Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 8th February 2023, 18:31   #1821  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hi Mosu.
A user of BD3D2MK3D has this error with mkvmerge: CreateEventA not found in library api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll. I suppose it's because he uses an unsupported version of Windows. Car you confirm? Or is it an outdated library?
Original thread at VideoHelp here.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2023, 18:40   #1822  |  Link
lvqcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I suppose it's because he uses an unsupported version of Windows.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...54#post1971554 and several posts below it.
lvqcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2023, 19:22   #1823  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Hi Mosu.
A user of BD3D2MK3D has this error with mkvmerge: CreateEventA not found in library api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll. I suppose it's because he uses an unsupported version of Windows. Car you confirm? Or is it an outdated library?
Original thread at VideoHelp here.
Sounds like they're running Windows version not supported by MKVToolNix, e.g. 7.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2023, 10:19   #1824  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes. I have just received confirmation that Win7 is his OS.
Thanks.
Old 9th February 2023, 13:25   #1825  |  Link
kedautinh12

Quote:
Yes. I have just received confirmation that Win7 is his OS.
Thanks.
Win7 can use this ver
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=184092&page=4
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2023, 12:21   #1826  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Indeed. Thanks.
Old 12th February 2023, 17:51   #1827  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v74 released

Hey y'all!

MKVToolNix v74 is out. This is another one in a longer line of small-ish bug fix releases. Nothing too earth shattering. Anyway, have fun with it.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the downloads section and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 74.0.0 "You Oughta Know" 2023-02-12
New features and enhancements
  • mkvmerge: SRT handling: added a hack called "--engage keep_whitespaces_in_text_subtitles" which disables stripping whitespaces from the start & end of each line of SRT entries during muxing. Part of the implementation of #3470.

Bug fixes
  • all: Windows: UNC paths of type "\\?\C:\…" are supported again by switching back to Boost's file system library instead of using C++17's file system library. Fixes #3058.
  • mkvmerge: AVC/H.264 & HEVC/H.265 packetizers: when appending tracks the pixel dimensions will be checked & muxing will be aborted if they don't match. Fixes #3480.
  • mkvmerge: file type detection: file types that can be detected unambiguously by their content (e.g. Matroska, MP4, WAV…) will now preferred in the detection order over file types based on their extension. Prevents certain cases of mis-detection, e.g. DTS in WAV but with a file name extension of ".dts" being detected as the wrong type of DTS. Fixes #3462.
  • mkvmerge: SRT handling: whitespaces will now be stripped from the start & the end of each line of each entry, not just from the end of the last line. Part of the fix of #3470.
  • mkvextract: SRT extraction: whitespaces will not be stripped from the start & end of the whole entry anymore. Part of the fix of #3470.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when adding multiple files that include certain file types (chapters, segment info and tag files) and when the choice where to add them is "all files to a single new tab", these certain file types will now be added in the newly added tab as well instead of the current tab that had already been open. Fixes #3469.
  • build system: fixed compatibility with Ruby 3.2.0 by using "FileTest.exist?" instead of "File.exists?", "Dir.exists?" & "FileTest.exists?" which were removed in that release.

Build system changes
  • MKVToolNix is now using & requiring Boost's "file system" and "system" libraries again instead of C++17's file system library. This is due to gcc's library not supporting UNC paths of types "\\?\C:\dir\file.ext".

Have fun 😁

Old 15th February 2023, 15:33   #1828  |  Link
Ripman

Hi M. Thanks for the new v74 release.

Sometimes I use the gui to generate an options file. I noticed that sometimes the gui will put the —display-dimensions option with a width X height argument in the options file.

I never use the —display-dimensions from the command line. Is the option required? What happens if not used?

I did read the man page but didn’t see anything explicit about the questions I asked. Just wondering. I’m thinking if the option is not present, mkvmerge uses what it sees in the video stream.

Thanks again. Best…..

Last edited by Ripman; 15th February 2023 at 16:04.
Ripman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2023, 16:10   #1829  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

In general mkvmerge will always set the display dimensions on the output file. If they're provided via a CLI option, then those will be used. Otherwise, if they're provided by the source container (Matroska), those values will be used. Otherwise, the pixel dimensions will be used. Therefore you only need to set the parameters if they're different from the ones derived by the scheme outlined earlier. The goal for mkvmerge is to preserve as much information as possible verbatim by default.

