Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th March 2017, 05:13   #3041  |  Link
djesteban

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
It is a bug in LAV Splitter. GraphStudioNext also crashes when LAV is set as preferred splitter for .avs
Works with the latest version of Avisynth+, it's just not obvious to find it. See this post on how to get it and install procedure.
Thanks again for looking into it clsid
djesteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 07:46   #3042  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Check the contents of the Registry keys.

Selecting an app in "Default Programs" will create a subkey called "UserChoice" that contains a value "ProgID" that points to the relevant file association stub (e.g. mplayerc64.mkv).

If the file association is working, then CCleaner detection is bogus.
At last!

You accidentally caught the bug of MPC-HC.

MPC-HC doesn't create the subkey called "OpenWithProgids" for any of the registered file extensions included in its defaults.

Now, those extensions that appear in CCleaner do not have "OpenWithProgids" created by some other program, so CCleaner properly thinks they are unused.

MPC-HC needs to create the subkey called "OpenWithProgids" for every file extension is included in its defaults and register itself in both "OpenWithProgids" and "UserChoice" key.

Take a look here:
the .alac extension appears in CCleaner as unused, while the .3gp it doesn't.

Still, even .3gp is not properly registered to MPC-HC since it misses MPC-HC app from subkey "OpenWithProgids"

Last edited by NikosD; 15th March 2017 at 07:51.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 10:20   #3043  |  Link
nussman

AFAIK "OpenWithProgids" is for WinXP only.
So I think MPC-HC is right and potplayer and ccleaner are buggy ...
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 20:42   #3044  |  Link
vorob

Error creating EVR Custom rendrer:
CreateDevice failed
DX9AllocatorPresenter failed

D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

Win 10, NV 1070, latest driver.

Win 10 player works perfect.
vorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 21:01   #3045  |  Link
vorob

Well, it was all because my second screen used via this https://www.splashtop.com/wiredxdisplay
vorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 21:47   #3046  |  Link
ilnot1
ilnot1

Trying to get HDR to display on my LG 4k OLED

Hello, I'm experienced with computers but not with HDR. I'm using the latest version of MPC-HC (13) and I'd like know what are the filters and output settings I should use to get true HDR video displaying on my LG OLED55B6P. There's a lot pixelation and banding in the dark areas of the video.

I'm on Win7x64, I have a GTX 1060 and 4.5GHz 2600K, I'm using an HDMI-to-HDMI cable, and I've enabled Deep Color on the TV's HDMI port.

These are my Nvidia Settings (if it matters) and the media info for the file I'm playing.
Attached Images

ilnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 02:34   #3047  |  Link
HelmedHorror

I'm experiencing some extreme audio distortion/clipping/crackling during loud explosion scenes in the Star Wars films. VLC plays it with no audio problems at all. I've spent over an hour trying to fix it. I've changed virtually every audio setting there is in MPC-HC trying to identify the culprit. No other media I play has this problem. Ever. And I watch a lot of stuff. The films (original trilogy) are just the raw Blu-ray, with DTS-HD MA.

Resetting all settings to default does not resolve the issue. I've tinkered with every conceivable audio setting in MPC-HC. Yes, that includes everything in the audio decoder settings, splitter settings, and audio renderer settings. When I say every setting, I mean it.

I've also tinkered with all of VLC's audio settings to see if there is a way to introduce the problem into VLC's playback of the film, which might give an inkling as to what the problem is. No luck.

I've searched MPC-HC's bug tracker for various relevant keywords but couldn't find anything.

I'm open to any and all suggestions (although please keep in mind the facts I've given you from my troubleshooting attempts. I don't want to hear "Maybe it's your headphones", since it works just fine in VLC,) and I'll gladly give any pertinent information that anyone thinks might help diagnose this. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks.
HelmedHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 02:42   #3048  |  Link
Olivier C.

Did you tried different audio renderers ?

VLC : Directsound by default ?

MPC-HC : depends on Output Audio option (Directsound by default)

Did you tried the new MPC-HC internal audio renderer ?
There is a recommendation with the new audio renderer : volume set to something like 85% in order to prevent distorsion (according to the remark left on the dialog option)
Olivier C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 03:02   #3049  |  Link
HelmedHorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier C. View Post
Did you tried different audio renderers ?

