Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th April 2023, 08:07   #1  |  Link
DreddDLuffy

How for SD video to look best on a 4KTV? (via Windows)

Obscure question for you. How do I get 480 SD video to look the best on a 4KTV, via Windows? I personally use Windows 10 connected to my TV via HDMI, also at the moment I tend to use a Yamaha receiver from 10 years ago. For preferences, I like video to look authentic, I don't mind a bit of blur, but I also want it to not look worse than it did on a 1080p TV is possible.

MPC-HC latest version is my player of choice, but could also try another one. I use the default MPC renderer and resizer so far, bilinear. Open to trying other options there, I see madVR is popular. When I see a fan release of a heavily filtered video like ESRGAN(?) upscale etc that's not my cup of tea. Plus a lot of them look like a big sharpness filter is applied. Just to show my preference there. But is it possible for an SD video to not look much blurrier on say a 43 inch 4K TV compared to a 40 inch HDTV? Intending to upgrade soon, 10 year old TV, but I watch a lot of older and lower quality video.

Another 4K newbie question. If I set Windows to display 1080p to the 4K TV, so the MPC-HC player is doing less resizing/upscaling, would that look better or worse than setting Windows to 4K resolution for an SD video?

Also I've heard some 4KTVs handle upscaling better than others. But would that still apply if I'm just playing a video via Windows, where the player like MPC-HC is doing the resizing/upscaling itself? Or is the TV able to tell somehow that the video is of low quality, despite it being say a 4K signal from Windows via HDMI?

(I also included a bit about this in an MPC-HC thread, but I'm interested in the subject outside of that particular player too.)

And pretty much, even if my various obscure questions don't fit, feel free to share any tips on the overall subject. It's all new to me. Thanks.

Last edited by DreddDLuffy; 18th April 2023 at 08:22.
DreddDLuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2023, 09:11   #2  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

If your 720x480 sources have been progressively encoded (ie: movie sources), it might be possible for you to remove the 3:2 pull-down flags to reveal the pure progressive (23.976fps) frames. It should make up-scaling to both 2K and 4K displays look much better.

Up-scaling 720x480 pure interlaced sources requires de-interlacing, which can be quite complicated to pull-off well.
Old 19th April 2023, 04:16   #3  |  Link
DreddDLuffy

Thanks. I realize this is probably too complicated of a subject to be easily summed up. Like you say, interlacing itself is a complex thing with a lot of options and settings. I'm tending to have 4:3 content like old TV shows and anime I'd want to upscale, since movies are remastered more often.
DreddDLuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2023, 12:25   #4  |  Link
Nolami

Test different upscalers in the mpc renderer and see what works best for you, I'd also recommend downloading those MPC-HC MPV shaders. They have 4 different strengths of debanding and I notice a real difference when watching old SD content.
Nolami is offline   Reply With Quote