Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31st May 2016, 13:58   #11  |  Link
Sxc

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Well, I've read some doc on 10bit color depth support and the BD standard and compatibility with avisynth (including this doc), and I'm not sure it is a good idea to implement it. AFAIK, currently, avisynth is still limited to 8-bit (although some filters may use more bits internally), and I wonder if encoding in 10-bit is really interesting if avisynth returns a 8-bit video anyway.

Perhaps it is possible to use various alternative filters within avisynth to output 10 or 12-bit, but honestly, I don't know how, I'm not sure they will be compatible with the filters BD3D2MK3D requires, and again, given the fact that the input BD is encoded in 8-bit (TV range), I don't think that the gain will be major. Note also that most monitors and TVs are 8-bit only, and therefore you can only expect a more or less well dithered 8bit color depth in final, even if the whole processing and encoding processes are made correctly in 10 or 12-bits.

So, unless somebody can explain what I'll have to do to effectively support 10 or 12-bit color depth during the whole process and can show me clearly that there is a big advantage, I will not do it. Sorry.

Anyway, if you really want to encode in 10 or 12-bit, you can replace the x264/x265 exe with the 10/12-bit version, as you know. You can even create several small cmd files to restore the 8-bit version or overwrite it with another version, and call the right batch when necessary, before launching the encoding.
Well, setting aside the fact that the source was only encoded at 8bit, re-encoding the freshly decoded uncompressed video from avisynth using 10bit is giving a better quality file (no banding that wasn't visible on the source when being played appearing in the encode) with a not insignificant smaller filesize than using H.264 to get equivalent quality.

It's certainly easy enough to replace the executable as you say anyway, but their is a trend now to use H.265 with 10 bit on re-encodes of content that was originally H.264 8bit is common, especially for animated material.