VLC : Directsound by default ?

MPC-HC : depends on Output Audio option (Directsound by default)

Did you tried the new MPC-HC internal audio renderer ?
There is a recommendation with the new audio renderer : volume set to something like 85% in order to prevent distorsion (according to the remark left on the dialog option)
Yes, I had done all that, and done it again just now to be sure. It doesn't help at all.

This isn't a simple matter of clipping. If that was the problem, every loud explosion in every movie I watch would have this problem. This is the only movie that has this problem.

I think/thought that the problem has something to do with the DTS S24 7.1 audio on this film, as opposed to the typical 5.1, except I tested multiple other movies with the same DTS S24 7.1 audio and there is no such issue on the other films.
Old 21st March 2017, 08:04   #3050  |  Link
mogli

Did you try turning 'Normalize Matrix' on and 'Clipping Protection' off at the same time in LAV Audio Decoder Mixing section? Or not putting out 32-bit Integers in the Output Format section?
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 10:42   #3051  |  Link
HelmedHorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli View Post
Did you try turning 'Normalize Matrix' on and 'Clipping Protection' off at the same time in LAV Audio Decoder Mixing section? Or not putting out 32-bit Integers in the Output Format section?
Tried all of that just now, but none of it fixed it
Old 21st March 2017, 15:21   #3052  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmedHorror View Post
I'm experiencing some extreme audio distortion/clipping/crackling during loud explosion scenes in the Star Wars films. VLC plays it with no audio problems at all. I've spent over an hour trying to fix it. I've changed virtually every audio setting there is in MPC-HC trying to identify the culprit. No other media I play has this problem. Ever. And I watch a lot of stuff. The films (original trilogy) are just the raw Blu-ray, with DTS-HD MA.

Resetting all settings to default does not resolve the issue. I've tinkered with every conceivable audio setting in MPC-HC. Yes, that includes everything in the audio decoder settings, splitter settings, and audio renderer settings. When I say every setting, I mean it.

I've also tinkered with all of VLC's audio settings to see if there is a way to introduce the problem into VLC's playback of the film, which might give an inkling as to what the problem is. No luck.

I've searched MPC-HC's bug tracker for various relevant keywords but couldn't find anything.

I'm open to any and all suggestions (although please keep in mind the facts I've given you from my troubleshooting attempts. I don't want to hear "Maybe it's your headphones", since it works just fine in VLC,) and I'll gladly give any pertinent information that anyone thinks might help diagnose this. It's driving me crazy.
Smells like high frequency garbage in the LFE channel. Try the following:
  1. Enable stereo downmixing in the LAV Audio "mixing" tab. Check "Normalize matrix" to rule out clipping in the next steps.
  2. In the mixing options, set the LFE level to zero. Then check if the issue is still there.
  3. In the mixing options, set the LFE level to something high (like 1.5). Then check if the issue is still there.

If the issue disappears with the LFE level set to zero, and reappears as soon as LFE is brought back in, it means the LFE channel in the content you're playing is screwed up. This would not be the first time. One reason VLC might not have this problem is because maybe it discards LFE, or maybe it applies a low-pass filter to it (a similar suggestion was made regarding LAV Audio, but I don't think nevcairiel ever got around to implementing it).

Last edited by e-t172; 21st March 2017 at 15:36.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 15:24   #3053  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

VLC may not support lossless DTS-HD MA decoding, which would give you quite a different result.
An extra special part is that Star Wars uses 6.1 audio, not 5.1 or 7.1, that can cause weirdness in some cases.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 21st March 2017 at 15:26.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 16:07   #3054  |  Link
huhn

reminds me of this: https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=19938
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 21:02   #3055  |  Link
HelmedHorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Smells like high frequency garbage in the LFE channel. Try the following:
  1. Enable stereo downmixing in the LAV Audio "mixing" tab. Check "Normalize matrix" to rule out clipping in the next steps.
  2. In the mixing options, set the LFE level to zero. Then check if the issue is still there.
  3. In the mixing options, set the LFE level to something high (like 1.5). Then check if the issue is still there.

