Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st August 2004, 05:01   #1  |  Link
dragongodz

QuEnc 0.54 released

this is the official QuEnc 0.54 release.

its released under the GPL so if you dont like that... dont use it.

changes 0.52 -
.some more tweaking to settings.
.added pass text on main window.
.notch matrix completely replaced by QLB(Quenc Lower Bitrate) matrix.
.the kvcd cli commands replaced with QLB ones.

changes 0.53 -
.properly replace notch matrix.
.minor tweaks.

changes 0.54 -
.aspect ratio should be working properly now
.bad parameter window tells you what the bad one was now
.version of exe changed to 0,0,5,4 so jdobbs can pick it in DVD-RB
.dll version is cvs 12th july as reccomended over 0.49pre1, found on ffmpeg homepage

.QLB commands changed to cmatrix and nocmatrix (custom matrix) in the -? but not actual command line yet.

0.54 is compatible with DVD-RB 0.57.

i do ask that if you do any modified releases please identify them as such and not up QuEncs number. meaning please dont change a few things and release QuEnc 0.55 etc. i got permission from Nic to bump the version and it would save a lot of confusion if others didnt do so without asking him aswell first.
also if you change the matrix please say it in your release. one of the reasons notch matrix was removed was because it has big problems with trellis being used. i have no interest in answering questions about problems caused by other peoples changes.

i put a text in with the source giving a quick guide on how to compile it. Nic has already warned before that neither he nor i will have the time to go in to detail on compiling it but that should get you well started.

neither Nic or i will be working on this for awhile since avcodec really needs the rate control fixed for it to work 100% properly and we do have other things we want to do.

downloads found at
http://www.pcpages.com/dragongodz2/

mirrors are of course welcome.

Last edited by dragongodz; 31st August 2004 at 01:23.
dragongodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2004, 11:13   #2  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

here's another download link: http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Encoders/MPEG2/QuEnc052.zip
Old 1st August 2004, 16:05   #3  |  Link
glänzend

Re: QuEnc 0.52 released

Quote:
notch matrix completely replaced by QLB(Quenc Lower Bitrate) matrix.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but after looking at a small encoded clip we just made with your new version of QuEnc, we confirm that the resulting file was created with the KVCD notch matrix tables. This was also re confirmed by looking at YOUR source code.

The following code segment shows clearly the KVCD notch matrix tables:

Code:
  // dragongodz - brand new custom lower bitrate matrix especially for 
QuEnc  :)
   if ( bUseQLB )
   {
      CString csQLBIntra = CString("8 9 12 22 26 27 29 34 ")
                           +("9 10 14 26 27 29 34 37 ")
                           +("12 14 18 27 29 34 37 38 ")
                           +("22 26 27 31 36 37 38 40 ")
                           +("26 27 29 36 39 38 40 48 ")
                           +("27 29 34 37 38 40 48 58 ")
                           +("29 34 37 38 40 48 58 69 ")
                           +("34 37 38 40 48 58 69 79 ");

CString csQLBNonIntra=CString("16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30 ")
                             +("18 20 22 24 26 28 30 32 ")
                            +("20 22 24 26 28 30 32 34 ")
                            +("22 24 26 30 32 32 34 36 ")
                            +("24 26 28 32 34 34 36 38 ")
                            +("26 28 30 32 34 36 38 40 ")
                            +("28 30 32 34 36 38 42 42 ")
                            +("30 32 34 36 38 40 42 44 ");

pIntraMatrix = (unsigned short*) av_malloc(1000);
      pNonIntraMatrix = (unsigned short*) av_malloc(1000);

parse_matrix_coeffs(pIntraMatrix, csQLBIntra);
      parse_matrix_coeffs(pNonIntraMatrix, csQLBNonIntra);

c->intra_matrix = pIntraMatrix;
      c->inter_matrix = pNonIntraMatrix;
   }
Please either give the proper credit due, (there is no problem with that? is there? ) or just remove it and create your own.
ciao
glänzend
glänzend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2004, 22:24   #4  |  Link
audioslave

Yep, glänzend, you're right. The so called QLB Matrix IS the KVCD Notch Matrix.

glänzend wrote:
Please either give the proper credit due, (there is no problem with that? is there? ) or just remove it and create your own.

I totally agree!

Other than that... Thanks for another great release of QuEnc!

