Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 23rd April 2009, 06:39   #1  |  Link
QUEENFAN

Recommendation for profile/setting DVD->mkv(x264) ?

Good morning,

could you please give me your recommendations for a profile/setting for encoding DVD-video to mkv(h264) without loosing quality and on the other side high encoding speed.

Thanks a lot for your help/links.

QUEENFAN
QUEENFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:09   #2  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
could you please give me your recommendations for a profile/setting for encoding DVD-video to mkv(h264) without loosing quality and on the other side high encoding speed.
High quality and high encoding speed?!?! Are you joking? Holy Gral DOES NOT EXIST ! High quality = low encoding speed , Low quality = High speed.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:12   #3  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
High quality and high encoding speed?!?! Are you joking? Holy Gral DOES NOT EXIST ! High quality = low encoding speed , Low quality = High speed.
Sure it does, you just have to use enough bitrate
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:23   #4  |  Link
Patrick Bateman

You're going to need to be a lot more specific. By 'without loosing quality,' do you mean lossless or just transparent? What is high encoding speed to you? What processor do you have?

I'd say use MeGui and test between Sharktooth's profiles and determine for yourself your middleground for speed, compression, and quality.

You're going to have to trade off somewhere between the three.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:34   #5  |  Link
QUEENFAN

Thanks for your replies so far.

With losless I mean just preserving the quality a DVD-video can have (not trying to get better quality than the source) but as x264-video. Resulting file size should be smaller than the source (at least).

Maybe for MPEG2 (DVD) xvid/avi would be more suitable?

I have a DC Xeon 3GHz.

QUEENFAN
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:37   #6  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
not trying to get better quality than the source
That would be another holy gral! Remember something. There is no way to achive better quality than source!
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:02   #7  |  Link
QUEENFAN

Quote:
That would be another holy gral! Remember something. There is no way to achive better quality than source!
You're right.

Is x264 the right encoder for DVD's (SD-video) at all or should I use xvid which is much faster and use x264 for HD-video?
My aim isn't to get as small files as possible but fast and good encodes.

QUEENFAN
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:11   #8  |  Link
multimediaman
MPlayer addict

If there is no standalone player issue then encode with x264.

I have found clearly noticeable diffrences x264 vs xvid around 2700 kbps for SD content in terms of blockiness and details.

Use crf mode aroud 20.
multimediaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:13   #9  |  Link
Chengbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimediaman View Post
If there is no standalone player issue then encode with x264.

I have found clearly noticeable diffrences x264 vs xvid around 2700 kbps for SD content in terms of blockiness and details.

Use crf mode aroud 20.
I somehow doubt that.

Unless you got an eye of an eagle, I seriously doubt you can tell. For 720p or 1080p I would believe it, but for SD, 2700Kbps is more than enough bitrate to reach transparency.
Chengbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:40   #10  |  Link
multimediaman
MPlayer addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengbin View Post
I somehow doubt that.

Unless you got an eye of an eagle, I seriously doubt you can tell. For 720p or 1080p I would believe it, but for SD, 2700Kbps is more than enough bitrate to reach transparency.
Well, the source material contained lots of scenes full of water, snowing etc (Batman Returns). So it is not quite fair to generalize I guess

Still I prefer in trems of quality crf=20 for x264 more than fixed_quant=2 for xvid . I just don't know why because qp=18 is roughly fixed_quant=2
multimediaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:18   #11  |  Link
Sagekilla
x264aholic

For XviD/DivX vs x264, I would say it's very much possible to see the difference between the two @ 2700 kbps. With no prefiltering with sane "max" compression settings, x264 would pull a little over 2.3 - 2.5 mbps for transparency for me. So yes, 2.7 mbps should easily be transparency, for x264. For ASP, I tend to get transparency at higher bitrates.

I can post some images later of various videos encoded at same bitrate, highest compression possible XviD vs x264. But the XviD -will- need more bitrate to get it's transparency.
Old 24th April 2009, 06:11   #12  |  Link
QUEENFAN

Does transparency in this context mean, that source and destination have nearly no differences regarding quality.

@multimediaman

Being a beginner in x264-encoding: where do I have to set crf mode around 20?

I use StaxRip at the moment but have no problem to try ripbot as well which seems to be a very good GUI too.

And yes, I have eagle-eyes wearing my glases ;-))

QUEENFAN
Old 24th April 2009, 06:45   #13  |  Link
Betsy25

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENFAN View Post
Being a beginner in x264-encoding: where do I have to set crf mode around 20?

I use StaxRip at the moment but have no problem to try ripbot as well which seems to be a very good GUI too.
Codec Configuration -> Change "Mode" to Quality -> value for "Average Quantizer" is your crf value.
Betsy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 07:05   #14  |  Link
QUEENFAN

@Betsy25

Thanks for the quick reply.

Which predefined profile/template should I use?

QUEENFAN
Old 29th April 2009, 05:51   #15  |  Link
QUEENFAN

@Atak_Snajpera

I just tried RipBot yesterday, very nice GUI.

Is there any possibility for automatically integrating chapters from the source into a mkv encode?

EDIT: I just noticed, that mkv's encoded with RipBot have chapters (by default?) ;-)) GREAT.

QUEENFAN

Last edited by QUEENFAN; 29th April 2009 at 08:02.
Old 29th April 2009, 08:13   #16  |  Link
movmasty

Quote:
how about filtering? deblocking e.g.
movmasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 12:04   #17  |  Link
popper

OC DVD->mkv(x264) or even BR->mkv(x264) is only one aspect, you NEED to consider where and how your intending to play that resulting x264 file.

for instance many people use Xbox360s and a copy of TVersity today as their cheap, easy to connect to your new TV's, and available everywere...,far more so than your average PS3 used for streaming and video playback today, However, the 360 can only play AVC/H.264/x264 H@L4.1 UPTO 10Mbit/s smoothly, and more so, Only usable for 2 channels AAC sterio, due to MS's choices to restrict the firmwares codecs to these settings, and no sign of them updating them to take better advantage of the CPU's capabilitys...or play more channels.

theres the other slight problem to OC, in that 360 cant play MKV containers, but you can take a few minutes and process your MKV files through something like "AVIDemux" on any platform, and stick it in a generic MP4 container ,plus convert any non AAC 2 channel audio to AAC sterio at the same time OC without to much problem or time, you cant do the same quick Fix for your x264 over speced non 360 compatable Encodes OC. and thats the key point most people here and elsewere forget,or dont even take into consideration, do you need or want better than 360 playback settings, and are you sure your never going to want to stream your DVD/BR x264 Encoded MKv (avidemux processed) content to them!

just something to consider longterm anyway.

Last edited by popper; 29th April 2009 at 12:49.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 21:38   #18  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

I used TVersity for about a year, then PS3mediaServer finally gained support for the 360.

Doesnt require any network tweaks, uses mencoder (and any mencoder filters!) by default, is capable of using avisynth.

I dont mind the limitations much though, it does natively playback most of my older xvid content.
RunningSkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 14:09   #19  |  Link
QUEENFAN

@Chengbin

What would the exact settings be for a transparent encode (PAL-DVD-Source) in x264 for RipBot?

Thanks a lot.

QUEENFAN