That being said, the GUI has slightly different use case & different goal. One of its purpose is to make the user more aware of settings that are set somewhere in the source file. In the case of e.g. the movie's title that title is therefore shown in the appropriate line edit. The same goes for the display dimensions: if the source container provides display dimensions, those values are shown in the track's display width & height line edits — so that the user can easily see that they're set & what they're set to. Last, the GUI doesn't try to reduce the command line to the smallest possible CLI. It simply gives all the options for which some control is set in the GUI. Therefore sometimes those options are redundant.

For example, if you add a Matroska file with a video track whose pixel dimensions and display dimensions are both 1000x600. In such a case you wouldn't need to specify "--display-dimensions 0:1000x600" as that would be mkvmerge's default to use anyway. The GUI doesn't care, though; it doesn't try to recreate all of mkvmerge's internal decision making & adds "--display-dimensions 0:1000x600" anyway.

Old 26th February 2023, 17:25   #1830  |  Link
NVF

First, thanks so much for the tool.

I've gotten time stamp error warnings in the past (.srt overlaps if I understood them correctly) but no longer. Any help understanding and/or fixing this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks.
NVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2023, 18:47   #1831  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v75.0 released

Heyo!

Time for another release. Again nothing major, just some bug fixing & adding a simple converter from timed-text to Matroska's simple format (SRT-like).

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the downloads and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 75.0.0 "Goliath" 2023-03-26
New features and enhancements
  • mkvmerge: MP4 reader: mkvmerge will now read Timed Text (FourCC "tx3g") subtitle tracks & convert them on the fly to Matroska's simple text subtitle format ("S_TEXT/UTF8"; text only, no styles). Implements #2208, #2242, #2613, #3000, #3243, #3418 and possibly others.

Bug fixes
  • all: switched back to using "boost::filesystem" functions for creating directories instead of the ones introduced to work around bugs in "std::filesystem". The latter didn't work correctly with UNC paths after the switch to "boost::filesystem:ath" in v74. Fixes #3483.
  • mkvmerge: VobSub reader: mkvmerge will now probe the ".idx" file during VobSub identification even if the ".sub" file is passed as the source. Avoids mis-detection of the ".sub" as MPEG program streams. Fixes #3489.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: the GUI could abort with an exception on startup while looking for the "mkvmerge" or "mediainfo" executables due to inaccessible folders. Fixes #3481.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: preferences: when opening the preferences the first time the UI might pre-select the first entry in the list of interface languages if the operating system's language is not available for MKVToolNix. This might also happen on Linux if e.g. "en_GB" is set, even though "en_US" is available. Now English ("en_US") will be selected instead. Fixes #3486.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when adding files the GUI has special handling for chapter/tags/segment info files. This is done by comparing their content to certain patterns. This recognition could wrongfully be triggered if any such file was embedded in another file verbatim, e.g. with a chapter XML file attachment in a Matroska file. When trying to add that Matroska file, the GUI would treat it as a chapter file instead of a regular one. This content-based detection was fixed. Fixes #3487.

Other changes
  • mkvpropedit, GUI's header editor: removed support for the deprecated "minimum cache" & "maximum cache" track header elements.

Have fun ��

Last edited by Mosu; 27th March 2023 at 08:34.
Old 27th March 2023, 00:21   #1832  |  Link
NanoBot

Thx for the new version.
I would like to mention that the link for the windows versions points to fosshub where only the outdated version 73.0 is available. The newest windows version is available here: https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html#windows

NanoBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2023, 08:28   #1833  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Oooooh right, I forgot to update my boilerplate macro. Thanks.

Old 11th April 2023, 00:06   #1834  |  Link
Perenista

https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues/3194

"Disable default track flag for audio tracks"

Where is that option?
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2023, 12:57   #1835  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

There is no such option.

Old 13th April 2023, 16:48   #1836  |  Link
ctl-tx

If you're taking suggestions, can the "Tracks, chapters and tags" window have a "en/disable selected items" option on the right click menu, just like in the "Attachments from source files" window? I'd like to be able to select and disable ten items there at once instead of one at a time.
ctl-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2023, 21:08   #1837  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

All actions taken in the "properties" pane apply to all selected tracks. Meaning there are two ways to achieve what you want to do already. After having selected a couple of tracks, you can
  • switch the "copy this item" drop-down box to "no" or
  • hit the return key, assuming your focus is still on the tracks view.

As I don't really like all that much duplicated stuff, I will not add a third option to that list.

The difference with the other view is that the other view doesn't have a properties pane in which there is such an option already.

