Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 27th May 2008, 22:33   #21  |  Link
consultant

Boy I'm sure glad I don't run Vista. Learning what all the complaints are about working with my friends computer. I believe the problem could be fixed simply by installing an older version of WMP on Vista. However, I just found out, that's impossible as it is now a fixed part of the operating system that cannot be rolled back! You can only roll it back in XP!

So now I see why the big need to un Virtual PC on Vista.
consultant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 23:33   #22  |  Link
sonicbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleoooo View Post
By the why i am paying for songs on zune software, i got the 1month pass.
This is in violation of forum rules, appleoooo. "Fair use" is not to steal subscription content. Discussions should only be about purchased & non-rented material. You are NOT paying for the right to own the music with a 1 month pass.

Note that Microsoft/Zune sells unprotected 320Kbps MP3 content, when allowed, making DRM a non-issue.

Last edited by sonicbox; 27th May 2008 at 23:36.
sonicbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 03:17   #23  |  Link
wetlegs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by consultant View Post
Boy I'm sure glad I don't run Vista. Learning what all the complaints are about working with my friends computer. I believe the problem could be fixed simply by installing an older version of WMP on Vista. However, I just found out, that's impossible as it is now a fixed part of the operating system that cannot be rolled back! You can only roll it back in XP!

So now I see why the big need to un Virtual PC on Vista.
In the same way you can't 'roll back' past WMP8 in XP you mean? Not that it's relevant at all with this discussion, but don't rag on Vista.

If you really want to, it's perfectly possible to install an older version of WMP in Vista. It takes some effort but can be done.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that patience is a virtue and a solution will be created soon.
wetlegs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 16:32   #24  |  Link
consultant

So in summary, MS to cause confusion and havoc released a new IBX under an older version number because all info on the net says this older version number works. Hopefully all the websites publishing information on setting up fairuse4wm will update with this new info soon as to save many others from the frustration of trying to make it work when they think they have the correct IBX.

The new IBX appears to only be installed if you are running WMP 11.

In Vista, Microsoft widely made WMP 11 part of the operating system so you cannot uninstall it and downgrade it. I'm sure they did this specifically to strengthen DRM. I imagine it has been a major embarassment to them that there DRM has been defeated fairly easily and those companies paying lots of money are pissed of that programs like fairuse4wm are floating around.

If you run XP, just downgrade to WMP10, delete your DRM directory and re-individualize. (I'm not 100% sure that will work, if not, downgrade to WMP 9).

If you run Vista, currently, once again, the only way to use unDRM software is to install Virtual PC 2007 (ignore messages that it doesn't support your OS if you are running Vista Home). Install Win XP and run SP2 update which puts you at WMP 9 (I though it would at least take you to 10 but I think 10 should be fine too.) Then you can use fairuse4wm and other similar programs running XP in Virtual PC. DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR WMP after that.

Downside is, at least on my notebook, I can't use it to play streaming audio from the subscription networks as the sound is crackly. But then I only use Virtual PC to run fairusew4wm.

Lastly, if someone updates fairuse4wm to work with the new IBX, then the Virtual PC route will no longer be needed for Vista users on WMP 11.

I think (hope) I got it all right.
Old 29th May 2008, 17:25   #25  |  Link
rernst

Quote:
Originally Posted by consultant View Post
So in summary, MS to cause confusion and havoc released a new IBX under an older version number because all info on the net says this older version number works. Hopefully all the websites publishing information on setting up fairuse4wm will update with this new info soon as to save many others from the frustration of trying to make it work when they think they have the correct IBX.

The new IBX appears to only be installed if you are running WMP 11.

In Vista, Microsoft widely made WMP 11 part of the operating system so you cannot uninstall it and downgrade it. I'm sure they did this specifically to strengthen DRM. I imagine it has been a major embarassment to them that there DRM has been defeated fairly easily and those companies paying lots of money are pissed of that programs like fairuse4wm are floating around.