Last edited by audioslave; 2nd August 2004 at 00:19.
audioslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2004, 01:17   #5  |  Link
dragongodz

jeez and why dont you guys try giving some credit in return ?

it was an honest mistake when i was cleaning it all up for a clean release. that is i went back over the 0.51 files and made the changes and the matrix accidently didnt get replaced.

i have no interest in taking credit or "stealing" the notch matrix. the fact the source code is there for anyone to check and the fact i have remedied the problem as soon as i have found out(its morning here, couldnt do it in my sleep ) should be the proof anyone needs.
Old 3rd August 2004, 07:06   #6  |  Link
Paced

Thanks for the new release + hard work dragongodz / Nic, I'm sure it's appreciated by many.
Paced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2004, 07:51   #7  |  Link
dragongodz

thanks Paced. its nice to get a thank you every now and then.

Nics working on mpegdecoder.dll(in avisynth forum) and i am working on some other things. so this is the last version for awhile.
Old 12th August 2004, 06:27   #8  |  Link
dragongodz

a quick note about first frames and aspect ratio.

using MediaPlayerClassic's internal mpeg2 decoding aspect ratio is show correct. first frames with high quant(produced by 1 pass and not 2 pass) can show some blocks.
using intervideos mpeg2 decoding through MPC however the aspect ratio was not shown(did 1:1 no matter what aspect the video was) but no blocks for those first frames were obvious either.
using Windvd to play the files had aspect ratio shown correctly and showed no obvious blocks.

fun with pcs.
Old 12th August 2004, 13:50   #9  |  Link
vmesquita

About the "keeps increasing the memory usage till there's no memory left yet" thing we were discussing at the FreeEnc thread.
I tried with no filters (just resizing) and still the same result:
Code:
Avisource("movie.avi",false)
bicubicresize(704,480)
It's really funny how it behaves differently in different machines... Same thing with FreeEnc.

My Tools:
DIKO
FreeEnc: AVS->MPEG2 Encoder
Get them here: http://www.vmesquita.com
vmesquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 14:53   #10  |  Link
dragongodz

hmm ok could you try the same using directshowsource() and see if that does it aswell ?

actually i do know there is 1 problem with using avisource() and QuEnc, no 2 pass encoding. first pass works but second pass gives an error(no yv12 data being sent or such).

hmm i did also turn on the mem align hack for that dll compile so its possible that could have an effect. it shouldnt really as its actually meant to be good for windows.
Old 12th August 2004, 15:22   #11  |  Link
vmesquita

Hi dragongodz,

I tried with DirectShowSource and a very interesting thing happened. I use ffdshow, and it puts that small icon on the taskbar. Well, many icons started popping up, like if QuEnc were opening the scripts in many instances. And of course the memory usage increased, and increased...
I have a Windows2000 VMWare virtual machine that I set up with only the basic stuff to test FreeEnc crashes, I'll give it a try and let you know.

EDIT:
It worked fine in my w2000 virtual machine. It must be something wrong here.
Also it's good to know you used the hack, I am confident that will fix the crashes in FreeEnc.

My Tools:
DIKO

Last edited by vmesquita; 12th August 2004 at 15:27.
Old 12th August 2004, 16:58   #12  |  Link
dragongodz

wow that is strange. QuEnc only opens the avs once but maybe they are popping up with each get of a new frame. that sounds more like an avisynth or ffdshow problem and since its ffdshow that keeps reappearing i suspect thats the problem. maybe trying a different version would fix that or changing some of its settings. actually from memory it does have a setting to allow only 1 instance of ffdshow in the codecs settings(thats ffdshows codecs settings and not windows).

as for the mem align hack well i wouldnt count on that fixing the problem with FreeEnc and P4's since Nic didnt use it and from what you said his 0.51 dll works with FreeEnc. worth a try though.
Old 12th August 2004, 19:48   #13  |  Link
vmesquita

Quote:
Originally posted by dragongodz
wow that is strange. QuEnc only opens the avs once but maybe they are popping up with each get of a new frame. that sounds more like an avisynth or ffdshow problem and since its ffdshow that keeps reappearing i suspect thats the problem.

Dont forget that the same problem happens with AVISource, so it's not related to FFDShow. But it maybe avisynth. (I am using 2.54) Looks like something is being loaded again and again in every frame. I still could not test in my machine at work to report back.

Quote:
maybe trying a different version would fix that or changing some of its settings. actually from memory it does have a setting to allow only 1 instance of ffdshow in the codecs settings(thats ffdshows codecs settings and not windows).]
I'll look for it.

Quote:
as for the mem align hack well i wouldnt count on that fixing the problem with FreeEnc and P4's since Nic didnt use it and from what you said his 0.51 dll works with FreeEnc. worth a try though.
Yes but:
1) QuEnc avcodec parameters are different from FreeEnc default parameters. Maybe some parameters trigger the problem.
2) QuEnc was done in VC++, while FreeEnc was done in MinGW+WxWindows. It shouldn't make difference since the code that crashes is inside the DLL, but...

