Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Closed Thread

Old 14th February 2002, 01:56   #1  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Ripping Q&A

1# Q: I have this disc XY that none of the ripping programs I tried could rip. Is this a new method of encryption?

A: There will never be a new encryption on DVDs. We have roughly a 100 million DVD capable devices worldwide, if not more. Now imagine making these superfluous... you simply cannot do that. The point of having a standard is that you can play anything anywhere or it wouldn't be a standard. The oldest 1st gen DVD players must be able to play every DVD that will ever be released. Of course, that's theoretical.. the oldest players may have problems with advanced discs because when they were manufactured nobody had ever created a complicated DVD project so there was no software out there to test the hardware. But rest assured.. DVD will always remain DVD and will always use the exact same technology.

2# Q: Which ripping program should I use?

A: Simple... DVD Decrypter (now that is has IFO parsing!)
From a non-bias point of view, you might also like to check out SmartRipper, vStrip (and its variants - ie. CladDVD (XP)).
Why not take a look at the following 'now outdated' ripper comparison: http://www.doom9.org/dvd_ripper_comparison.htm.
Flask and XMpeg have internal support for IFO parsing so an IFO parsing mode within the rippers should be avoided - although it is often better than the one implemented in the encoders!

3# Q: How to play DVDs from my HD?

A: http://www.doom9.org/mpg/hd-playback.htm

4# Q: How do I use vStrip?

A: Read this guide: http://www.doom9.org/vstrip.htm

5# Q: How to deal with multiangle or seamless branching titles?

A: All ifo parsing rippers (DVD Decrypter, SmartRipper, vStrip and cladDVD) can handle these titles properly.
Using DVD Decrypter's 'File Mode', by default all angles are kept. This is what you want when creating another DVD and undesireable when you create a movie only copy. In the latter case, you need to enable 'MultiAngle Processing' to get rid of all but one angle.

6# Q: Can I rip a DVD which zone does not match the zone of my DVD-ROM drive?

A: It depends. If the ripping program uses the ASPI method (instant) for retreiving the decryption key then the region of the disc and the drive must match (or the drive must be RPC-1 = regionfree). Only DVD Decrypter 3 and SmartRipper support the ASPI method. Both of these programs will use the normal 'Brute Force' cracking method (used by all the other decrypting tools) if the ASPI one fails.

7# Q: I ripped a DVD to my HD and like to burn it onto a DVD-R/W. How do I do that?

A: Read the DVD -> DVD-R/W guides: http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdr-guides.htm

8# Q: I get a "ASPI Initialization failed" or "no ASPI access to this drive" error when starting my ripping program. What can I do?

A: Install forceaspi, available on http://www.doom9.org/

9# Q: My drive rips really slow.

A: Certain drives like the Toshiba SD-M1512 are locked to 2x speed when dealing with CSS encrypted discs. In that case you can't do anything. Normally try to enable Ultra DMA in your BIOS and Windows (Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager, in W2k/XP the setting is in the IDE/ATAPI controller settings, in W9x/ME it's part of the DVD drive settings). If that doesn't help try to reconnect your IDE devices differently. The DVD-ROM should be master and if possible have its own IDE channel.

10# Q: I get an out of disc space error when really there is lots of free space - what's wrong?

A: Drives formatted as FAT/FAT32 are limited in the fact that the maximum supported file size is 4GB. When merging files, this can be an issue. NTFS does not suffer from this limitation. NTFS is only available (for local discs) under Windows NT / 2000 / XP. You can however 'map' to an networked NTFS drive from a Windows 95 / 98 / Me machine just fine.

11# Q: DVD Decrypter shows 'No Devices Found' but I get NO ASPI errors in the log - what's wrong?

A: If you are running Windows NT/2000/.NET, get the WNASPI32.DLL file from ahead's (Creators of Nero Burning Rom) website (http://www.ahead.de) and copy it to your winnt\system32 - windows\system32 folder. The Adaptec ASPI layer seems to have problems with XP. This includes the new 4.7 version - infact, I've found that to be the worst yet!

