dll with yours but decided to try using the newer system32 dll in the dgavcnv directory instead and have been stable ever since.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:05   #1317  |  Link

I'm saying that if you followed the readme from the beginning, i.e., use the specified version of the Nvidia driver and do not use any special nvcuvid DLL, then you wouldn't have run into any of the problems you created for yourself.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:21   #1318  |  Link
darcmage

From the readme:
Quote:
You must install version 190.62 or later of the Nvidia driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcmage View Post
Nvidia 9800GT (191.03)
Again, the cuvid picture decode () errors started happening before any knowledge of nvcuvid.dll. I didn't have any other version other than the one installed by the driver.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:40   #1319  |  Link

And you say you fixed that how?

Did you have an old version of the nvcuvid.dll in your DGNV directory? That's the only thing that could explain how copying from system32 to there could have changed anything...it overwrote the old one.

So then we ask, why did you have an old one in there?

Last edited by Guest; 6th October 2009 at 18:43.
Old 6th October 2009, 19:50   #1320  |  Link
darcmage

Quote:
And you say you fixed that how?

Did you have an old version of the nvcuvid.dll in your DGNV directory? That's the only thing that could explain how copying from system32 to there could have changed anything...it overwrote the old one.

So then we ask, why did you have an old one in there?
There was no nvcuvid.dll in the DGNV directory until I searched these forums for a solution to the first set of errors which resulted in the second set of errors.

Maybe it has something do with Win7. All I know is copying the nvcuvid.dll from the system32 dir to the DGNV dir seems to help and someone else with similar issues may want to give it a try.
Closed Thread