Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 5th July 2019, 17:31   #3201  |  Link
manolito

Glad you got it working...

And how do you like the quality?

Another tip I forgot to mention is when using high quality HD sources you will often be a little bit disappointed by the SD quality of the resulting DVD. I found that using FineSharp by Didée does a very good job of bringing back some of this crisp HD character to the result. If you are interested, get it here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/s5wu0v
Just extract the files into your "AviSynth\Plugins" folder and add "Video = Video.FineSharp()" (without the quotes) to your AVS script.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 5th July 2019 at 17:35.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 19:03   #3202  |  Link
Mike-uk

cheers manolito, havent had a chance to try out an encode with ffmpeg yet but when i do ill also try that plugin also

thanks
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2019, 11:58   #3203  |  Link
Mike-uk

cant get Video = Video.FineSharp() to work ??

<06/07/2019 11:54:05>
AVISYNTH SCRIPT
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Lib\A2DSource.avsi")

Video = A2DVideoSource("F:\Movies\test.mkv", CacheFolder="C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp", VFR=false, FrameRate=23.976)
# Audio is frameserved by AviSynth just for Preview and Edit purposes.
Audio = A2DAudioSource("F:\Movies\test.mkv", CacheFolder="C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp")

Video = Video.FineSharp()
Video = Video.ConvertToYV12()
Video = Video.AddBorders(0,140,0,140)
Video = Video.Spline36Resize(720,576)
Last = Video
f1=ChangeFPS(24)
f2=Trim(0,-1).AssumeFPS(24) + Trim(1,0).ChangeFPS(24)
Film=Merge(f1,f2)
p1=ChangeFPS(Film,25)
p2=Trim(Film,0,-1).AssumeFPS(25) + Trim(Film,1,0).ChangeFPS(25)
Pal=Merge(p1,p2)
Last = PAL.AssumeFPS(25)
Video = Last

AudioDub(Video, Audio)
SSRC(48000)

Trim(0,5000)
<>

DIRECTSHOW AUDIO MIXER OPERATIONS:
No LAV Filters mixer ON/OFF adjustment required at runtime
<>

START VIDEO ENCODING OPERATIONS
Video Encoding Profile: FFmpeg CBR 1-pass
Target Video FileSize: 203.9 MB
Encoding Parameters: -i "C:\Users\mike7\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_14_test.avs" -threads 12 -aspect 16:9 -c:v mpeg2video -b:v 8552k -minrate 8552k -maxrate 8552k -bufsize 2000k -dc 10 -bf 2 -mbd rd -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -y "C:\Users\mike7\Videos\DVD_14_test.m2v"
<>

<06/07/2019 11:54:10>
Process aborted during Title 1 VIDEO encoding operations.

Error Message: Warning! Title 1 output Video duration (00:00:00) is shorter than expected duration (00:03:20).

For Video issues troubleshooting see Help/FAQ/Video section.
<>

<06/07/2019 11:54:10>
Warning! AVStoDVD Project ended with errors.
Old 6th July 2019, 14:34   #3204  |  Link
manolito

FineSharp only works in YV12, so the filter needs to be AFTER the "ConvertToYV12()" statement.

Also did you extract all three files to the AviSynth autoload folder (usually "C:\program files x86\Avisynth\Plugins"). If there is another MaskTools2 DLL in this folder please try to rename the extension temporarily to DL_. Plus make sure that you have all current VC++ runtimes installed. The easiest way to do this is using the AIO runtime installer by abbodi1406 hrom here:
https://github.com/abbodi1406/vcredist/releases
Old 9th July 2019, 19:32   #3205  |  Link
Mike-uk

still no joy in getting finesharp to work

this is the error ffmpeg gives

[avisynth @ 02c77200] Script error: there is no function named "repair"
(FineSharp.avsi, line 48)
(C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\test.avs, line 8)

line 48

\ : mt_lutxy(shrp,shrp.removegrain(20,-1),"x x y - 9.9 * +",U=2,V=2).repair(shrp,12,0).mergeluma(shrp,1.0-xstr)

Last edited by Mike-uk; 9th July 2019 at 19:35.
Old 9th July 2019, 19:57   #3206  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-uk View Post
there is no function named "repair"
You need RGTools
Old 9th July 2019, 22:12   #3207  |  Link
manolito

Sorry, completely forgot Repair.DLL from Kassandro`s RemoveGrain package...