If the issue disappears with the LFE level set to zero, and reappears as soon as LFE is brought back in, it means the LFE channel in the content you're playing is screwed up. This would not be the first time. One reason VLC might not have this problem is because maybe it discards LFE, or maybe it applies a low-pass filter to it (a similar suggestion was made regarding LAV Audio, but I don't think nevcairiel ever got around to implementing it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
VLC may not support lossless DTS-HD MA decoding, which would give you quite a different result.
An extra special part is that Star Wars uses 6.1 audio, not 5.1 or 7.1, that can cause weirdness in some cases.
To clarify, by "Enable stereo downmixing", you mean to set Output Speaker Configuration to Stereo, correct?

When I do that and set LFE to 0.00, the problem is fixed. When I raise the LFE slider, the problem comes back.

But somehow I doubt the film was mastered with such glaring LFE problems, would you agree? So where along the chain of audio processing is this problem occurring do you think? nevcariel mentioned the 6.1 audio in Star Wars, and I think he might be on to something (the Star Wars original trilogy are the only movies I have with DTS S24 6.1.) I just don't know enough about the lav filters or MPC-HC to know what to try next...

But if Star Wars is basically the only thing I can expect to have this problem with, that isn't so bad I suppose...
Old 21st March 2017, 21:37   #3056  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
But somehow I doubt the film was mastered with such glaring LFE problems, would you agree?
You would be surprised, such problems happen quite often because LFE is typically played through subwoofers that simply cannot play any higher frequencies - so noise in higher frequencies in those channels is not detected.

The proper way to deal with this is to lowpass the LFE before downmixing, and filter out the higher frequencies, unfortunately LAV does not support such a functionality (yet).
Old 21st March 2017, 21:45   #3057  |  Link
HelmedHorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You would be surprised, such problems happen quite often because LFE is typically played through subwoofers that simply cannot play any higher frequencies - so noise in higher frequencies in those channels is not detected.

The proper way to deal with this is to lowpass the LFE before downmixing, and filter out the higher frequencies, unfortunately LAV does not support such a functionality (yet).
Interesting... so, why don't other movies have this problem? I have tons of DTS 7.1 movies which, by definition, all have LFE tracks. Did the audio technicians who mastered these other movies' audio simply cut out the higher frequencies in the LFE track, unlike the guys behind the Star Wars audio mastering? If that's the case, then the problem isn't Star Wars's unique 6.1 audio itself, correct? And that any audio of any surround configuration would have the same problem if they didn't take out the high frequencies in the LFE track?

Last edited by HelmedHorror; 21st March 2017 at 21:47.
Old 21st March 2017, 21:56   #3058  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

It definitely sound like a mastering mistake in the LFE channel. It happens occasionally, but the majority of discs are fine, of course.

And yes, such a problem is independent of the channel count, as long as it contains a LFE that is. If you use stereo downmixing, the 6.1 layout wouldn't matter either way, the LAV downmixer can handle that fine.
Old 21st March 2017, 23:13   #3059  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Interesting... so, why don't other movies have this problem?
Because a lot needs to go wrong for that to happen:
  • There was audible noise that got into the LFE channel in the first place.
  • It wasn't removed by any lowpass filter anywhere in the production chain.
  • It wasn't removed by the encoder (the encoders for some formats, such as the lossy versions of DD/DTS, would have removed it, AFAIK).
  • It wasn't caught by the monitoring system of the sound engineer that mastered the audio track.

That's quite a contrived scenario, which is why it only happens rarely. But it can absolutely happen if enough things go wrong simultaneously. Then you're left with a disc that has garbage in the LFE channel. Meanwhile, 99% of the audience won't hear any problem because the LFE channel goes through a lowpass filter on their system (either an actual electronic lowpass filter, or the subwoofer itself), thus masking the issue.

Last edited by e-t172; 21st March 2017 at 23:15.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 19:55   #3060  |  Link
Tier777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tier777 View Post
Latest stable just reintroduced this old bug

https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/1567
I tried old nightlies to pinpoint when the bug got introduced and found that
MPC-HC.1.7.10.40.x64.VS2015 doesn't have this issue and
MPC-HC.1.7.10.56.x64.VS2015 does.

Which means the bug was introduced on Jan 17th 2016.

I'm not a dev so I wouldn't know which commit is responsible for this behavior. Could anyone take a look at this?

https://github.com/mpc-hc/mpc-hc/com...daf24f7683+244
Tier777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dxva, media player classic, mpc, mpc-hc