Old 14th April 2023, 02:11   #1838  |  Link
ctl-tx

That's good enough for me! Thanks for the tip!
ctl-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2023, 04:16   #1839  |  Link
AYColumbia

I was encoding some old DVDs at 720x480. After running the merge command below, the AR is translating to 1280x960 instead of 720x540. Ideas? I'm having to use the property editor (CLI) to fix it for now. The elementary stream is 720x480.

Code:
"D:\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe" --ui-language en --output ".\output\video.mkv"
   --no-audio --no-video --title "video.mkv [nocues]" "(" "K:\DVD Source\video.mkv" ")"
   --default-duration 0:24000/1001fps --aspect-ratio 0:4/3
   --language 0:und "(" "video.hevc" ")"
   --language 0:eng --no-chapters "(" "video.ac3" ")"
   --track-order 0:0,1:0 --engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position
Thanks.

[UPDATE] Getting more strange results. The command below specifies specific dimensions so the display numers are correct in the resulting MKV but the pixel dimensions are 720x960 instead of 720x480.
Code:
"E:\MultiMediaTools\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe" --ui-language en --output ".\output\video.mkv"
	--no-audio --no-video --title "video [nocues]"  "(" "K:\DVD Source\video.mkv" ")"
	--default-duration 0:24000/1001fps --display-dimensions 0:720x540
	--language 0:und "(" "video.hevc" ")"
	--language 0:eng  --no-chapters "(" "video.ac3" ")"
	--track-order 0:0,1:0 --engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position
Here's the mediainfo output for the main+video to help. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks a lot.
Code:
General
Unique ID                                : 9682556509059931718141687288042861920 (0x748CAE4AE737FE43B9CCF22F653B560)
Complete name                            : E:\media\work\video.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4
File size                                : 144 MiB
Duration                                 : 25 min 32 s
Overall bit rate                         : 787 kb/s
Movie name                               : video [nocues]
Encoded date                             : UTC 2023-04-23 13:09:48
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v75.0.0 ('Goliath') 64-bit
Writing library                          : libebml v1.4.4 + libmatroska v1.7.1

Video
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L3.1@Main
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                                 : 25 min 32 s
Bit rate                                 : 593 kb/s
Width                                    : 720 pixels
Height                                   : 960 pixels  <- pixel height in MKV
Original height                          : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.036
Stream size                              : 108 MiB (75%)
Writing library                          : x265 3.5+37+12-4e46995bc:[Windows][MSVC 1931][64 bit] 10bit
Encoding settings                        : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=3 / numa-pools=8 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr /
   no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=720x480 / interlace=1 / total-frames=36755 / 
   level-idc=0 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / no-repeat-headers / 
   annexb / no-aud / no-eob / no-eos / no-hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / open-gop / 
   min-keyint=23 / keyint=250 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=3 / b-adapt=0 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / 
   rc-lookahead=5 / lookahead-slices=0 / scenecut=69 / no-hist-scenecut / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / 
   ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / 
   limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=0 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / no-signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / 
   nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=2 / limit-refs=0 / no-limit-modes / 
   me=0 / subme=0 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / no-frame-dup / no-hme / no-weightp / no-weightb / 
   no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / no-sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=2 / selective-sao=0 / early-skip / 
   rskip / fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / 
   psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=0.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=21.0 / 
   qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / vbv-maxrate=10000 / vbv-bufsize=10000 / vbv-init=0.9 / 
   min-vbv-fullness=50.0 / max-vbv-fullness=80.0 / crf-max=0.0 / crf-min=0.0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / 
   aq-mode=1 / aq-strength=0.00 / aq-bias-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / 
   no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=0 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=6 / 
   transfer=6 / colormatrix=6 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0 / cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / 
   log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / 
   no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / hist-threshold=0.03 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / 
   no-hdr10 / no-hdr10-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=0 / 
   analysis-save-reuse-level=0 / analysis-load-reuse-level=0 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / 
   refine-mv=1 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / 
   copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / 
   qp-adaptation-range=1.00 / scenecut-aware-qp=0conformance-window-offsets / right=0 / bottom=0 / 
   decoder-max-rate=0 / no-vbv-live-multi-pass
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.601
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.601

Last edited by AYColumbia; 23rd April 2023 at 14:27. Reason: added more info, fixed text length
AYColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2023, 15:02   #1840  |  Link
AYColumbia

Bueller, Bueller, anyone, anyone...
AYColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska