Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 12th August 2012, 20:35   #1  |  Link
kolak

Replicated versus burned disks, bitrates, etc.

SP3 ability to deinterlace source is intended mainly (if not only) for checking field order.
High bitrates eg above 8-8.5Mbit can cause problems for few (corrected from many) players, specially if used on burned (not replicated) discs.

Last edited by Guest; 16th August 2012 at 12:54.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 21:22   #2  |  Link
TheSkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
High bitrates eg above 8-8.5Mbit can cause problems for many players, specially if used on burned (not replicated) discs.
I dare to say: that's mostly an urban myth. Yes, there surely are a few old (10 years or more), maybe worn out (dirty laser and the like) players that will produce some or much stuttering with bitrates bigger than maybe 8000 with home burnt discs of average burn quality. But the fact that I haven't ever come across one yet that does that with my discs and even the Playstation 2 playing a 9200 kbit/s CBR DVD had no problems despite having an imfamous dodgy laser and the DVD spec allowing such a bitrate is enough for me to use it.

I'm certain it is not just a matter of bitrate and player but especially the burn quality of the disc. I check my DVD-R discs using "Nero CD-DVD Speed" and I get excellent results using quality media and a 2006 BenQ burner. Sometimes, believe it or not, commercially replicated discs have more PI-Failures than my home burnt discs.

Playing a rather bad burn the more picky players may produce stuttering in case of very high bitrates, that's why I claim it's not a problem of bitrate but media, burner and maybe player.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 13th August 2012 at 09:57.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 21:51   #3  |  Link
mp3dom

Never had a single problem with high bitrates, and I almost always hit the 9.8 Mbps (I speak about replicated discs).
Anyway, as already said, SP3 for progressive sources, ProCoder for the interlaced sources. The blur of ProCoder is quite light, you can overcome this (at least about fine grain) using avisynth and the blockbuster plugin with noise method applied.
BTW, even in the 5-6 mbps range I find the results of SP3 more pleasant than HCEnc (always referred to progressive sources).
The output of ProCoder is the same as Carbon Coder, the difference is that ProCoder costs 500$, while Carbon Coder 5000$. They're made for totally different things. Carbon Coder is mainly intender as an "encoding farm" for almost all the professional/broadcast video/audio formats. If you only need to encode to MPEG-2 (and others common formats) there's no need to spend so much money because the output quality is 100% identical (and I mean, mathematically)
x262 is too 'immature' to be used and doesn't output a 'stable' image quality.
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 00:27   #4  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkiller View Post
I dare to say: that's mostly an urban myth. Yes, there surely are a few old (10 years or more), maybe worn out (dirty laser and the like) players that will produce some or much stuttering with bitrates bigger than maybe 8000 with home burnt discs of average burn quality. But the fact that I haven't ever come across one yet that does that with my discs and even the Playstation 2 playing a 9200 kbit/s CBR DVD had no problems despite having an imfamous dodgy laser and the DVD spec allowing such a bitrate is enough for me to use it.

I'm certain it is not just a matter of bitrate and player but especially the burn quality of the disc. I check my DVD-R discs using "Nero CD-DVD Speed" and I get excellent results using quality media and a 2006 BenQ burner. Sometimes, believe it or not, commercially replicated discs have more PI-Failures than my home burnt discs.

In case of a rather bad burn the more picky players may produce stuttering in case of very high bitrates, that's why I claim it's not a problem of bitrate but media, burner and maybe player.
Myth or not myth, all depends on quality of the burned disc and player. On our testing players I had no problems and I also use very high bitrate on many discs- they are video+ PCM+full DTS and peak at 9.5Mbit. In the same time had few complains from clients about some playback issues, which were always gone when replicated discs were tried. Some laptops also have this issue. Some players also have very long LB change with burned DVD-9, which is way better with replicated discs.

I agree that it's not a real issues these days, as most modern players have no problems to play high bitrate burned DVDs.
It also depends on the encoder- eg. Carbon Coder streams seams to have more problems than mpegs from Cinemacraft. Some players have problem with GOPs without B frames also, and this is also what Carbon Coder can make- SP3 has special setting to avoid GOPs without B frames. Overall mpeg2 playback is quite solid in current players.

Last edited by kolak; 13th August 2012 at 00:37.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 08:27   #5  |  Link
zerowalker

what is replicated discs?

So i should in other words use GOP with B frames, and try to stay under 9.5Mbit Peak, to be "100%" safe so to speak?
zerowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 09:20   #6  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkiller View Post
Maximum allowed combined bitrate of video+audio+subtitles is 9800 kbit/s.
The max allowed for video, audio, subs, and the muxing overhead is 10080 Kbit/s. 9800 Kbit/s is the max allowed for the video alone although, of course, that might have to be adjusted downwards depending on the bitrate of the others. I regularly use a max bitrate for the video of 9500 Kbit/s for burned DVDRs using CCE and have never had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerowalker
what is replicated discs?
Pressed discs, as opposed to the burned discs we create with our computers.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 01:25   #7  |  Link
zerowalker

Pressed Discs?
I think i have heard that from burning DVD+R with DVD-ROM book type?

is that a Pressed Disc?

And how does it differ from normal DVD+/-R discs?
Does it read better or what?
Old 16th August 2012, 02:20   #8  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
Pressed Discs?
I think i have heard that from burning DVD+R with DVD-ROM book type?

is that a Pressed Disc?

