Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 4th March 2011, 17:53   #421  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Web Video Rivalry Sparks U.S. Probe
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 18:37   #422  |  Link
rernst

There are literally billions of dollars at stake. They will pull out all the plugs to combat VP8.

"All video codecs are covered by patents".

What is much more an issue here are software patents altogether. Remember when 'Multimedia' was patented?

It's ridiculous and really U.S. centric. Every piece of software is based on another piece of software. To even go there and state anything based on DCT is patented is nonsense.

I hope they will make this a landmark lawsuit that will severely curtail software patents altogether.
rernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 17:52   #423  |  Link
dapperdan

libvpx v0.9.6 (Bali) released

New version out today.

blog post announcement:

http://blog.webmproject.org/2011/03/...-released.html

codec-devel mailing list announcement post:

https://groups.google.com/a/webmproj...f95a8567f1693#

edit: they also had the first proper release of the WebP image format last month:

https://groups.google.com/a/webmproj...784f36680f740#

Last edited by dapperdan; 8th March 2011 at 17:55.
dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 04:03   #424  |  Link
iwod

Anyone going to run some test on new build?
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 10:03   #425  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Anyone going to try to make a vpxenc.exe with AviSynth support?

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 01:26   #426  |  Link
dragsidious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rernst View Post
There are literally billions of dollars at stake. They will pull out all the plugs to combat VP8.
They will certainly try.

Quote:
It's ridiculous
Yes.

Quote:
and really U.S. centric.
No.

If you live in some places in Africa or Asia this may be true. But most places not only have binding treaties with the USA on patents, their governments are working directly with the USA to get even stronger ones that are more easily enforced internationally.

Quote:
Every piece of software is based on another piece of software. To even go there and state anything based on DCT is patented is nonsense.
To violate a patent requires neither a existing product, existing software, or copying. You can come up with a idea 100% on your own, turn it into a product, and then get sued by a lawyer who never programmed a single line of code in his life and has no products that he sells. He just has to control a patent and you lose.

Quote:
I hope they will make this a landmark lawsuit that will severely curtail software patents altogether.
Don't hold your breath. The current administration is very pro-'intellectual property'. They think that they can use patents to curtail the activities of companies that are competitive with established USA firms.

Which is one of the major things that patents are used for... to stop the small guy from competing. That is why Microsoft, IBM, et al. support patents even though they are the ones that get sued the most. They just past the cost onto their customers and do not have to worry about smaller upstarts competing against them.

Hopefully the Vp8 will succeed and turn video into just another common format. Just a common and easy to use as jpeg, png, gifs, mp3s, and whatever else. That way we can progress and work on more impressive things.
dragsidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 21:06   #427  |  Link
Astrophizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsidious View Post
Just a common and easy to use as jpeg, png, gifs, mp3s, and whatever else.
.gifs had licensing issues and .mp3 playback still has to be licensed (why Firefox and Opera don't support it). The .mp3s you see online are in a flash wrapper just like most of the h.264 content.
Astrophizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 16:33   #428  |  Link
IgorC

It looks like psychovisual optimizations are next thing for VP8.

http://blog.webmproject.org/
Quote:
In the next release, we plan to further improve the compression rate at the low bitrate range, as well as focus on new features such as two-pass encoding and visual optimization using segmentation maps.

Also new version of Vorbis Aotuv was realesed with improved audio quality.
http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/
IgorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 18:07   #429  |  Link
GoWebM

“Blueberry” VP8 Hardware Encoder IP Released

"Blueberry," the second release of the H1 VP8 hardware encoder.

Quote:
Technical Details of the Blueberry Release:

We reached the aforementioned +0.82 dB PSNR gains by adding the following features to the encoder:

Improved encoding decisions and added more coding options at macroblock level

Enabled multiple motion vectors per macroblock (Split MV mode)

Added preference of “nearest”, “near” and “zero” type macroblocks that are less expensive to code than others

Added support for up to two reference frames in motion search (immediately previous and Golden frame)

Added deblocking filter macroblock mode adaptivity support

Added ¼ pixel precision motion estimation at 1080p resolution (previously supported only up to 720p)

Increased the amount of token probability tracking counters (enables more efficient entropy coding)

In addition, we added support for a programmable segment map, which enables psychovisual quality optimizations and defining region-of-interests. This means we can for example code the foreground objects (i.e. people) with a better quality (smaller quantizer) than the static background. We also added new hooks to the hardware that allows us to improve the quality of the encoder by later firmware upgrades that optmize our cost function algorithms - even after the chip has been manufactured.
GoWebM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 18:27   #430  |  Link
IgorC

Why is PSNR still the main metrics?
It is well know that it has bad correlation with real visual quality.
Almost no improvement for SSIM.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:30   #431  |  Link
GoWebM

More WebM Tools

Any Video Converter Version 3.23 (released on May 11, 2011 ), add WebM as supported input and output video format.

