Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th January 2020, 07:25   #1  |  Link
mr_lou

Burn blu-ray ISO on a DVD?

This is probably extremely niche, and most likely not possible, but I gotta ask.

The short version:
Is there any way I can burn a blu-ray ISO onto a DVD in a way that the DVD identifies itself as a blu-ray media, and thus will play in most blu-ray players?

The longer version:
Playing around with Blu-ray Disc Java homebrew gamedev (www.blu-play.com), we produce blu-ray ISO files that are rather small. Could easily fit on a DVD.
Lots of people are interested in this kind of homebrew, because you can run the same disc on up to 5 game consoles. But very few people owns a blu-ray burner.
So naturally it would be ideal if these blu-ray ISO's could just be burned to a DVD.

And they can.

Xbox One plays blu-ray content from a DVD just fine. So that's great. The same goes for a hand full of Samsung blu-ray players. But the majority of players, including the PlayStation 3 and 4, doesn't.

Then someone started talking about "booktype" for DVD's. In the old days when players refused to play DVD-R and DVD+R, burner apps simply offered options to change booktype to DVD-ROM, thus fixing the compatibility issues.

So the question is: Are the any similar tricks we can use today to trick players into handling a DVD as a blu-ray disc? Some field that can (theoretically) be changed in the same way as booktype, without resulting in the player utilizing the blue laser?

To clarify what most people seem to misunderstand:
  • I'm not talking about playing blu-ray in a DVD player. I'm talking about playing blu-ray content from a DVD in a blu-ray player.
  • Obviously I'm not expecting a DVD to be read by the blue laser. Red laser reads the disc of course, but should interpret it as a blu-ray. (No need to point out the obvious like speed limits of the red laser etc. There'll never be any content on a Blu-Play title with such high bitrates).
mr_lou is offline   Reply With Quote