And how does it differ from normal DVD+/-R discs?
Does it read better or what?
No it's the opposite. "Pressed" means not burned with a laser. It's stamped with a machine. You can't do this at home or with consumer equipment. Yes it reads better and is more reliable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_%28optical_media%29
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 06:28   #9  |  Link
zerowalker

Oh, never knew about that, but it explains how they mass produce (even though i havenīt seen the process).
As i canīt see that they have a machine with 10000 dvd drives or something, or maybe it exists;P

But with the normal burned, as i canīt do pressed for obvious reasons, i use Verbatim DVD+R, i have modded my DVD Drive to force DVD-Rom booktype which should be good?

I know that burning speed can make all the difference, but as i understand it, Slower burn = Better?
Cause it will be less error, which means less tear on the laser i think.

But i also read something like (Burning at the stated DVD Disc speed is a golden rule!), meaning 16x DVD should be burned at 16x, though i myself donīt know if itīs true or not,
does anyone know about this?
Old 16th August 2012, 10:45   #10  |  Link
TheSkiller

Quote:
i use Verbatim DVD+R, i have modded my DVD Drive to force DVD-Rom booktype which should be good?
Yes, setting the booktype to DVD-ROM when burning to a DVD+R media is a good thing to do as it will prevent older players made I think in 2004 and earlier from rejecting the disc due to the manufacturer "not liking the plus standard" (you know there was that plus/minus war at the time).
DVD+R DL should also be burned with DVD-ROM booktype for best compatibility.

It doesn't really matter whether you use DVD+R (with DVD-ROM booktype) or DVD-R. I personally use DVD-R.

Quote:
I know that burning speed can make all the difference, but as i understand it, Slower burn = Better?
No, it's not that easy unfortunately. Burning at the fastet rated speed is usually giving slightly worse results than burning at half of that or inbetween. And then, burning really slow, like 4x with a 16x rated media, may worsen the burn quality again.
I would suggest: 16x media - burn with 8x or 12x.

By the way, if you use Verbatim (I use them as well by the way), I would suggest you stay away from the ones that are made in China, they are inferior to the ones made in Taiwan, India and UAE in terms of burn quality and total failures (i.e. discs that fail to burn properly and are instant junk).

Last edited by TheSkiller; 16th August 2012 at 10:51.
Old 16th August 2012, 12:19   #11  |  Link
zerowalker

Ah then itīs as i read with the compatibility, good that there isnīt any bad effects from setting DVD-ROM

oh, that was to bad, here is my burning media: http://www.sweburn.com/product.php?productid=167&cat=4&page=1

Not sure, but i think itīs one of the better (think i looked it up).

What would you burn these on?
Old 17th August 2012, 13:17   #12  |  Link
TheSkiller

Quote:
Not sure, but i think itīs one of the better (think i looked it up).
In my experience Verbatim is indeed good, as long as you don't get the ones made in China. But the thing is: of course they all look the same, you can't tell where they are made, except if you hold a new cake-box/spindle in your hands and look at the wrapping foil, at the side there is a white box with small printed stuff. That's where you will find "Made in ..." somewhere. In other words, if bought online there's no way to tell where the discs were made in advance. The media code of the discs can also be used to tell where they were made but again, to do that you need to put a disc in your computer first to read that code.

Quote:
What would you burn these on?
I don't have that much experience with different burners but if you use a full-sized internal (not laptop) burner by Plextor, LG, Lite-On, (genuine) BenQ you're good. The older ones are usually pretty good if IDE connection is possible for you.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 17th August 2012 at 15:26.
Old 17th August 2012, 13:59   #13  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Most new DVDRs are burnt with a higher degree of errors, which slows down the drive and thus the increased odds to stuttering. In particular true for DVDR DLs.
Bittsetting doesn't increase the reading speed, just make them be read by older units. Newer units do not care, or even complain if the bitsetting doesn't correspond to the reality (Samsung).
Old 27th August 2012, 23:09   #14  |  Link
zerowalker

I got TSSTcorp SH-203P with Firmware SB01 (modified to DVD+R and some other stuff).

Is this drive good for burning?
It uses Sata though, i think i have and old Nec(some thousand number) which is IDE.
Old 28th August 2012, 08:16   #15  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
I got TSSTcorp SH-203P with Firmware SB01 (modified to DVD+R and some other stuff).

Shouldn't you do the opposite way? I mean first learn whether the burner is any good, then buy it?
Old 28th August 2012, 17:07   #16  |  Link
zerowalker

I bought this drive, years ago, didnīt read about burning quality at that time
Old 28th August 2012, 20:45   #17  |  Link
setarip_old

[@zerowalker

Hi!

You ask?
Quote:
Then you say:
Quote:
I bought this drive, years ago
You should be able to answer your own question, based on your firsthand experience with this drive...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 20:54   #18  |  Link
zerowalker

How do i know if itīs good or not?
As well, my discs can be played, but that doesnīt really tell anyone anything right?

Are there any tests?
Old 29th August 2012, 19:31   #19  |  Link
rjd0309
Wanted Dead or Dead

Quote:
How do i know if itīs good or not?
As well, my discs can be played, but that doesnīt really tell anyone anything right?

Are there any tests?
The is a drive tool called Opti Drive Control, which you can get here:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

It gives several types of reports on the quality of your burn, as well as PIE/PIF error statistics (Disc Quality function).

Indispensible.
rjd0309 is offline   Reply With Quote