Get it here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/gj6w3e

or use RGTools as Groucho suggested. But then you need to delete RemoveGrain.DLL from your autoload folder to avoid having two different DLLs with identical functions.
Old 12th July 2019, 08:58   #3208  |  Link
Mike-uk

Thanks Groucho and manolito all working now
Old 12th July 2019, 14:55   #3209  |  Link
manolito

Any comments on the visual quality of the resulting DVD?
Old 13th July 2019, 08:01   #3210  |  Link
jim26

Hi, and thanks for all the help. I have a question. Why when i am using the script about converting from NTSC to PAL the resulting DVD is oversized? Instead of being about 4,32 gb it results to about 4,50 gb.
Quote:
<13/07/2019 09:29:58>
AVISYNTH SCRIPT
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Lib\A2DSource.avsi")

Video = A2DVideoSource("C:\Users\Dimitris\Desktop\MyMovie.mkv", CacheFolder="C:\Users\Dimitris\AppData\Local\Temp", VFR=false, FrameRate=23.976)
Audio = A2DAudioSource("C:\Users\Dimitris\Desktop\MyMovie.mkv", CacheFolder="C:\Users\Dimitris\AppData\Local\Temp")

Video = Video.ConvertToYV12()
Video = Video.AddBorders(0,86,0,88)
Video = Video.Spline16Resize(720,576)
Last = Video
f1=ChangeFPS(24)
f2=Trim(0,-1).AssumeFPS(24) + Trim(1,0).ChangeFPS(24)
Film=Merge(f1,f2)
p1=ChangeFPS(Film,25)
p2=Trim(Film,0,-1).AssumeFPS(25) + Trim(Film,1,0).ChangeFPS(25)
Pal=Merge(p1,p2)
Last = PAL.AssumeFPS(25)
Video = Last

AudioDub(Video, Audio)
SSRC(48000)
<>
jim26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2019, 11:35   #3211  |  Link
Mike-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Any comments on the visual quality of the resulting DVD?
i did 2 encodes 1 with hcenc all high settings 2pass and ffmpeg 2pass ultra hq with finesharp, ive played them side by side, the ffmpeg version i would say has slightly better sharpness on letters buts its hard to see any major difference, but i guess thats partly due to the low res of dvd, what can we expect from such res, but i guess we are getting the absolute best we can from dvd standard now

Last edited by Mike-uk; 13th July 2019 at 11:56.
Old 13th July 2019, 15:53   #3212  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim26 View Post
Why when i am using the script about converting from NTSC to PAL the resulting DVD is oversized? Instead of being about 4,32 gb it results to about 4,50 gb.
Sorry, no idea...

Is this consistent for all sources, or did it just happen with one specific source? Also if you used 1-pass VBR for the conversion, please try to use 2-pass instead.
Old 13th July 2019, 20:26   #3213  |  Link
jim26

I am using HCenc vbr 2-pass. I will try a different source and i will comment later, thanks!
Old 17th July 2019, 11:34   #3214  |  Link
jim26

Unfortunately same thing and with other sources. I am gonna use the PAL speed up from AVSTODVD that works fine.
Old 18th July 2019, 02:29   #3215  |  Link
manolito

Alright, I found it...

When calculating the required bitrate to reach the specified size AVStoDVD takes into account if speedup or slowdown is specified. When PAL speedup is selected, but the script is later modified so there will be no speedup, then the bitrate will be off by about 4%.

To get the correct bitrate you need to do the following:
1. In Explorer go to the AVStoDVD\DGPullown folder and temporarily rename DGPulldown.exe to something else.
2. Fire up AVDStoDVD, under Preferences->AviSynth uncheck PAL Speedup.
3. Load your source, under View/Edit Title Settings->AviSynth edit the AVS script by inserting my script after the resize command.

Don't forget to rename DGPulldown.exe back to its original name when you are finished with your encode.

Cheers
manolito

P.S.
If you rather stick with the speedup routine, but you would like to add audio pitch correction (so audio will play faster, but at its original pitch), you can do this by using the AviSynth TimeStretch command. Let me know if you are interested...
Old 20th July 2019, 10:40   #3216  |  Link
Mike-uk

Quote:
Alright, I found it...

