Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 13th November 2010, 18:30   #1  |  Link
Alexander Dijkgraaf

Encoding Set It an Forget it H.264 Introducing TranscodeService

TranscodeService is script based conversion of AVI or MOV files to AVC MPEG4 AAC MP4 file.

For: Mac OX X apple; Free software only sollution

Mainconcept

The script works in the background and watches the folder Movies. When it finds an AVI or a MOV file it will probe it to get the frame size. For example 1920 x 1080 (FullHD). According to the frame size it uses the right datarate for the encoding to H.264 video. When the conversion is successful it will rename the source file like this:

movie.mov

becomes...

[1920x1080]_movie.mov

The name of the output MP4 file will be:

Movie_[1920x1080].mp4

The script skips files with "[" in it name. It assumes that the file has been converted earlier. In addition it will make an link to the converted file in an folder named upload. Files in a folder with RAW in its name is skipped.

What are the benefits?

The whole idea of =TranscodeService= is the concept of:

'Set it and Forget it'.

It can be daunting to manage video sources often it takes a while for a file to convert. It is no fun to sit and wait, and manage the conversions. In practice this script works in the background. Just leave your computer running, and in a while you will have a high quality MPEG4 file with a small footprint of all your MOV and AVI. Ready to be used in your favorite application like iTunes or for streaming on the web.

Why did I write this script?

I maintain a video community site. But I don't have the resources to get a dedicated server. To limit the CPU usage of this server, i upload an AVC MPEG4 file with AAC, which will play smoothly in flashplayers. Instead of the server transcoding, I make it copying the video streams. So files do not convert, and I stay in my CPU allocation.

The script free downloand and community is at:

http://transcodeservice.1cinema.org/
Alexander Dijkgraaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, free, h264, mp4 encoding solution