Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 12th June 2009, 03:17   #1  |  Link
jujiananren

how to cut the .ts files accurately

I wanna cut the .ts files losslessly and accurately.I've tryed the TSSplitter,but the beginning and the ending time of the clip it gets is not exactly the time I set. Is there any good suggestion?

ps:VideoReDo is very good but it does not support vc-1 and h264.Any better suggestion?

Last edited by jujiananren; 16th June 2009 at 13:27.
jujiananren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 06:15   #2  |  Link
LUCHOO

you can try VideoRedo

Quote:
Works with many formats
MPEG1, MPEG2, Transport Streams (.ts), Windows MCE DVRMS files, Siemens M740AV .CRID files, and Topfield .rec files. The result is that VideoReDo TVSuite works with the widest variety of TV PVR and DVR formats.
LUCHOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 06:52   #3  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

You can't cut 'em losslessly. Your stream is 99% likely to be made up of p or b frames, which require some kind of reference. Thus, if you wan to cut, and you want it to be on a specific frame, you will have to encode. There is hope, as you can encode to a lossless format, such as Huffyuv, but you will still have to encode.

The only way you can cut without re-encoding is by cutting on the keyframes, which are not "accurate", as they can be several 10's-100's of frames apart. Sorry man.
Old 12th June 2009, 08:38   #4  |  Link
jujiananren

thanks for your professional answer,Adub
Old 12th June 2009, 12:43   #5  |  Link
LUCHOO

maybe be interested:

Quote:
Why do I need frame accurate editing?
Because if you don't have frame accurate editing, you will not be able to specify the exact cut points resulting in a very chopped looking edit. You will either remove wanted program material, or leave in parts you did not want.

Frames in an MPEG compressed video are not stored sequentially and most frames are stored simply as changes from some prior frame. Without VideoReDo's special capabilities, the only place you can cut safely is on a GOP boundary. A GOP boundary is where MPEG has encoded a complete frame. Depending upon your source material, GOP boundaries occur every 1/2 to 4 seconds.
LUCHOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 16:59   #6  |  Link
Gokumon

Yes but that's not really truly lossless cutting as it re-encodes those sections in between the keyframes, but the vast majority of the video remains untouched though.
Old 12th June 2009, 18:28   #7  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

If VideoReDo's frame-accurate editing has to re-construct a GOP around a cut-point (which it only does if it's not an I-frame) and the end result is a perfect edit, who cares whether this is not "truly lossless"?

@ the OP if you want absolutely perfect cuts of MPEG2 (HD or SD) at any frame in the video, then VRD may be worth the money to you.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 20:24   #8  |  Link
Gokumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
If VideoReDo's frame-accurate editing has to re-construct a GOP around a cut-point (which it only does if it's not an I-frame) and the end result is a perfect edit, who cares whether this is not "truly lossless"?
It isn't that big a deal but I just wanted to point it out to the OP so that they know.
Old 16th June 2009, 13:25   #9  |  Link
jujiananren

VideoReDo not support vc-1 and h264.oh my....