Then:

* Non-commercial WebM Tools (Windows): Miro Video Converter, XMedia Recode, Firefogg, MediaCoder.

* Commercial WebM Tools (No cloud soft.): Bigasoft Total Video Converter, Any Video Converter.

Do you know of others?

Sorry my english
Old 12th May 2011, 18:31   #432  |  Link
nurbs

This is also interesting.
Quote:
In addition, we added support for a programmable segment map, which enables psychovisual quality optimizations and defining region-of-interests. This means we can for example code the foreground objects (i.e. people) with a better quality (smaller quantizer) than the static background.
From that description they do exactly the opposite of what adaptive quantization in x264 and other encoders does. I hope that's just a result of dumbing it down for the general audience and not something they actually want to do.
nurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 18:52   #433  |  Link
IgorC

Yes, looks like a future VP8 segmentation + bitrate distribution is totally opposite to x264´s mbtree. Although mbtree does good job there are other approachs.
It is a possibility that more optimal way will be smart algorithm in the middle of both.

About optimality of mbtree

Last edited by IgorC; 12th May 2011 at 18:54.
Old 14th May 2011, 21:37   #434  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWebM View Post
Any Video Converter Version 3.23 (released on May 11, 2011 ), add WebM as supported input and output video format.
only 1 pass mode
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 18:57   #435  |  Link
GoWebM

Happy Birthday, WebM!!!

First Anniversary.

Old 19th May 2011, 19:22   #436  |  Link
CruNcher

Yeah though i find it bad news that Microsoft bought Skype
Skype always drove the VPx for low latency Videoconferencing and im not sure if Microsoft will continue that (actually it would be pretty strange if they would) on the other side with websockets nowadays skypes videoconferencing doesn't matter that much anymore.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 19th May 2011 at 19:31.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 19:55   #437  |  Link
mariush

They'll probably just bundle Silverlight with Skype in the next version, arguing they can auto switch to various bitrate streams on the fly with it or some other crap....
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 20:02   #438  |  Link
CruNcher

@mariush
you shouldn't underestimate with what the guys from Beijing might come up with , they worked exactly on this with their Titanium Codec http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/yanlu/

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 19th May 2011 at 20:14.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 21:22   #439  |  Link
mariush

I'm not saying multi-bitrate vc1 is bad.. it could be very good. What irks me is that pretty much all technologies end up getting shoved down people's throats, whether they want it or not.

Just today I got a message saying important update available - the only thing was Microsoft Malicious Software whatever it's called.... People have short memory but when Microsoft bought Gecad's IP (rav antivirus) antivirus software makers complained that they'll get out of business and Microsoft said the software will be optional to download from website so it's not a problem. Well, soon it turned to optional software components and now for a long time it's important software update and always checked even if I don't have it installed now.

Now a new thing there in the optional updates is Microsoft Live Essentials... how much time do I have until they'll push it to "important updates" and always checked...
Silverlight is also always checked each week in the optional updates and I have to uncheck it manually just to get the popup stop nagging me.

It's damn annoying and frustrating and makes me lose trust in MS's products so much I don't even care to try these nice technologies they may make.

Imho the technology behind video in skype will change 100% because they have the vc1/h264 hardware decoding in Xbox360 and they'll want to integrate Xbox360 with Skype... and for pc, what better way to implement it than silverlight, which they can just load as a plugin in an embedded html page or something like that. Microsoft is also having patents and is part of the h264/vc1 licensing group so they don't really care that much about royalties...
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 22:56   #440  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Microsoft pays VC-1 and H.264 royalties just like everyone else. In fact, it pays more than most since it ships quite a few decoders (i.e. Windows, Xbox, Zune, Silverlight, etc.).
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vp8, webm