If you run XP, just downgrade to WMP10, delete your DRM directory and re-individualize. (I'm not 100% sure that will work, if not, downgrade to WMP 9).

If you run Vista, currently, once again, the only way to use unDRM software is to install Virtual PC 2007 (ignore messages that it doesn't support your OS if you are running Vista Home). Install Win XP and run SP2 update which puts you at WMP 9 (I though it would at least take you to 10 but I think 10 should be fine too.) Then you can use fairuse4wm and other similar programs running XP in Virtual PC. DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR WMP after that.

Downside is, at least on my notebook, I can't use it to play streaming audio from the subscription networks as the sound is crackly. But then I only use Virtual PC to run fairusew4wm.

Lastly, if someone updates fairuse4wm to work with the new IBX, then the Virtual PC route will no longer be needed for Vista users on WMP 11.

I think (hope) I got it all right.
Can't downgrade in most cases as pretty much everyone requires WMP 11 at this point.
rernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 18:19   #26  |  Link
stesmi

Actually most don't but more and more are starting to require it.
stesmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 19:27   #27  |  Link
TheCole

Amazon suggestion not helpful

I hope that there will be a technical discussion. Even if Amazon were to host the content I want (they don't), I wouldn't trust them with my personal data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stesmi View Post
Isn't this supposed to be a technical discussion and not a philosophical one? What you just wrote have been written countless times by countless people and it didn't help back then (either).
TheCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 07:46   #28  |  Link
gbglass2000

Will installing windows xp service pack 3 cause a downgrade?

Well if anyone tried sp3 please write how well drmdbg and freeme2/drm2wmv works with it.
gbglass2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 05:49   #29  |  Link
Ajax_Undone
I dont care so should you

The "coders" are far to busy coding useful software and many aren't going to put them selves at the mercy of the DCMA Gods By analyzing data streams to undrm songs that will in the end give them no benefit but a big lawsuit and time in jail/prison.

The answer is simple your songs are stuck. Anybody serious about Music will not buy from Apple or WMP stores because of DRM... Lot of the times hard knocks and bruised knees are the only lessons that we learn...

I deleted almost $200 USD of music purchased off of WMP store Napster, because I found that once I had unDRMed the songs they were still crippled by 128 kbps-vbr and were not MP3's or Wave and my new Ipod could do nothing to play them with out re encoding them to mp3 /acc and causing more loss...
I know how most of you feel but if you buy the CD you have the music pre archived on that disk... Rip it and put in a case and save it...

Since then I stopped carring about DRM on WM and Itunes... Just buy the CD's. Right now have a great collection of every song I ever wanted...

P.S. Walmart Edits there CD's in Utah so I wouldnt buy from them...

Last edited by Ajax_Undone; 24th June 2008 at 05:52.
Ajax_Undone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 06:31   #30  |  Link
consultant

WMP 11 Somehow got on My Machine?

Running Yahoo Music Jukebox with Y! Unlimited Service. Yesterday I think all the sudden I got a message in the Jukebox that I couldn't play a song cause I didn't have the rights. Closed and reopened the player and it worked fine.

Went to undrm some mp3's I accidentally deleted a while back and Fairuse4WM failed. (I'm running XP). It worked a couple days ago. So I delete DRM folder and re-individualize. All the sudden I have the dreaded new spoofed IBX version!

So I go to run WMP to make sure I'm still running V10, It's "Welcome to WMP 11" !!! I don't EVER automatically install updates and always review the Windows updates. How the heck to V11 of WMP get on my machine! Time to roll back. Hopefully Yahoo isn't forcing use of WMP 11?

Did Microsoft hide a WMP update under a "Security Update" ?
Old 26th June 2008, 06:43   #31  |  Link
consultant

Rolled back to WMP 10. Delete DRM File. Re-individualized. Re-acquired license for some songs. Can't recover keys. The dreaded IBX 11.xxxx.6324 even with WMP 10 on XP. Am I forgetting something or am I just the first one to discover us XP people are now screwed? Do I need to go back to WMP 9.

