Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 11th January 2010, 23:10   #1361  |  Link
stax76

@sneaker_ger

The latest StaxRip test built makes mkv demuxing easy, you would choose:

Tools > Advanced > Demuxing > Demux a mkv file using mkvextract

It will show a file browser where you choose a mkv file and it will show a folder browser where you choose a target directory, it'll demux all streams in the mkv file to the target directory. If you are interested you can find the test built here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...09#post1362809
Old 11th January 2010, 23:23   #1362  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Thank you, but it only shows "Command prompt" for me under "Advanced". (And I'd like to use the CLI anyways...)
Old 11th January 2010, 23:33   #1363  |  Link
stax76

Do you have version 1141? If so then I forgot to reset the main menu, you can do this in three different ways, do you know one of them? I can't help with the command shell unless somebody built a console app with my code, 100 lines simple VB.NET code, should take less an hour to port.

Last edited by stax76; 11th January 2010 at 23:36.
Old 11th January 2010, 23:37   #1364  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I'll answer in the StaxRip thread to keep it on topic.
Old 12th January 2010, 03:45   #1365  |  Link
Snowknight26

Any chance of optimizing network muxing? Remuxing an from and to an mkv over a gigabit network takes ~2 minutes where as when running the same job locally took 9 seconds for ~2.5GB of total throughput.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:28   #1366  |  Link
millerci

Cropping Mkv.

With head editor i choose Video Track 1/Video Crop top and enter the value. 140 pixel for black bars. Video Crop bottom 140 pixel too. Save it. Then i returned to mkvmergegui and opened the movie inside the input section. Make the mux. Nothing happens. So after a long search and many tries i gave up.

Tried another solution for Crop the mkv. again in mkvtoolnix.

With Muxing -> Add command line options i entered this code --cropping <TID:left,top,right,bottom>. But i don't know any further operation. Which area i will give the cropping value? How do i write it? (Example 140 pixel fro top,140 pixel for bottom crop) Then How do i add this operation to Add to Job Queue? Or what is the right solution for this?

I want to crop my mkv movie without remux without encode again. Please somebody help me or show me a link how i can do it right.
:/
Old 20th January 2010, 14:39   #1367  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I see. The reason I'm asking is that I actually couldn't find any complete documentation on how to use it. This one explains the basic usage
Just a note: the current documentation for all mkv* command line tools is always available at http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/docs.html but I didn't include mkvpropedit's man page. Thanks for pointing this out (even indirectly ). I've added it now: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...vpropedit.html

Quote:
but I have no idea how the flags etc. are named so I end up being unable to set them.
That's what mkvpropedit's --list-property-names option is for.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:40   #1368  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Any chance of optimizing network muxing? Remuxing an from and to an mkv over a gigabit network takes ~2 minutes where as when running the same job locally took 9 seconds for ~2.5GB of total throughput.
No, sorry.

Old 20th January 2010, 14:49   #1369  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerci View Post
With head editor i choose Video Track 1/Video Crop top and enter the value. 140 pixel for black bars. Video Crop bottom 140 pixel too. Save it. Then i returned to mkvmergegui and opened the movie inside the input section. Make the mux. Nothing happens. So after a long search and many tries i gave up.
My guess is that you actually mean "playback of the muxed file has not changed at all, no cropping is in effect" when you write "Nothing happens". In that case this is most likely a problem or missing feature in the playback software (demuxer, splitter, player). Cropping parameters are not widely supported by players.

Note that mkvmerge ONLY sets header values for cropping -- it does not alter the video stream at all. It is not an encoding application.

Old 20th January 2010, 14:52   #1370  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvtoolnix 3.1.0 released

Hey,

I've released mkvtoolnix v3.1.0. This release contains contains the usual mix of bug fixes and smaller enhancements.

Notes for folks building from source:

1. Library dependency changes: Boost v1.34.0 or later is now required. Boost's filesystem library is required as well (for those distributions that split the Boost development packages).

2. The man pages & mmg's guide have been translated to other languages, and the file layout in /usr/share/mkvtoolnix has been changed accordingly. I suggest you take a look at what a normal 'configure && make && make install' does and adjust the build scripts afterwards.

Here are the usual links...