When calculating the required bitrate to reach the specified size AVStoDVD takes into account if speedup or slowdown is specified. When PAL speedup is selected, but the script is later modified so there will be no speedup, then the bitrate will be off by about 4%.

To get the correct bitrate you need to do the following:
1. In Explorer go to the AVStoDVD\DGPullown folder and temporarily rename DGPulldown.exe to something else.
2. Fire up AVDStoDVD, under Preferences->AviSynth uncheck PAL Speedup.
3. Load your source, under View/Edit Title Settings->AviSynth edit the AVS script by inserting my script after the resize command.

Don't forget to rename DGPulldown.exe back to its original name when you are finished with your encode.

Cheers
manolito

P.S.
If you rather stick with the speedup routine, but you would like to add audio pitch correction (so audio will play faster, but at its original pitch), you can do this by using the AviSynth TimeStretch command. Let me know if you are interested...
Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 16:44   #3217  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
If you rather stick with the speedup routine, but you would like to add audio pitch correction (so audio will play faster, but at its original pitch), you can do this by using the AviSynth TimeStretch command.
You did not ask for this, but I figured that it would be good to have all the possible NTSC to PAL conversion options explained in one place. So here comes how to use PAL speedup with pitch correction...

AviSynth has an internal TimeStretch function which lets you alter the pitch or the tempo of an audio stream. We will use the "tempo" parameter here.

In AVStoDVD you need to select "PAL speedup" under "Preferences", under "View/Edit Title Settings->AviSynth" the script must be edited like this: The line
Quote:
AssumeFPS("pal_film", sync_audio=true).ResampleAudio(48000)
must be edited so it will become
Quote:
AssumeFPS("pal_film").ResampleAudio(48000)
TimeStretch(tempo = 25.0/(24000.0/1001.0)*100.0)
(Instead of "ResampleAudio(48000)" there could be "SSRC(48000)" present in this line. Just leave it as it is...)

Some important notes about the different TimeStretch versions:
Classic AviSynth 2.60 comes with a rather outdated version of the TimeStretch plugin which does not support audio streams with more than two channels. There are several ways to deal with this:

1. Keep AVS 2.60, but download and install the external TimeStretch plugin by Wilbert. You can find it here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...72#post1722472
Extract TimeStretch.dll into your AviSynth\Plugins folder. To make the external plugin coexist with the internal function, it must be called with "timestretchplugin()" instead of "timestretch()". Make sure your VC++ redistributables are installed. Get the latest versions here:
https://github.com/abbodi1406/vcredist/releases

2. Upgrade to AviSynth 2.61 Alpha. Don't worry about the "Alpha" label, it is stable. Download the stripped-down version here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/gvkxp1
No installation required, just extract the files into the corresponding folders overwriting the existing files.

3. If you are adventurous you can upgrade to the latest AVS+. The current AVStoDVD version supports it. Only use the latest release from here:
https://github.com/AviSynth/AviSynthPlus/releases
Note: The installer defaults to installing both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions. AVStoDVD can only use the 32-bit version, so you could probably uncheck the option to install the 64-bit version (unless you have other software which can use the 64-bit version).

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 20th February 2020 at 00:39.
Old 22nd July 2019, 18:31   #3218  |  Link
Mike-uk

Thanks again Manolito
Old 30th July 2019, 18:25   #3219  |  Link
Mike-uk

hmm why is mediainfo reporting a file is only 6 seconds long when its actualy 2 hours ??, so avstodvd wont work
Old 30th July 2019, 20:05   #3220  |  Link
manolito

Obviously this should not happen, but sometimes it still does...

It could be MediaInfo itself, or your source file is problematic. You can try updating MediaInfo to the latest working version 18.5. The DLL is here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/m4myu1
Just extract the DLL into your "AVStoDVD\Lib" folder.

Otherwise try to remux your source, maybe using a different container. If your source is a transport stream (extension TS, MTS, M2TS) then it is always a good idea to remux it into an MKV container (use MKVToolNix). The reason is that transport streams do not contain time stamps, but MKV streams do.

Good luck...