Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 30th October 2015, 18:08   #661  |  Link
sfatula

No, in settings, it shows BDSup2Sub as the ++ version only. It doesn't run with open either, I guess it really must have the 32 bit version. Somehow, it is restricted to that. I don't see where it says, on their "site", that it requires 32 bit though. Perhaps the restriction is built into your program?
Old 30th October 2015, 19:59   #662  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, maybe. I have to check my code. IIRC, I have added a function to check if Java is available, but since BD3D2MK3D is a 32-bit program, it "sees" only the 32-bit programs, and doesn't find java 64-bit. It's probably why you can't select BDSup2Sub.jar in the Settings menu.

I will verify that tomorrow, and if it's possible, I'll release a fix. In the meantime, you can probably use BDSup2Sub++. It has several bugs, but it works fine most of the times.
Old 31st October 2015, 11:30   #663  |  Link
frank
Banned

x264 log writing

Oh, it's not a good idea to write the encode-3d.log continuousely.
I had to comment out the line, or is there a switch?

1. On SSD I get a lot unwanted write cycles that shorten the life!
The CMD-window is entirely sufficient.

2. I've got buffer underflows, never had before. I'm working with my notebook, the encoder is running in background.
Old 31st October 2015, 11:40   #664  |  Link
frank
Banned

Windows power management doesn't much care about operations in the cmd window. So my notebook will go to sleep/off after time. The enoding process will be interrupted.

To avoid that I have to manually set the power management to max. power for encoding.
Is there a better solution for BD3D2MK3D to maintain the cmd window running?
Old 31st October 2015, 11:48   #665  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I agree that there is a lot of useless info in the x264 log. I have added it at the request of wiggaz. And the log may be useful if you encode during the night and you have enabled the option to shut the PC down. In that case, you cannot see the log in the command prompt window.

There is currently no option to disable it, but I can add it in the next version. In the meantime, just delete the end of the command in __ENCODE_3D.cmd (in red below):
Code:
"D:\Tcl\work\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\avs2yuv.exe" ^
  "__ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs" -frames 139243 -o - ^
  | "D:\Tcl\work\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\x264_x64.exe" ^
  --crf 21 --preset slower --level 4.1 --vbv-bufsize 78125 --vbv-maxrate 62500 ^
  --threads 4 ^
  --sar 1:1 ^
  --frame-packing 3 --qpfile chapters_3D.qpfile --frames 139243 --fps 24000/1001 ^
  --output "00801_3D.264" --demuxer y4m --stdin y4m - ^
  2>&1 | "D:\Tcl\work\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\tee.exe" ENCODE_3D.log
Don't forget to delete also the tailing ^ of the previous line!
Old 31st October 2015, 11:53   #666  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
Windows power management doesn't much care about operations in the cmd window. So my notebook will go to sleep/off after time. The enoding process will be interrupted.

To avoid that I have to manually set the power management to max. power for encoding.
Is there a better solution for BD3D2MK3D to maintain the cmd window running?
Hum, I have never encountered that problem, and honestly I don't think I can do something to avoid it.

There are stupid programs available on the net to simulate a mouse move of key press regularly while a certain window is open, or a certain program is running. Perhaps you can use that kind of trick, but I don't think it's something that should be hardcoded in BD3D2MK3D. After all, it's a Windows bug!

Perhaps there is also a power management option to NOT go into sleep mode when the notebook is connected to the AC power?
Old 1st November 2015, 10:18   #667  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.77

Here it is. There are several fixes and improvements, including for the bugs and requests reported here. I have also added a new "Chapterizer" tool that allows you to simply add evenly spaced chapters to an existing MKV file. It may be handy to add chapters to MKV files originally created without chapters, or to replace bad chapters with more useful ones.