...to the home page:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

...to the source code:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-3.1.0.tar.bz2

...to the Windows installer and 7zip archive:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv....1.0-setup.exe
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...icode-3.1.0.7z

All binaries that I provide myself have already been uploaded.

Here's the full ChangeLog since release 3.1.0:

------------------------------------------------------------
2010-01-18 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Released v3.1.0.

2010-01-11 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: If the first input file was a Quicktime/MP4 file and all tracks from that file were deselected for muxing then mkvmerge would crash. Fix for bug 458.

2010-01-09 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: bug fix: The option 'AAC is SBR/HE-AAC' was not honored for appended AAC tracks. This could lead to mkvmerge aborting with an error that the track parameters did not match if it itself could not detect HE-AAC in the second file.

2010-01-06 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* documentation: Added a Chinese Simplified translation for mmg's guide by Dean Lee (see AUTHORS).

2010-01-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* documentation: Added a Japanese translation for the man pages by Katsuhiko Nishimra (see AUTHORS).

2010-01-03 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: bug fix: The output file name is checked for invalid characters before the muxing process is started. Fix for bug 455.
* mkvpropedit, mmg: bug fix: Files with an infinite segment size are handled correctly now. Fix for bug 438.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Matroska files which have its 'tracks' element located behind the clusters are read correctly now.
* mmg: enhancement: After muxing the "abort" button is changed to "open folder" which opens the explorer on the output file's folder. This only happens on Windows.

2010-01-02 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: enhancement: When constructing the output file name mmg will only suggest names that don't exist already by appending a number to the file name (e.g. resulting in "/path/file (1).mkv").

2009-12-30 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for reading chapters from MP4 files that are stored in tracks with subtype 'text'. Such files are used e.g. on iPods/iPhones and can be created by HandBrake. Fix for bug 454.

2009-12-29 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: bug fix: The "tags" input box on the "general track options" tab was not updated when a track was selected. Fix for bug 453.

2009-12-28 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge, mmg: new feature: If a MPEG-2 program stream file is added to mkvmerge whose base name ends in a number then mkvmerge will automatically read and process all other files in the same directory with the same base name, same extension and different numbers. Those files are treated as if they were a single big file. This applies e.g. to VOB files from DVD images that are named VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB etc. mmg will output an error message if the user tries to add or append one of the other files that mkvmerge will process automatically (e.g. if the user has added VTS_01_1.VOB already and tries to append VTS_01_2.VOB).

This also fixes bug 437.
* Build requirements changed: mkvtoolnix requires Boost v1.34.0 or later. It requires the Boost::Filesystem library (with all Boost versions) and the Boost::System libraries (starting with Boost v1.35.0).

2009-12-26 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: SRT files with negative timecodes will are not rejected anymore. Negative timecodes will be adjusted to start at 00:00:00.000.

2009-12-25 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvextract: new feature: Added support for extracting Blu-Ray subtitles (CodecID "S_HDMV/PGS").

2009-12-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge/mmg: enhancement: Added an option '--segment-uid' for specifying the segment UIDs to use instead of having to use a XML file and '--segmentinfo'.
* Installer: The installer will no longer offer to run mmg after it has been installed. On Windows setups where a normal user account doesn't have administrator privileges this caused mmg to be run as the user "Administrator" instead of the normal user account causing confusion and some things not to work, e.g. drag & drop.

2009-12-17 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Zero-length frames in Theora bitstreams as created by libtheora v1.1 and later were dropped. Fix for bug 450.

2009-12-15 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: bug fix: On Windows 2000/XP the 'add/append file' dialog was not showing files with certain extensions (e.g. ".srt" or ".mp4") if the option "all supported media files" was selected. Fix for bug 448.
------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun.

Old 20th January 2010, 15:00   #1371  |  Link
millerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
My guess is that you actually mean "playback of the muxed file has not changed at all, no cropping is in effect" when you write "Nothing happens". In that case this is most likely a problem or missing feature in the playback software (demuxer, splitter, player). Cropping parameters are not widely supported by players.