So far, Peter1234 (one of the happy P4 owners that reported the problem) has had no crashes. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

My Tools:
DIKO
Old 13th August 2004, 06:25   #14  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
same problem happens with AVISource, so it's not related to FFDShow
depends if ffdshow is still the decoder. ok the taskbar icon may not show up but that doesnt completly rule it out as being used. when you change the "only allow 1 instance" in ffdshows settings can you try both ways again ?

as for the mem align hack, well all i was saying is that you have an example of a dll that doesnt use it that works(Nics). so if it then does work with it in your compile then it is probably because of something the ffmpeg guys have changed since Nics compile. the only way to know though is to test that since as you point out QuEnc and FreeEnc are not done the same.
Old 13th August 2004, 19:18   #15  |  Link
lamster

QuEnc 0.53 doesn't work with Rebuilder 0.56, since QuEnc dropped support for the -kvcd option, and Rebuilder always passes either "-kvcd" or "-nokvcd". Either of these options results in a pop-up saying "Bad Parameter!"

A couple of suggestions, for whenever this gets updated again:

First, if you're going to complain about a bad parameter, it would be nice if the pop-up specified which one was bad.

Second, if you're dropping a parameter, it might be nice to place it on a separate list, and if the options "-auto -close" are also present, just display a warning and otherwise ignore it, so that people invoking QuEnc via a front-end program won't be left dead in the water.

Thanks.
lamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2004, 04:22   #16  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
QuEnc 0.53 doesn't work with Rebuilder 0.56
yes and jdobbs has already said that will be fixed with the next version of DVD-Rebuilder.

Quote:
whenever this gets updated again
wont be for awhile as both Nic and i have other things we are doing. your suggestions are noted though.
Old 15th August 2004, 23:02   #17  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

I would also like to thank you for working on this software.
Trahald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2004, 19:18   #18  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

QuEnc v0.53 AR Problem

I've been testing QuEnc v0.53 on a 4:3 source that I captured at 560x420 resolution and am trying to convert it via AviSynth and QuEnc to a 1/2 D1 DVD Compliant MPEG-2 Video. I'm also trying to keep it intact as interlaced for it's pure NTSC 29.97fps and has no FILM content whatsoever.

The quality is fine, but the AR is off. If I choose 4:3 as the output Aspect Ratio QuEnc randomly will spill out either 1:1 Square AR, or 16:9 AR. Why I have no idea. I did not have this issue w/ QuEnc v0.51. Any ideas?

Here's the script I'm using for the video:

LoadPlugin("C:\Video Apps\AviSynth v2.5.4\Plugins\SubtitleEx.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Video Apps\AviSynth v2.5.4\Plugins\PeachSmoother.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Video Apps\AviSynth v2.5.4\Plugins\UnDot.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Video Apps\AviSynth v2.5.4\Plugins\UnFilter.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Video Apps\AviSynth v2.5.4\Plugins\SimpleResize.dll")

Clip_01 = Trim(AVISource("C:\Windows\Desktop\noname76.avi"),388,824).FadeIn(25).FadeOut(12)
Clip_02 = Trim(AVISource("C:\Windows\Desktop\noname77.avi"),0,3536).FadeIn(25).FadeOut(12)
Clip_03 = Trim(AVISource("C:\Windows\Desktop\noname78.avi"),0,5745).FadeIn(25).FadeOut(45)
Blank_1 = BlankClip(Clip_01,length=60,color=$000000)
AlignedSplice(Blank_1,Clip_01,Blank_1,Clip_02,Blank_1,Clip_03,Blank_1)

DelayAudio(-0.2)
SSRC(48000)

AssumeTFF()
SeparateFields()
PeachSmoother(NoiseReduction=52,Stability=25,Spatial=60)
UnDot()
UnFilter(15,15)
Weave()
InterlacedResize(352,480)
ConvertToYV12(Interlaced=True)
EpheMeroN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2004, 03:53   #19  |  Link
jdobbs

Re: QuEnc v0.53 AR Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by EpheMeroN
The quality is fine, but the AR is off. If I choose 4:3 as the output Aspect Ratio QuEnc randomly will spill out either 1:1 Square AR, or 16:9 AR. Why I have no idea. I did not have this issue w/ QuEnc v0.51. Any ideas?
I'm having the same problem. My 4:3 sources are coming out 16:9. It seems to have started recently, as I believe 0.51 was working.
Old 18th August 2004, 16:07   #20  |  Link
p200002

Quote:
Originally posted by dragongodz
yes and jdobbs has already said that will be fixed with the next version of DVD-Rebuilder.

wont be for awhile as both Nic and i have other things we are doing. your suggestions are noted though.
Which one will you suggest to downgrade? dvd-rb to .55 or QuEnc to .52?
p200002 is offline   Reply With Quote