Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th September 2008, 01:42   #1  |  Link
themustangguy

x264 Questions From A New User (h264enc)

Now that storage space has gotten cheap, I want to start encoding all my DVDs to h264. I have read through this forum and have a few questions before I get started.

First, some information.
- I am using linux (Ubuntu 8.04 64bit).
- I plan to use a 1 pass/CRF 18 because I don't need consistent file sizes.
- I have been using the h264enc script.

Questions

1) Is h264enc the right way to go or should I be doing everything myself? I am totally new to encoding, this script helps out a lot. I am worried however that I may become too reliant on the script and never learn how to do it from scratch. Is this something I should be concerned with?

2) Which container? From what I have been reading, Mp4 or MKV seems to be the choice. I originally was going to do Mp4 so I could stream to a Xbox 360. Since the 360 does not support 5.1 surround in either of those formats however, it seems either container would do.

3) Which audio codec? h264enc defaults to LC-ACC so I have been using that. I want to keep the 5.1 surround, so is that the way to go?

4) What is Temporal Noise Shaping and should I be using it? I have searched for this term on these forums but cannot find anything of use. Is it known by another term, or just not used?

5) Should I be using a custom matrix? I have not messed with these at all. I do remember seeing a post that claimed custom matrices are no longer needed, but I didn't read too far into it.

6) Should I be doing any pre- or post- processing? Again, not having any experience, I have no idea.

Thanks.
themustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
h264enc, x264