I noticed on the individualization process it says it needs to Upgrade Some Security Components. Is that another way of saying let us modify your machine to accept the new .6324 IBX?
Old 26th June 2008, 07:29   #32  |  Link
Ajax_Undone

Sorry Mate there isn't anything that anybody can do or is willing to do... XP Vista don't matter they are the same basic OS with the same basic software...

Quote:
I noticed on the individualization process it says it needs to Upgrade Some Security Components. Is that another way of saying let us modify your machine to accept the new .6324 IBX?
No that to verify to the music store that the songs you have belong to the music store from which they were purchased...
Old 1st July 2008, 09:26   #33  |  Link
Ajax_Undone

If none of you have browsed the News section Rhapsody has gone to MP3 as well...
Old 5th July 2008, 09:49   #34  |  Link
Ajax_Undone

Dude don't cross post *Rule 8*
Old 5th July 2008, 14:20   #35  |  Link
heyholetsgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_Undone View Post
The "coders" are far to busy coding useful software and many aren't going to put them selves at the mercy of the DCMA Gods By analyzing data streams to undrm songs that will in the end give them no benefit but a big lawsuit and time in jail/prison.
Well, I think coders who are able to crack DRM know how to protect themselves. Just use an open Wlan or a hotspot to post you "hack" and the chances they catch you tend to 0....

So I think it is actually sad that nobody is trying to give the industry what they deserve.
If somebody would do that, his/her Nickname is going to be known all over the world.
That's imo enough motivation, don't you think?
heyholetsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 17:08   #36  |  Link
Ajax_Undone

I am sure that works out great considering that most people here in the US have the NSA Creeping down there cracks... Not every bit is secure there are always leaks... Thats like being so ignorant to think that SSL web browser encryption really works to keep people out... The point being it is a waste of time most of us and them have moved on for the fallowing reasons

1. The sound quality sucks...
2. The algorithm never changes it just gets further obfuscated... Wheres the fun in that...
3. For the most part I believe people use the software to rip off subscription material rather then for fair use...
4. Its funner to hack if its not already broken into...
5. And like I've said its stupid to mess with whats broken when new cost the same amount...
6. Open wlans and other rarely allow file upload or download unless its from an unsuspecting neighbor or your own.

Now if you feel that releasing a program in that way is safe feel free. Just know its not going to be my code...

Cheers

Last edited by Ajax_Undone; 5th July 2008 at 17:15.
Ajax_Undone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 14:20   #37  |  Link
endgame

Apparently many content providers now don't allow you to click Play (it remains greyed out) unless it is the latest version of WMP.

So can someone please confirm for me that there is no decoding software out there, for this latest version of DRM? (other than copying it while it plays)
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 05:31   #38  |  Link
Ajax_Undone

The project created was FU4WM the problem is that there isn't enough people who care to reverse engineer that program and fix the timings and count...

Now there is a way to grab the file while its in memory playing, like hymn project did for Itunes... The problem is that if your going to go that far you might as well just search for the encryption keys...

If anyone can get hold of viodentia and get hands on the original source he's the only one who has studied up on this enough be able to brake it...

The audio CD and audio DVD's are not a bad place to look either...
Old 5th August 2008, 04:37   #39  |  Link
wadster21

Has there been any update to this issue yet?

I've tried all the different methods such as the "downgrading to WMP 10", "installing virtual pc", etc, without any luck. I am able to get an older IBX version, but everything goes downhill as soon as I install the Zune software to download the licenses for my protected files. It automatically changes it back to the "new" 11.0.6000.6324. I'm under the impression that I have to install Zune to get the licenses, since when I use fairuse4wm without it, it says that I do not have the license for the protected file.

Is there something I am missing? Do I just have to wait until an updated fairuse4wm is made that can defeat the "new" 11.0.6000.6324? Thanks.
wadster21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, ibx