Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th June 2016, 22:36   #1  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Superior field-matching filter needed

I was dissecting some Transformers episodes today and noticed a tiny flaw in Uncomb: it occasionally spat out interlaced frames in places where there were no orphaned fields and therefore no reasonable excuse for why this would happen except crappy code. I dusted off the documentation for telecide, only to be reminded of why I stopped using telecide so many years ago. So now I'm looking for a field-matching filter that's more accurate than Uncomb, but doesn't have 500 tons of bloat and garbage attached to it like Decomb does. Another way of putting it would be that I'm looking for something that works just like Uncomb but without the annoying habit of generating obviously incorrect frames for no reason. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 10th June 2016 at 22:57.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 23:02   #2  |  Link
hello_hello

Until someone's able to suggest a more configurable field matcher that needs no configuring, why not post a sample of the problem video? Just to eliminate user error.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 23:53   #3  |  Link
johnmeyer

Any reason you are using Uncomb? I can't find any version that is newer than twelve years old. By contrast, IVTC has been updated dozens of times. I would recommend using TFM()/TDecimate().
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 23:54   #4  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Today, I shall humor Hello because it has been at least 4 hours since I've gotten into an argument with someone who couldn't understand basic English, and thus I am in a good mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
post a sample of the problem video
In these two images, the combing shows up in the lines that make up the grids:

In this one, Ravage is interlaced:

Obvious interlacing is obvious:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
Any reason you are using Uncomb?
It's fast, there's nothing to configure, and it doesn't try to do anything other than match fields.

Quote:
I would recommend using TFM()/TDecimate().
I'll use TFM if I have to, but the documentation does a very poor job of explaining what all the different modes actually do, and I don't like the default post-processing setting.

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 10th June 2016 at 23:59.
Old 11th June 2016, 00:00   #5  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
It's fast, there's nothing to configure, and it doesn't try to do anything other than match fields.
And, apparently, it doesn't work.

Try TFM() and TDecimate() (they are part of IVTC).

I echo Hello's excellent point that I think he was making, namely that if you want to get good results, you will have to feed the plugin some settings. Every video is different, and that is exactly why most plugins have all sorts of settings. There are virtually no plugins of any type (that I know of) that work every time on all video, without doing some tweaking.

[edit]You changed your post. I replied to the wording you had in your original post, before it was changed (see quote above from your original wording).

Last edited by johnmeyer; 11th June 2016 at 00:01. Reason: OP changed his post
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 00:20   #6  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:

I'll use TFM if I have to, but the documentation does a very poor job of explaining what all the different modes actually do, and I don't like the default post-processing setting.
Then adjust it (You can adjust the coming detection threshold for example) or disable it ( TFM(pp=0) will disable it )
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 00:28   #7  |  Link
Katie Boundary

I've spent the past several minutes trying to track down a copy of TFM (which I used to have before the hard drive that it was on died). Unfortunately, it looks like the missouri.edu server is down. Does anyone have a backup or mirror?

Quote:
And, apparently, it doesn't work.
Oh, it does... it just works very badly with this particular content.

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 11th June 2016 at 00:31.
Old 11th June 2016, 00:33   #8  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
I've spent the past several minutes trying to track down a copy of TFM (which I used to have before the hard drive that it was on died). Unfortunately, it looks like the missouri.edu server is down. Does anyone have a backup or mirror?
TIVTCv105
http://www114.zippyshare.com/v/gdI0VTZl/file.html
Old 11th June 2016, 00:40   #9  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Thanks! Now I have to download and install 7zip because some people are apparently too elite to use normal zip files like the rest of us peasants...

EDIT: Yes, the default mode and pp=0 yield precisely the results that I was hoping for. This will serve my needs very well. Thank you, John Meyer and Poison Death Ray!

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 11th June 2016 at 00:52.
Old 11th June 2016, 00:44   #10  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Thanks! Now I have to download and install 7zip because some people are apparently too elite to use normal zip files like the rest of us peasants...
ok fine pollute the internet

TIVTCv105.zip
http://www88.zippyshare.com/v/Ua3mYJtI/file.html

447KB vs. 277KB. It's a significant difference
Old 11th June 2016, 00:47   #11  |  Link
hello_hello

Edit: I just realised. I must be off the ignore list. Oh the sheer joy of it......

Quote:
Today, I shall humor Hello because it has been at least 4 hours since I've gotten into an argument with someone who couldn't understand basic English, and thus I am in a good mood.
I'm in a good mood too, which is why I'll only point out you can't humour someone unless you're smarter than they are, although I realise you mightn't understand, given you're not able to distinguish between a sample and a screenshot.
Screenshots don't prove a lack of user error.

Quote:
Do you prefer the combing? Maybe you should leave it as it is?
I'm sure there's a highly configurable field matcher that doesn't require configuration out there. Hopefully someone will know......

Last edited by hello_hello; 11th June 2016 at 01:27.
Old 11th June 2016, 00:54   #12  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
In these two images, the combing shows up in the lines that make up the grids
It looks more like a single field has been resized. Strange things happen to DVD content. It might be nothing to do with Uncomb. It could also be user error. It's hard to tell without a sample.

Quote:
In this one, Ravage is interlaced
Combing under the credits. Mmmmmm..... mightn't be Uncomb's fault. It's impossible to tell without a sample.

Quote:
Obvious interlacing is obvious:
It's obvious when the credits are over top of the video too. It mightn't mean anything, but screenshots don't tell the story. A sample would be nice. Wouldn't it be funny if it wasn't pulldown but it's interlaced? And you try another IVTC method that de-interlaces? And you like it?

Have you noticed every screenshot you posted shows combing under credits, which appear to have no combing, but it's impossible to even tell if they're moving, due to the continued confusion between a screenshot and a sample.

Last edited by hello_hello; 12th June 2016 at 06:12. Reason: spelling
Old 12th June 2016, 06:33   #13  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Sometimes I wonder why Hello even bothers posting in the threads that I start, knowing that he/she is on my ignore list.
Old 12th June 2016, 06:58   #14  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder why Hello even bothers posting in the threads that I start, knowing that he/she is on my ignore list.
Because I think you're a liar and you do read my posts, given you reply to them when it suits you, then go back to pretending you're not reading them when it doesn't. Even when you're pretending to ignore them you still can't help responding to me, which is a bit of a give-away.
It's not just about you though. It's more about ensuring nobody stumbles upon your threads and assumes they should be taken seriously.

Last edited by hello_hello; 12th June 2016 at 07:06.
Old 12th June 2016, 13:18   #15  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
First of all, how would you know?

Secondly, whether you read his posts or not, he is doing others a service by pointing your numerous errors. You may never listen, but others will.