Note that mkvmerge ONLY sets header values for cropping -- it does not alter the video stream at all. It is not an encoding application.
You are right "no cropping is in effect".

hmm if i want a crop than i must do an encode. so how can i know the exact encode parameters that is used for the movie? If i knew it than i can put the right values so the movie won't lose its quality.

by the way mkvtoolnix is a great program. thank you for doing a great job like this. i just wish that a video tutorial includes tips for this good program will be most welcome.
Old 20th January 2010, 15:43   #1372  |  Link
stax76

I had also problems with the crop feature, I had a WMV that needed to be cropped, mkvmerge did not allow me to import wmv so I used Haali's DS muxer. The resulting mkv file played fine. Then I opened this file with mmg, entered the cropping, remuxed it. It would play jerky then and no matter what player I tried the crop didn't work. I ended up to reencode which didn't hurt much anyway.
Old 20th January 2010, 17:40   #1373  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Just a note: the current documentation for all mkv* command line tools is always available at http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/docs.html but I didn't include mkvpropedit's man page. Thanks for pointing this out (even indirectly ). I've added it now: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...vpropedit.html

That's what mkvpropedit's --list-property-names option is for.
Thank you. I tried it again and it worked this time. The reason why I couldn't get it to work was because I tried your example in the help file:
Quote:
The command line 'mkvpropedit source.mkv --edit track:a2 --set title=Comments' could be converted into the following option file:
It doesn't work because you cannot set "title" for a single track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
I had also problems with the crop feature, I had a WMV that needed to be cropped, mkvmerge did not allow me to import wmv so I used Haali's DS muxer. The resulting mkv file played fine. Then I opened this file with mmg, entered the cropping, remuxed it. It would play jerky then and no matter what player I tried the crop didn't work. I ended up to reencode which didn't hurt much anyway.
How about filing a bug report and uploading the sample? (Even if you ended up re-encoding)
Old 20th January 2010, 17:58   #1374  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Thank you. I tried it again and it worked this time. The reason why I couldn't get it to work was because I tried your example in the help file:
It doesn't work because you cannot set "title" for a single track.
Dang. That's what happens when I write documentation but don't actually test it Exchanging "title" with "name" is probably what I'll do.

Old 21st January 2010, 05:18   #1375  |  Link
MuLTiTaSK

Code:
2010-01-20  Moritz Bunkus  <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mmg: new feature: Added a control for mkvmerge's "--cropping"
	parameter.

* mmg: enhancement: Added the file extensions ".dtshd", ".dts-hd",
	".truehd" and ".true-hd" to mmg's"'add/append file" dialogs.

* mkvextract: bug fix: "mkvextract --version" was only writing an
	empty string. Fix for bug 463.
top notch support like always Mosu
Old 21st January 2010, 09:49   #1376  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuLTiTaSK View Post
Code:
2010-01-20  Moritz Bunkus  <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mmg: new feature: Added a control for mkvmerge's "--cropping"
	parameter.

* mmg: enhancement: Added the file extensions ".dtshd", ".dts-hd",
	".truehd" and ".true-hd" to mmg's"'add/append file" dialogs.

* mkvextract: bug fix: "mkvextract --version" was only writing an
	empty string. Fix for bug 463.
top notch support like always Mosu
Btw, there's also a pre-build including these fixes: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-208-setup.exe

Old 21st January 2010, 13:42   #1377  |  Link
Maccara

Quote:
Btw, there's also a pre-build including these fixes: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-208-setup.exe
This has the path problem again (happily overwrote the whole existing path settings, claiming it was "empty").

...I wonder why NSIS (or whoever's the installer was - didn't look ) can't get this right...
Old 21st January 2010, 14:04   #1378  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccara View Post
This has the path problem again (happily overwrote the whole existing path settings, claiming it was "empty").
? I don't quite understand what you mean. Care to elaborate?

Old 21st January 2010, 15:20   #1379  |  Link
Maccara

Quote:
? I don't quite understand what you mean. Care to elaborate?
This is an old bug you've fixed once already: https://www.bunkus.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=365

I know this is not your fault, but if you could check in case you updated NSIS and re-introduced this bug.
Old 21st January 2010, 17:28   #1380  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Oh THAT problem. You guessed right. I've re-built NSIS again with 32k string size. Here's an updated installer: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-209-setup.exe

Closed Thread