Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 20th May 2013, 16:57   #41  |  Link
mzso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Now, I'm going try to figure out how to pass --input-range PC to ffmpeg.
But apparently I can't. Tried using "-x264opts " but it didn't work.
Didn't find anything else, besides -color_range in the ffmpeg help.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 17:55   #42  |  Link
mzso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jq963152 View Post
No, AFAIK both is lossless, but not 100% sure.

AFAIK the only difference is:

"Force lossless RGB capture (may be slower)" disabled = YCbCr 4:2:0

and:

"Force lossless RGB capture (may be slower)" enabled = RGB (which is 4:4:4)

So, yeah, YCbCr 4:2:0 is not really "lossless", because you loose chroma resolution (4:2:0 vs. 4:4:4). But you are very likely to loose that anyway when you are encoding with x264.

You can encode in YCbCr 4:4:4 and RGB with x264 to keep the chroma resolution, see:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=165415

But the resulting video probably (and unfortunately) will not play back on anything else than PC software.
Well I prefer actual lossless and no subsampling. Since I don't use anything else for playback than a computer the last is a non issue for me. Only if I knew how to get ffmpeg/libx264 to keep the range untouched...
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:07   #43  |  Link
mzso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jq963152 View Post
Then you explicitly have to tell x264 to encode without subsampling.

x264 defaults to --output-csp i420 (4:2:0 chroma subsampling).

So, if you want to encode without subsampling then you need to use either --output-csp i444 or --output-csp rgb, otherwise it will encode with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling AFAIK.

See:

http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X2...ngs#output-csp
ffmpeg doesn't accept "-x264opts output-csp=rgb" or "-x264opts output-csp=i444" it seems. Not sure about the syntax, so far it seemed this syntax is right because it accepted "-x264opts fullrange=on", only it produced the same result.

I get: "Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height"
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:28   #44  |  Link
poisondeathray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,015
If you want to encode i444 with ffmpeg , use -pix_fmt yuv444p . I don't think libx264 in ffmpeg can use RGB24 or BGR24 (RGB fraps is detected by current ffmpeg builds as bgr24)

BUT the problems you're going to have is the RGB=>YUV conversion will use Rec601 (it will not be subsampled chroma, but colors will be off because of wrong matrix - should be 709)

ffmpeg does have a colormatrix filter, but the quality is noticably lower than doing it in avisynth
-vf colormatrix=bt601:bt709

(In avisynth you can use ConvertToYV24(matrix="Rec709")

Another option might be to do the colorspace conversions in vapoursynth pipe to ffmpeg
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:48   #45  |  Link
osgZach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by jq963152 View Post
With the "Force lossless RGB capture (may be slower)" checkbox enabled, HandBrake messes up the colors. But with that checkbox disabled (YV12), HandBrake is quite perfect at converting FRAPS YV12 to x264.

I really would like to know why HandBrake is so good at converting FRAPS YV12.

I still don't know how to convert FRAPS YV12 with AviSynth as good as HandBrake does.
Because when you convert from RGB to YV12 you lose color information. If you record in YV12, most tools won't need to convert because its already YV12. If you judge a YV12 video file produced by fraps, compared to a YV12 H264 you naturally would not see much of a difference, except in the case of the Color Matrix changing for w/e reason.

So, if Handbrake isn't changing the color levels (PC<->TV etc) then that is why it works so well for you.

Its why I loathe Youtube and other streaming services that do not support 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 Color sampling.

When I do game captures I compare the actual game on-screen (PNG/BMP screenshots, etc) to the video file produced during capturing. YV12 always looks horrible to me. Something somewhere, even with tweaking always ends up looking either washed out or oversaturated - i.e it probably takes more effort than I am willing to learn how to precisely convert colors from RGB - > YV12.

So I just gave up on capturing game footage.
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:51   #46  |  Link
mzso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
If you want to encode i444 with ffmpeg , use -pix_fmt yuv444p . I don't think libx264 in ffmpeg can use RGB24 or BGR24 (RGB fraps is detected by current ffmpeg builds as bgr24)

BUT the problems you're going to have is the RGB=>YUV conversion will use Rec601 (it will not be subsampled chroma, but colors will be off because of wrong matrix - should be 709)

ffmpeg does have a colormatrix filter, but the quality is noticably lower than doing it in avisynth
-vf colormatrix=bt601:bt709

(In avisynth you can use ConvertToYV24(matrix="Rec709")

Another option might be to do the colorspace conversions in vapoursynth pipe to ffmpeg
Well, it still doesn't seem to be right... When I change to PC levels it's still light.

Here's the exact command line:
Code:
ffmpeg -i "infile1.avi|infile2.avi" -pixel_format rgb24 -acodec copy -scodec copy -vcodec libx264 -g 30 -pix_fmt yuv444p -vf colormatrix=bt601:bt709 -preset slower -crf 20 -x264opts fullrange=on "teszt.mkv"
Here's the output (interrupted after a few seconds): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byfd...it?usp=sharing
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:56   #47  |  Link
osgZach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 677
Looks fine to me? Plenty of dark and shadowy in that.

