Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th August 2011, 11:08   #1  |  Link
kamineko

Recommended MPC-HC setup for Hi10P on 64-bit Win 7? madVR?

Since Hi10P is obviously here to stay, I would like to know what the recommended setup for machines with Windows 7 64-bit would be.

In the past, I used always the latest MPC-HC 64-bit build with CoreAVC and Haali to ensure that I could play ordered chapters and that the performance is OK even on older machines with borderline specs.

After looking around for a solution, I was surprised to learn that 32-bit MPC-HC has a better performance and for example madshi is not even releasing a 64-bit version of madVR.

So, is the best solution installing 32-bit MPC-HC/madVR/Haali like recommended here by nand-chan?

And if that's the case, what's the recommended use for the 64-bit version of MPC-HC? Testing only?
kamineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 11:25   #2  |  Link
ForceX

64-bit version of MPC-HC is rather pointless for general usage, as it'll consume more RAM than 32 bit without any significant benefit. Your best bet for playing Hi10P content right now is indeed MPC-HC 32 bit with Haali splitter and madVR.
ForceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 11:47   #3  |  Link
Virtual_ManPL
Virtual_ManPL

IMO:

Use 64bit when you don't need madVR, because it lacks DxVA & 64bit support.
Use then 64bit versions of MPC-HC, Xvid (if you want to have a postprocessing), LAV Filters (Splitter, Audio, Video [for Hi10p support, for others use internal MPC-HC decoder with DxVA support])
If you have nVidia card you can also try LAV CUVID Decoder, but it not works with Hi10p, so use LAV Video decoder for this instead.

For 32bit just use MPC-HC, madVR, Xvid (if you want to have a postprocessing), LAV Filters (Splitter, Audio [Video isn't needed because madVR contains the same "pack"])
Virtual_ManPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 12:59   #4  |  Link
kamineko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceX View Post
64-bit version of MPC-HC is rather pointless for general usage, as it'll consume more RAM than 32 bit without any significant benefit. Your best bet for playing Hi10P content right now is indeed MPC-HC 32 bit with Haali splitter and madVR.
Thanks for clearing that up. I always assumed that a 64-bit system has advantages (if only in speed) running 64-bit software, but it looks like staying 32-bit is optimum.
Old 6th August 2011, 13:08   #5  |  Link
kamineko

little confused by that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual_ManPL View Post
IMO:

Use 64bit when you don't need madVR, because it lacks DxVA & 64bit support.
Use then 64bit versions of MPC-HC, Xvid (if you want to have a postprocessing), LAV Filters (Splitter, Audio, Video [for Hi10p support, for others use internal MPC-HC decoder with DxVA support])
If you have nVidia card you can also try LAV CUVID Decoder, but it not works with Hi10p, so use LAV Video decoder for this instead.

For 32bit just use MPC-HC, madVR, Xvid (if you want to have a postprocessing), LAV Filters (Splitter, Audio [Video isn't needed because madVR contains the same "pack"])
Why would you use 64bit versions when they have no benefit, but a disadvantage (not being able play Hi10P / run madVR)?

Basically, I look for a setup which gives the broadest range of files which play without problems on a HTPC setup.

If 32bit software can run all files which can be played by 64bit software and more (Hi10P), there is no need to install 64bit.

Only if there are disadvantages of 32bit (like 64bit yielding more performance or stability), 64bit would make sense. Is that the case?

The setup should be something which runs everything I throw at it and still is sufficiently simple so non-tech savvy members of my family can use it.
Old 6th August 2011, 13:27   #6  |  Link
ForceX

It is not that you can't play Hi10P with 64 bit MPC-HC, you can. Just use the 64 bit version of LAV Video decoder. The problem is that, only madVR supports input of 10 bit planar colorspace, and all other renderers have to be fed dithered down 8 bit data, which results in lower performance and quality. 64 bit programs are only beneficial for works which involve huge amounts of data (like DB/EMS etc.) and require lots of memory. Media players don't generally benefit from that.
ForceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 15:42   #7  |  Link
clsid

You don't need a renderer that supports 10-bit input to enjoy the benefits of Hi10P. It will give better quality and compression even when dithering down to 8-bit in the end.

Even when using madVR, it will in most cases get dithered down to 8-bit since most hardware/drivers do not support 10-bit.
Old 6th August 2011, 16:12   #8  |  Link
Virtual_ManPL
Virtual_ManPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamineko View Post
Why would you use 64bit versions when they have no benefit, but a disadvantage (not being able play Hi10P / run madVR)?
64bit versions can play Hi10p.
madVR didn't support 64bit and also DxVA, so for HTPC missing DxVA can be a big pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamineko View Post
If 64bit software can run all files which can be played by 32bit software and more (Hi10P), there is no need to install 32bit.
This can also be modified like this

Try different setups and use what you like.
I forgotten about 32bit builds for now.
Virtual_ManPL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
64-bit, hi10p, mpc-hc, setup