Last edited by LIGHTNING UK!; 28th May 2002 at 16:56.
Old 17th September 2005, 21:44   #2  |  Link
apfraats

The 'stickie' statement of multi-angle and DVD-DECRYPTER is not correct.

If you use DVD-DECRYPTER in deafult file mode, and you don't enable multi-angle processing at all, you just get youre DVD ripped, with ALL ANGLES included.

Multi-angle processing is only usefull if you DON'T want to rip all angles.

If you keep it UNSELLECTED, automatically ALL ANGLES will be ripped.

Ik stikies are ment to be correct, they should be correct......

Old 17th September 2005, 21:57   #3  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
The 'stickie' statement of multi-angle and DVD-DECRYPTER is not correct.
This statement is untrue.

Quote:
Multi-angle processing is only usefull if you DON'T want to rip all angles.
That is correct, and in most cases is what you want. For historic reasons, this FAQ was written way before one click transcoders and thus way before anybody wanted to keep angles. It is therefore correct, but incomplete.
Old 14th November 2005, 05:06   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

@Doom9

Hi!

Considering the implementation of "ARccOS" copy protection, you might want to modify statement #1...
Old 14th November 2005, 11:20   #5  |  Link
GOPPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old
@Doom9

Hi!

Considering the implementation of "ARccOS" copy protection, you might want to modify statement #1...

Maybe, Maybe not. Ever considered ARccOS NOT to be DVD-compliant ???

What if I should design a DVD-player that read's ahaead before some reason ?? It will run into 'read-errors'.......

Sony has just luck nobody (as far as I know) uses such an appraoch.

In fact the presence of read-erros is even not compliant at some very low (book-standard) level, on which DVD-compliancy is based.

Aagin Sony does do things that are out of spec, and I will laugh when they run into problems with this.

See their stupid copy-protection on audio-cd's....

They didn't play in any car-player here, and were brought back to the shop, because of this......., bad luck for Sony....

Old 14th November 2005, 11:30   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

@GOPPER

Hi!

I was referring to, "There will never be a new encryption on DVDs."

ARccOS is a new form of encryption that appeared after "Doom9" posted this FAQ...
Old 25th November 2005, 12:52   #7  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

If anything ARccOS is old technology - putting bad sectors on a disk and skipping them (gee whiz) - remember 5.25" floppies with bad sectors on them that made your A drive clunk its way to oblivion?

Sorry to post in the sticky. Move it/delete it if you like.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
Old 4th December 2005, 21:40   #8  |  Link
setarip_old

For clarification - For DVDs, ARccOS is a new form of encryption that appeared after "Doom9" posted this FAQ...
Old 29th December 2005, 22:21   #9  |  Link
LIGHTNING UK!
Author of ImgBurn

CSS is/was encryption. By definition, I'm not sure these newer hurdles can be classed as encryption.

I believe when Doom9 wrote the text above, he was speaking in terms of there being a variation of CSS.

So strictly speaking, what he said still stands.

Of course without easy access to a crystal ball, he couldn't foresee these newer forms of protection being implemented.
Old 20th February 2006, 06:56   #10  |  Link
MrGerber

Fix for hidden DMA bug in Windows

I determined Windows 2000, and apparently other versions of Windows such as XP, have a feature/bug that causes Windows to slow down or stop using DMA transfers after accumulating a few I/O errors (CRC and timeout, according to Microsoft) accessing drives on the IDE bus where most DVD burners reside. This will result in much higher CPU usage during both DVD reading and writing resulting in slower performance for most PCs as 100% CPU usage struggles to move data to and from the drive.