And, this time, the version number is correct! ;-)
Quote:
v0.77 (November 1, 2015)
- Added Tools -> Chapterizer (to add chapters to an existing MKV file)
- Added MkvInfo.exe (from the MkvToolnix package) in the toolset directory (necessary for the new Chapterizer).
- Added Settings -> AVC/HEVC Encoder -> Save (huge!) log of the encoder on disc (disabled by default)
- Workaround for a bug in the DcaDec DTS decoder. When it fails due to a (wrong?) synchronisation error, the conversion to AC3 or AAC is restarted with the Libav decoder.
- Fix: The wrong folder was opened in Explorer at the end of the Batch Encode procedure.
- Fix: Removed the requirement to have the 32-bit version of Java installed, since it appears that BDSup2Sub works well with the 64-bit version.
Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 1st November 2015, 10:20   #668  |  Link
frank
Banned

Power Management

Yeah, I managed it with selecting 3 hours in balanced mode when the notebook is connected to AC.
It will be sufficient for an encoding.
Thanks.

________
Dell XPS 15, Windows 7 prof

Last edited by frank; 1st November 2015 at 10:34.
Old 1st November 2015, 10:57   #669  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the confirmation. BTW, I've just found Shut It! that may be the tool you need to prevent the PC from shutting down or going into sleep mode, while still permitting it (or even forcing it) when the encoding and muxing processes are finished. I haven't tried it, and I'm not sure it will work, but you may want to have a look.
[EDIT] Sorry, but it seems that it is no longer possible to download it. If you find a copy somewhere, please let me know...

Last edited by r0lZ; 1st November 2015 at 11:04.
Old 2nd November 2015, 23:45   #670  |  Link
odyssey

r0lz: I have a question. I have previously got the impression that 3D blurays had to be mounted as an image, because they contain "something" which is needed for 3D processing. Can't remember if it was a previous version of BD3D2MK3D, eac3to or whatever, or maybe I just misunderstood something.

Reason I'm asking, is that I tried to process a blu-ray that had been extracted to a folder, and it seemed to process with no problems. It would really ease my workflow, if I could just extract all my images, instead of running them through daemon-tools or similar.
Old 3rd November 2015, 00:11   #671  |  Link
sfatula

Images per se are not necessary, depends what you are trying to do though. For my processing, I used MakeMKV to unprotect and backup my own BluRay disc to a folder. I then used BD3D2MK3D for it's own purposes against my backup (it would not have worked against the BluRay due to protection), worked just fine. I am storing my collection on disc instead of having to find the BluRay. I play the resulting 3d via Kodi. It all just works. Heck, I actually edited the TrueHD track for my own purposes as well.

Now, there are certainly formats that you may need a special player for, etc. But, no need for the original BluRay, just depends what specifically you are trying to do. MakeMKV can also create a 3D MVC mkv file for example, however, as far as I know, only one player will play it. Stereoscopic player, and it's not cheap.

So, doubtful you need to use daemontools or other such programs.
Old 3rd November 2015, 00:57   #672  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Previous versions of BD3D2MK3D (and BD3D2AVS as it was called at the beginning) used eac3to to demux the tracks, and for technical reasons it was necessary to use the SSIF files, except in very special cases, where the M2TS files were used. It was therefore necessary to copy on HDD a lot of files, including the M2TS (in BDMV/STREAM) and the SSIF files (in BDMV/STREAM/SSIF). Since the SSIF files are some kind of clones (or hard links) of the M2TS files but without physical data on BD, when they were copied, the result was that the content of the 3D movies was copied twice. It was therefore totally inefficient to copy a 3DBD as files on HDD, and much more rapid and economical to create an ISO. For that reason, it was recommended to use a mounted ISO, or the original BD decrypted on the fly by AnyDVD HD. And if you used a decrypter program that copies only the M2TS, BD3D2MK3D was unable to create the project due to the missing SSIFs.

In more recent versions, BD3D2MK3D uses tsMuxeR to demux the streams and tsMuxeR uses only the M2TS files. So, after a few modifications in my code, the necessity to have the SSIF files has been removed. The M2TS files are sufficient. It's why the copies released by MakeMKV work fine. Of course, a copy with any other decrypter should work equally well, even if the program ignores the 3D content and/or the SSIF files. However, I have recently fixed a bug causing BD3D2MK3D to fail when there was no SSIF on disc, and currently, due to that fix, BD3D2MK3D doesn't check any more if the free disc space is sufficient if it cannot find the SSIF files.

