Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 9th April 2011, 05:30   #1  |  Link
ckrisasa

VSFilter Subtitle Load Issue VC1 MKV

Hi All,

Recently I had problem with VC-1 MKV videos playback. After many suggesting FFDShow, Shark007 and many I figured that the below process is something works for me.

I installed CoreAVC 2.5 Pro with Haali Media Splitter for MKV Support and registered MPCVideoDec.ax.
Used Win7DSFilter Tweaker tool and set H264 Decoding to CoreAVC and VC-1 to MPCVideoDec.ax.
Installed VSFilter for Subtitle display, AC3 Filter for DTS audio decoding and Madflac for FLAC playback.

With this CoreAVC does the decoding using my Nvidia GPU and MPCVideoDec.ax partial GPU acceleration for VC1 MKV content.

The problem I have is, the MKV with x264/H264/AVC works fine with Subtitle filter but for the VC-1 MKVs VSFilter won't show up or rather work!

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Old 9th April 2011, 14:14   #2  |  Link
clsid

A decoder that uses DXVA must be directly connected to the video renderer. Intermediate filters like VSFilter can't be used.
Old 10th April 2011, 05:58   #3  |  Link
ckrisasa

Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
A decoder that uses DXVA must be directly connected to the video renderer. Intermediate filters like VSFilter can't be used.
Forgive me if I'm being stupid here.. I'm not so great at this stuff.. How is VSFilter working with CoreAVC for decoding H264 MKVs?

In any case, is there any subtitle software other than VOBSub which loads subtitles for Windows Media Player and Media Center irrespective of the decoders and the content that is being played?
ckrisasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 07:37   #4  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrisasa View Post
How is VSFilter working with CoreAVC for decoding H264 MKVs?
Probably CoreAVC does *not* use DXVA when it detects the soft subs...

Quote:
In any case, is there any subtitle software other than VOBSub which loads subtitles for Windows Media Player and Media Center irrespective of the decoders and the content that is being played?
ffdshow?
Midzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 07:53   #5  |  Link
ckrisasa

FFDShow??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midzuki View Post
Probably CoreAVC does *not* use DXVA when it detects the soft subs...
ffdshow?
Well.. The whole problem started with achieving Hardware acceleration while playing VC1 MKVs. Initially the VC1 MKVs won't play when I place the subtitle next to the video file or embed it in the MKV. I did try FFDShow with DXVA and that didn't load the subtitle either. And moreover there were audio sync issues if I either use Libavcodec or WMV9 to have the FFDShow render VC1 MKVs.
With MPCVidDec.ax atleast there are no any audio sync issues and I can get partial GPU acceleration leaving 50-60% load on CPU.
Old 10th April 2011, 13:33   #6  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Bottom line is: You cannot use DXVA and VSfilter at the same time. (This is not the whole truth, but let's keep it simple)
You can use MPC-HC's internal subtitle renderer in conjunction with DXVA: in MPC-HC's options choose "Auto-load subtitles" under "Playback". Then you can view the subtitles while using DXVA.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 14:20   #7  |  Link
ckrisasa

Other than VSFilter!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Bottom line is: You cannot use DXVA and VSfilter at the same time. (This is not the whole truth, but let's keep it simple)
Yep brother I agree..! I'm trying to find out if there is any other subtitle software other than VSFilter which loads subtitles irrespective of Codec/Renderer as long as the Video Player software is playing the video.
Old 10th April 2011, 14:42   #8  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrisasa View Post
Yep brother I agree..! I'm trying to find out if there is any other subtitle software other than VSFilter which loads subtitles irrespective of Codec/Renderer as long as the Video Player software is playing the video.
There is not.
Either a subtitle renderer has to draw over the picture which makes it incompatible with current DXVA solutions, or it will connect directly to the renderer which needs a renderer which has a subtitle input pin.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 01:25   #9  |  Link
ckrisasa

VC1 L3 to AVC L4.1

Well.. Thanks for all your inputs guys.. I spent hours searching for a fix over the web and I used Badaboom2(CUDA Accelerated) and it took just 4 hrs in converting the VC1 to AVC!! Wish I knew this earlier!

Problem solved!!

One thing which tossed me was, it took 12GB L3 VC1 Stream @ 14 Mbps bitrate and converted it to 14GB L4.1 AVC Stream @ 20 Mbps.

Tags
ac3, madflac, vc-1, vobsub, vsfilter