Is your monitor calibrated?
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 20:00   #48  |  Link
poisondeathray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,015
Can you post a few frames of the fraps source file (vdub, video => direct stream copy ) or I suppose you can cut it with ffmpeg -vcodec copy -an with -ss (start time) and -t (duration)

There are major, major quality issues with ffmpeg's colormatrix filter - it looks like doesn't work in full chroma resolution. Even when working with YV12 (4:2:0) material , quality is noticably lower than avisynth's colormatrix (I don't know why, it was ported from avisynth)

Last edited by poisondeathray; 20th May 2013 at 20:09.
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 20:10   #49  |  Link
osgZach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 677
To further that. Why not try running it through x264 instead of ffmpeg. I didn't want to say anything earlier, as I assumed it was just preference. But if there are quality issues with ffmpeg in this situation, then yeah try another encoder.
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 20:20   #50  |  Link
mzso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Can you post a few frames of the fraps source file (vdub, video => direct stream copy ) or I suppose you can cut it with ffmpeg -vcodec copy -an with -ss (start time) and -t (duration)

There are major, major quality issues with ffmpeg's colormatrix filter - it looks like doesn't work in full chroma resolution. Even when working with YV12 (4:2:0) material , quality is noticably lower than avisynth's colormatrix (I don't know why, it was ported from avisynth)
Here's 1 sec. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byfd...it?usp=sharing

It's still 33MB...
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 20:25   #51  |  Link
mzso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by osgZach View Post
To further that. Why not try running it through x264 instead of ffmpeg. I didn't want to say anything earlier, as I assumed it was just preference. But if there are quality issues with ffmpeg in this situation, then yeah try another encoder.
Well, I'm unfamiliar with that one, but it can't convert full AV files, can it?

EDIT:
Well, it seems be working for the 1 sec sample with this CL:
Code:
x264 --preset slow --crf 20 --output-csp rgb --keyint 30 -o out.mkv in.mkv

Last edited by mzso; 20th May 2013 at 20:42.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 21:23   #52  |  Link
mzso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 894
New problem.
The image turns blue quite often.
"Brown" wooden door:
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 21:45   #53  |  Link
mzso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 894
Had to downgrade to an older build of x264. It seems like the never ones can't decode fps1 properly just like the never builds of ffmpeg...
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 22:53   #54  |  Link
mzso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 894
It seems like I get some blue stuff anyways. I give up.

mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 06:57   #55  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Had to downgrade to an older build of x264. It seems like the never ones can't decode fps1 properly just like the never builds of ffmpeg...
What do you mean when you say they can't decode fps1 properly?
__________________
Specs, GTX970 - PLS 1440p@96Hz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manao View Post
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 11:13   #56  |  Link
mzso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
What do you mean when you say they can't decode fps1 properly?
Whole bunch of errors while decoding. Huge gaps in the encoded file. Didn't bother to investigate the errors, since I knew ffmpeg enough to just try older builds.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 15:31   #57  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Whole bunch of errors while decoding. Huge gaps in the encoded file. Didn't bother to investigate the errors, since I knew ffmpeg enough to just try older builds.
If you mean that the decoded fraps stream is not constant frame rate, completely destroying motion when encoding it afterwards, then yes, I'm afraid you're screwed. Some time ago I had a discussion with the ffmpeg developer that changed this but he didn't listen when I said that by doing what he did he'd make the decoder useless for anything else than playing the original Fraps file in a player.

I even made a patch to correct it but he didn't accept it. LAV Filters included it until a big ffmpeg update some time ago, but nev hasn't included it since. I use it with my own builds thou. I can give you both the patch and a LAV Filters build, so you can compile an updated ffmpeg or LAV with a working (and multithreaded) fraps decoder.
__________________
Specs, GTX970 - PLS 1440p@96Hz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manao View Post
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:10   #58  |  Link
mzso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
If you mean that the decoded fraps stream is not constant frame rate, completely destroying motion when encoding it afterwards, then yes, I'm afraid you're screwed. Some time ago I had a discussion with the ffmpeg developer that changed this but he didn't listen when I said that by doing what he did he'd make the decoder useless for anything else than playing the original Fraps file in a player.

I even made a patch to correct it but he didn't accept it. LAV Filters included it until a big ffmpeg update some time ago, but nev hasn't included it since. I use it with my own builds thou. I can give you both the patch and a LAV Filters build, so you can compile an updated ffmpeg or LAV with a working (and multithreaded) fraps decoder.
Interesting, I didn't hear new removing a fix before. Anyway. I don't do patching and compiling, and ffmpeg failed at transcoding fullrange too.

Did you experience anything like the blueishness (the second one)?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 13:35   #59  |  Link
Snowknight26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Did you experience anything like the blueishness (the second one)?
http://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/75

Though I submitted that bug to ffmpeg over 2 years ago, it seems as if it was only just fixed recently.

Last edited by Snowknight26; 22nd May 2013 at 13:39.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 13:57   #60  |  Link
mzso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
http://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/75

Though I submitted that bug to ffmpeg over 2 years ago, it seems as if it was only just fixed recently.
That's "awesome". They fixed that meanwhile rendered the decoder useless, with the other thing. -_-

Edit:
Ouch, that's very recent. (17 hours ago) I was thinking of trying to find a build where both's fixed.

Last edited by mzso; 22nd May 2013 at 14:14.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.