Conclusion: Yes, it is now possible to use a copy of the files on disc (with or without the SSIF files), but if the SSIF files are missing, be sure to verify yourself if there is sufficient disc space on the target drive, before launching the creation of the project and before launching the encoding.

Last edited by r0lZ; 3rd November 2015 at 01:01.
Old 5th November 2015, 21:09   #673  |  Link
blublub

Hi

That tool is awesome. I did encoding normal 1080p for years now but never had the time to try a 3D encode because it involved a lot more steps and therefore time.

This tool finally made me do it..and yeah it cool :-)

Since I have a fully capable 4k setup I wonder if it is possible to make a 4K 3D SBS from a 1080p 3D bluray to achieve a higher quality?
Old 5th November 2015, 21:25   #674  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks!

You can resize the video up to 4K manually (by editing the AVS script or the x264 command), but you won't get a higher quality. And don't forget that 3D requires twice the frame rate than 2D. Are you sure your hardware supports 4K 3D?

IMO, as long as the resolution of the 3DBDs is "standard" hi-res (1080p), the best thing to do to preserve the video quality is to encode in Full-SBS, with a low CRF value, to be as close as possible to the original video stream. Upscaling the video will not improve it and will require much more disc space.
Old 5th November 2015, 21:44   #675  |  Link
blublub

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Thanks!

You can resize the video up to 4K manually (by editing the AVS script or the x264 command), but you won't get a higher quality. And don't forget that 3D requires twice the frame rate than 2D. Are you sure your hardware supports 4K 3D?

IMO, as long as the resolution of the 3DBDs is "standard" hi-res (1080p), the best thing to do to preserve the video quality is to encode in Full-SBS, with a low CRF value, to be as close as possible to the original video stream. Upscaling the video will not improve it and will require much more disc space.

ahh ok.

Which setting do I need for full SBS? I just selected SBS, crf 17, preset slow, ang profile high with preset film - so encodimg should be os good quality
Old 5th November 2015, 21:51   #676  |  Link
sfatula

Uncheck the box on the "Options and GO" tab labelled "Half", right next to "Side by Side" This presumes you can actually play full side by side. crf 17 should turn out very nice.
Old 5th November 2015, 22:08   #677  |  Link
blublub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfatula View Post
Uncheck the box on the "Options and GO" tab labelled "Half", right next to "Side by Side" This presumes you can actually play full side by side. crf 17 should turn out very nice.

ok will try. I hope I an convince Kodi to play it :-)
Old 5th November 2015, 22:41   #678  |  Link
sfatula

It might, be, you would need to be able to define a screen resolution of 3840x1080, which my system does not allow. I also use Kodi. I think it's more of a graphics issue. Even if my computer system supported it, don't think it would work anyway as the projector does not.
Old 6th November 2015, 00:41   #679  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

If Full-SBS or 4K video is rejected by many hardware players, it's due to the relatively low capacity of their graphics buffers and/or the speed of the rendering engine. Every hardware has its limits, and currently most 3D TVs or projectors support only Half-SBS (or Half-T&B) in 1080p (but some can support Full-SBS/T&B in 720p).

Also, for totally different reasons, it is currently not possible to convert the subtitles to 3D in Full-SBS or Full-T&B format, because the graphics format (BD SUP and DVD VobSub) are made for "standard" resolutions like PAL, NTSC, 720p or 1080p, but not for left+right combined views such as Full-SBS (3840x1080). It is however still possible to hardcode the subtitles on the video.

So, be sure to know what you are doing. If you untick the Half option in the last tab, the compatibility of the MKV with most hardware players will be very low, and you won't have the possibility to include 3D subtitles. But if your hardware supports it, the video quality will be very good, especially with a low CRF like 17.
Old 6th November 2015, 08:33   #680  |  Link
blublub

Hi

I will give it a try.

In Kodi I can set 4K resolution that works and I tested it already.
It upscales 1080p content with spline36 just fine with no hiccups so I hope it will play a native 4K stream.

Hardware is:
AMD A10 6700
AVR Denon x6200
Samsung HU7590 UHD LED TV
Closed Thread