Instruction #9 in the “Ripping Q&A”, “drive rips really slow” in this site’s Decrypting Forum advises making sure DMA is enabled in the Windows Device Manager utility, which is good advice of course. The problem is when this bug occurs, Instruction #9 to enable DMA won’t work because even when DMA is enabled in the Windows Device Manager, the OS will not fully use DMA or not use it all! In the case where enough I/O errors have accumulated to cause Windows to turn off DMA altogether, the Device Manager will show the Current Transfer Mode as PIO. If fewer I/O errors have accumulated and Windows has not yet turned DMA off and only slowed it down, no indication will appear whatsoever, anywhere! Once DMA is slowed down, or turned off in favor of PIO, it will stick in that mode – even after rebooting! Apparently, this feature was originally intended to fix hard drive problems, but becomes a nasty stealth bug for DVD readers and burners, which often encounter I/O errors from dirty or scratched discs!

In the case of my 900 MHz Pentium PC and Pioneer 16x burner, I was only getting 2.5x tops after enough I/O errors had accumulated to cause the OS to turn off DMA and switch to PIO. Prior to that, I had not seen 100% speed from my drive in a long time because prior I/O errors had been quietly knocking the DMA transfer rate down, and I had just assumed my drive was wearing out. After fixing this bug, I was able to get 100% performance from my DVD drive.

Microsoft has posted a problem report in their knowledge base: Article ID 817472. I advise following their instructions. However, like me you might find it too much trouble to call them, as suggested in the article, to get their “hotfix,” which apparently does not prevent this bug from triggering again anyway. Thus, I recommend you try the “Workaround” suggestion they provide, which requires uninstalling the IDE device driver. The driver should automatically reinstall after rebooting with a fresh start (reset) having forgotten about the accumulated I/O errors that triggered the bug. After that, you will probably need to use the Windows Device Manager Utility make sure DMA is selected for the transfer mode as suggested in Instruction #9. This procedure worked for my Windows 2000 PC.

Unfortunately, after applying the Workaround, or Microsoft’s hotfix, the bug is still present in Windows and lying in wait for more I/O errors. To make it less likely that the bug will trigger again, the registry must be edited to tell Windows to only count consecutive I/O errors instead of accumulating them. Of course, enough consecutive I/O errors are still possible with DVDs to trigger the bug again, but this will make it less likely (how much less I cannot say). I have copied Microsoft’s registry edit instructions below. If you find this registry editing too intimidating or just too much trouble, you can just skip this step and keep an eye on the performance of your drive. If you see it start to drop again, just go through the driver uninstall steps above again. I hope this helps save you the hours time I wasted debugging a slow burner.

MORE INFORMATION
The hotfix this article describes makes the following changes:

• In Windows 2000 only, read requests to ATA disks are sometimes issued with a time-out value of 4 seconds. This occurs when your computer resumes from standby. This might cause a disk time-out because drives typically take more than 4 seconds to spin up. This time-out value was changed to 10 seconds.

In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, this time-out value is always 10 seconds.

• An alternate, less-aggressive policy is implemented to reduce the transfer mode (from faster to slower DMA modes, and then eventually to PIO mode) on time-out and CRC errors. The existing behavior is that the IDE/ATAPI Port driver (Atapi.sys) reduces the transfer mode after any 6 cumulative time-out or CRC errors. When the new policy is implemented by this fix, Atapi.sys reduces the transfer mode only after 6 consecutive time-out or CRC errors. This new policy is implemented only if the registry value that is described later in this article is present.

To implement the alternate behavior (reducing the transfer mode after six consecutive time-out or CRC errors instead of after six cumulative time-out or CRC errors), you must modify the registry as described below after you apply the hotfix.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

4. Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.

5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.

6. Type 1, and then click OK.

Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

4. Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.

5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.

6. Type 1, and then click OK.

Note The numbered subkeys that are listed earlier correspond to the primary and secondary IDE channels on a computer that contains a single IDE controller. If your computer contains two IDE controllers, the numbered subkeys for the primary and secondary IDE channels for each of the two controllers may be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0003

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0004

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0005

To verify that you have located the correct subkey, verify that the DriverDesc value for the subkey contains the string value "Primary IDE Channel" or the string value "Secondary IDE Channel."

<EOM>
Closed Thread