Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th June 2018, 03:15   #3421  |  Link
Perenista

Is there something that can be done for MPC-HC when reopening audio files to restart from where I was listening?

Example: I stopped at 1 hour and 10 minutes

When I open the audio file again it comes back to 0:00:00

This never happens with videos

I always have to adjust from where I was listening before

Usually podcasts I interrupted during work
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 12:22   #3422  |  Link
clsid

Options > Advanced > RememberPosForAudioFiles
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2018, 23:30   #3423  |  Link
ksio89

I have a question, not an issue, but a curiosity that has bugging me for ages: In the "Mixing" tab on LAV Audo Decoder, there's a box with three volume level sliders that are used when dowxming: Center Mix, Surround Mix Level and LFE Mix, whose default values are 1.00, 0.71 and 1.58 respectively. Just wondering, what's the reason behind these values? Do they have anything to with "surround channels matrix" or something like that? And if I use headphones with MPC-HC, are these the recommended values when a 7.1 or 5.1 track is being downmixing into stereo? Thanks in advance.
ksio89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 09:57   #3424  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksio89 View Post
In the "Mixing" tab on LAV Audo Decoder, there's a box with three volume level sliders that are used when dowxming: Center Mix, Surround Mix Level and LFE Mix, whose default values are 1.00, 0.71 and 1.58 respectively. Just wondering, what's the reason behind these values?
These are the standard values according to ITU-R BS.775. 0 dB for center, -3 dB (x0.71) for surrounds, and LFE +10 dB (minus 6 dB because it's mixed into two channels = +4 dB = x1.58).

Quote:
Do they have anything to with "surround channels matrix" or something like that?
No.

Quote:
And if I use headphones with MPC-HC, are these the recommended values when a 7.1 or 5.1 track is being downmixing into stereo?
Yes.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 12:01   #3425  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Center Mix, Surround Mix Level and LFE Mix, whose default values are 1.00, 0.71 and 1.58 respectively
Default valures are 0.71, 0.71 and 0.00.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 13:48   #3426  |  Link
clsid

Using 1.00 for Center can be good for those who which to enhance the volume of the voices relative to everything else. Certainly useful in case of headphones.

For LFE both 0.00 and 1.58 can be considered 'correct'. I prefer 0.00. The LFE channel sometimes contains 'junk' (non-low freq stuff) that can hurt quality if send to a normal speaker that doesn't filter that away. The regular channels already contain a bit of bass so you're not missing much.
Old 26th July 2018, 13:51   #3427  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Are MPC-HC internal LAV's defaults different from official LAV?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 14:11   #3428  |  Link
clsid

They might be. I haven't checked.
Old 26th July 2018, 17:51   #3429  |  Link
ksio89

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
These are the standard values according to ITU-R BS.775. 0 dB for center, -3 dB (x0.71) for surrounds, and LFE +10 dB (minus 6 dB because it's mixed into two channels = +4 dB = x1.58).

No.

Yes.
Thanks for the explanation, now I know the reason behind those numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Using 1.00 for Center can be good for those who which to enhance the volume of the voices relative to everything else. Certainly useful in case of headphones.

For LFE both 0.00 and 1.58 can be considered 'correct'. I prefer 0.00. The LFE channel sometimes contains 'junk' (non-low freq stuff) that can hurt quality if send to a normal speaker that doesn't filter that away. The regular channels already contain a bit of bass so you're not missing much.
Hmm, I'll compare the output mix with LFE set to 0.00 and 1.58, and see which one sounds better. By the way, don't know if I'm just mistaken, but I have the impression that some surround tracks downmixed actually sound better than the stereo track, specially on musical performances. It just sounds fuller and more pleasant, however it might be subjective.

Last edited by ksio89; 26th July 2018 at 18:00.
ksio89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 03:48   #3430  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, now I know the reason behind those numbers.

Hmm, I'll compare the output mix with LFE set to 0.00 and 1.58, and see which one sounds better. By the way, don't know if I'm just mistaken, but I have the impression that some surround tracks downmixed actually sound better than the stereo track, specially on musical performances. It just sounds fuller and more pleasant, however it might be subjective.
That's the art of mixing. You can punch up a bit of bass, and one dude will be bowled over by how amazing it is, and another dude will complain that it muddies the mid-range and muffles the voices. It definitely varies per-song and per-scene, too, and that's why audio techs get paid really big bucks in Hollywood to mix every moment of a movie individually.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2018, 16:04   #3431  |  Link
terrypin

MP4 files no longer play reliably
------------------------------
For the past few years I've always associated MP4 files with MPC-HC as my preferred player. But something seems to have changed recently and I'd appreciate help on fixing it please.

The symtomps vary from file to file. Sometimes when I d-click a video file associated with MPC-HC, or use Open With, the program opens but it does not play. (Even if I click the Play arrow it still does not start. If however I click the 'Stop' button and then the Play button, it starts playing.) And with some files it plays only the audio.

It's version 1.7.13 (e37826845) and I'm usin g Win 10.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 01:49   #3432  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Is the project dead?
73ChargerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 01:59   #3433  |  Link
Little_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
Is the project dead?
The 1.7.x branch is, I suppose.

Try here, instead:
MPC-HC 1.8.4
Little_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2019, 15:41   #3434  |  Link
[)370|\|470!2
dentist-experimenter

Just about two years ago I asked ITT whether there's any coding help required. Almost immediately was carried away by RL stuff though. Yet I'm a dedicated MPCHC user for years still and can't stand it just ending like this. I'm extremely lazy, hairy and busy, yet believe we may have this thing revived no matter what (given, of course, that a programmer is the only thing this project lacks).
Reach me @ x3merz---a---t---intensecircuit.com

Last edited by [)370|\|470!2; 13th September 2019 at 15:54.
[)370|\|470!2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2019, 15:56   #3435  |  Link
clsid

It is not dead. Go here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175209
Old 20th September 2019, 08:55   #3436  |  Link
[)370|\|470!2
dentist-experimenter

Cool! If you need any help with it just let me know.
Old 20th September 2019, 14:07   #3437  |  Link
clsid

There are plenty of bug reports and feature requests that you can work on. Pick something that interests you.

Bug trackers:
https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/issues
https://trac.mpc-hc.org/report/1
Old 22nd September 2019, 05:03   #3438  |  Link
HelmedHorror

EDIT: Running Altdrag and my Autohotkey script as administrator fixed these problems. I'm not sure why it fixed anything, seeing as how my UAC settings are set to the lowest option on the slider. Furthermore, I'm still unclear why my problems related to administrator privileges. Most importantly, I'm not sure why this would only be a problem with MPC-HC and no other program. I'd be curious to know why, if anyone happens to know.

I'm having a problem with MPC-HC's interaction with AutoHotkey as well as AltDrag. I believe this only started when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I have an AutoHotkey script that has rebound my Capslock key to increase my system's volume by 10%, as well as a script to change my Insert key to Windows' calculator. Neither of those work when MPC-HC is selected. Instead, what happens is that capslock becomes enabled as if the AHK script did not exist. While I don't use my calculator much when watching videos, you can imagine why I'd like to be able to change the system volume.

AltDrag, as well, does not work properly with my MPC-HC. A quick primer on what AltDrag is: AltDrag allows the user to press-and-hold a modifier button (in my case, the Win key) while clicking-and-dragging or rightclicking-and-dragging on a window, and doing so moves or resizes the window. This is a very efficient way of moving or resizing windows, as compared to finicky corner dragging or titlebar dragging.

Normally with AltDrag, performing the following sequence - 1) holding the Win key -> 2) clicking-and-dragging a window -> 3) releasing the mouse button -> 4) releasing the Win key - results in a window being moved without the start menu ever popping up. When performed on MPC-HC, however, not only do those same actions not result in the expected behavior of the window being moved, but the start menu also pops up. This seems to indicate that MPC-HC is not merely ignoring AltDrag, but is somehow killing AltDrag's functionality (one could imagine a world where MPC-HC would remain unmoved by AltDrag but without causing the start menu to pop up. This is not the case.)

I have been using this same Autohotkey script, this same version of AltDrag, and this same version of MPC-HC for literally years, and I have never encountered these problems before. Furthermore, no other program on my computer causes this problematic behavior with AHK and AltDrag, which is why my assumption is that it is a problem specific to MPC-HC. That's why I'm here rather than on the other programs' support sites.

There are a couple things worth mentioning for troubleshooting purposes: first, this problem only exists when MPC-HC is run with elevated administrator privileges. Second, this problem persists even when I do a fresh install of MPC-HC on a different computer. The problem also exists for MPC-HC 1.8.7.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm happy to offer any additional information as well attempt any troubleshooting that might help.

Thanks!

Last edited by HelmedHorror; 22nd September 2019 at 06:17.
HelmedHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2019, 13:55   #3439  |  Link
clsid

You shouldn't disable UAC completely, as it can cause weird behavior. It also doesn't automatically make things run as admin if you were expecting that.
Old 30th September 2019, 22:37   #3440  |  Link
bigboyman

Hello guys.

Recently I've come upon a batch of files which can't properly decode (video).
The video doesn't render properly and instead gives me black screens lasting several seconds followed by a sped-up version of what it was supposed to display in the first place (like it's trying not to lag behind despite being absolutely unwatchable).

Things which were not the problem:
  • MPC-HC
  • The renderer (tried them all)
  • LAV Video Decoder
  • The codec (h.265 in this case)
  • The format (.mkv)
  • The encode (x265)
  • DXVA
  • Hardware acceleration in general
Turns out my GPU was the problem, as it rendered flawlessly using my integrated graphics instead (or with no hardware acceleration).
But the thing is, playing any other x265 files I have with the exact same settings as before (using my GPU of course) is absolutely fine.
So what gives? It's obviously an issue with the files but why something so specific?
Anyone have an idea?
LAV Video, Audio, Splitter
madVR, EVR (CP), ...
XYsub, ASS, VobSub, ...
HW:
i7-6700HQ @ 2.60 GHz
GTX 960M (4 GB)
16 GB DDR4 RAM
1TB HDD + 128GB SSD
bigboyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dxva, media player classic, mpc, mpc-hc