Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th June 2022, 17:58   #221  |  Link
-QfG-
QfG Group Germany

Some releases have a RPU with l6 metadata over 10.000. The tool will not mux them, because 10.000 is the max value there. If you have this problem simply set L6 Metadata to the same values how the HDR stream have.
-QfG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2022, 13:51   #222  |  Link
fkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by -QfG- View Post
Some releases have a RPU with l6 metadata over 10.000. The tool will not mux them, because 10.000 is the max value there. If you have this problem simply set L6 Metadata to the same values how the HDR stream have.
That's a great idea. Thanks for clarifying.
fkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2022, 10:04   #223  |  Link
-QfG-
QfG Group Germany

-v0.47a
*Updated hdr10plus_tool to v1.3.1.
*DEMUXER Added feature to disable validation of HDR10+ extraction.
Old 22nd July 2022, 21:10   #224  |  Link
Meow

Firstly, thanks for the script, it's really nice how it simplifies the usage of the underlying tools.
I have a problem with some videos though.
Sometimes it works perfectly fine, but sometimes, I try to convert HDR10+ to DolbyVision but something goes wrong. I notice the brightness changing at clearly the wrong times.

Here's an example the error happened with.
Firstly I open ddvt_demuxer and continue with these settings:

I get my RPU.bin and then I run ddvt_injector. I get warnings about the video and RPU borders not being a match, I really don't know what to do about that.
I have been able to get a working end results even with those warning popping up.
I continue with the following settings:

Should I do something about the borders? I wonder if the borders are saying they're a mismatch because the video has a fullscreen logo at the very start, but after that it's just the TV show with black bars.
Or maybe I should change the timings by adding/removing delay? But the tools tells to me that the video and RPU have same length (1 frame difference) so I really don't know how much I should adjust the delay then.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2022, 00:59   #225  |  Link
-QfG-
QfG Group Germany

You must do nothing, the tool set the video borders correctly by himself. Yo see under "VIDEO INPUT" the Borders of the HEVC Base Layer. Under "FILE OUTPUT" you see the Borders set in the RPU during muxing.
Match L6 Metadata can be turned off, this function is only necessary if you have errors during muxing (Error Message is "RPU can't mux into stream, because 10000 is the max value for ...").

Last edited by -QfG-; 28th July 2022 at 01:01.
Old 28th July 2022, 11:35   #226  |  Link
Meow

Quote:
You must do nothing, the tool set the video borders correctly by himself. Yo see under "VIDEO INPUT" the Borders of the HEVC Base Layer. Under "FILE OUTPUT" you see the Borders set in the RPU during muxing.
Match L6 Metadata can be turned off, this function is only necessary if you have errors during muxing (Error Message is "RPU can't mux into stream, because 10000 is the max value for ...").
Thanks for the answer. And I didn't touch the borders or the delay timing, I continued with the settings shown in the screenshots. But still, I get brightness changes at the wrong times. So I guess something else goes wrong, or could this be caused by the L6 metadata option? I'll try without the L6 metadata option when I have time and edit this post saying what happened.
Old 29th July 2022, 11:21   #227  |  Link
-QfG-
QfG Group Germany

No, the Delay you must set manually, there is no function for this. Here is a little Video from me how you can find out the delay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVZL1vwXFAg
Old 29th July 2022, 11:58   #228  |  Link
von Suppé

I read an interesting question somewhere about RPU and framerate.

Can RPU from a 23.976 video be used for 24 fps target video (and vice versa)? It seems RPU works with framenumbers. Or is there more to it?
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2022, 18:39   #229  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Can RPU from a 23.976 video be used for 24 fps target video (and vice versa)? It seems RPU works with framenumbers. Or is there more to it?
It only works with frame numbers.
The content frame rate doesn't matter.
Old 30th July 2022, 06:45   #230  |  Link
von Suppé

Very nice to know. Thanks, quietvoid.
Old 1st August 2022, 00:52   #231  |  Link
NeverExists

Quote:
No, the Delay you must set manually, there is no function for this. Here is a little Video from me how you can find out the delay.
is there any other tool we can use to find out the delay? This tool in your video does not work at all for me. In your video, it takes a few seconds for the file to load and the video to pop up for editing, but I wait 1 hour and it still does not pop up. I did everything exactly like your video but it counts the file size very slowly after I press Queue.
NeverExists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:10   #232  |  Link
von Suppé

Maybe it's easier to just load the two videos in another player.
For identifying same frames and determining difference in framecount, I often use two simultaneous instances of Virtualdub. Works like a charm.
Old 2nd August 2022, 15:38   #233  |  Link
Meow

Quote:
In that video you are getting matching frames from two different video files and seeing what their different in frames is? Yes, that's easy with any video player. But I was asking about something different.

In my case I have just the one video file. It's HDR10+, I try to convert it to DV with the steps shows in my previous post, but I get brightness changes at the wrong times.

I guess I should use the tool to set a delay? But I don't know how I could get the delay right without trial and error, and well that would take forever.
Or could something else be going wrong? I could send you the video file I'm having problems converting, but I understand if you don't want to spend time testing for me.
Old 4th August 2022, 23:53   #234  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
I read an interesting question somewhere about RPU and framerate.

It depends on how the convertion was done. Where did you find that? All modern releases from Disney/Marvel are 24.000 going forward from Disney+. On Blu-ray in many cases 24.000 is also used. ALL production of real Hollywood is done in integer framerate anyway. 24/1.001 is a thing of old old past, many people fight to rule it out.

You would think 1 dropped frame every 41 seconds is not that important, but it accumulates. If it done with optic flow, it may be even worse.

Last edited by Balling; 4th August 2022 at 23:56.
Balling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 03:14   #235  |  Link
AgentXXL

Quote:
UPDATE: I'm blind... didn't see the 'Mux in mkv stream' option in Injector... just tried one of the titles that were failing and it looks succssful! Thanks again for all the efforts you and others have put into these tools and scripts. Ignore the rest of this message, left for posterity to show my impatience and not learning to read what's on screen.

Thank you for these scripts! I had stumbled across dovi_tool (thanks @quietvoid!) and was doing it manually with ffmpeg and it. Alas with both the manual method or your scripts, I still am encountering a problem with around 75% of the titles I try this with.

I'm probably overlooking something obvious but I'm having lots of failed attempts to create hybrids with both HDR and DV playback. The extraction/injection seems to work perfectly, but when I try to remux the output.hevc file with audio and subtitles, they are often way out of sync.

This happens even when the source HDR and DV files have the exact same frame count and audio. After extraction and injection of the DV RPU into the HDR.HEVC, I've tried remuxing with audio and subtitles from either of the source files, or sometimes from a Blu-ray source with the same runtime.

I'm remuxing using MKVToolnix GUI and just can't seem to figure out what I'm missing. I noticed the frame delay option so took a look at your video. While that may help with videos with different frame numbering, it doesn't when both source files have the same frame numbering and count.

Suggestions? Has anyone done a guide or video walkthrough of the process? My Google-fu is weak on this topic so any pointers would be appreciated.Thanks!

Last edited by AgentXXL; 5th August 2022 at 05:02.
AgentXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 11:59   #236  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balling View Post
It depends on how the convertion was done.
First off, I did not mention conversion. It's simply possible to have same program from two different framerate sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balling View Post
You would think 1 dropped frame every 41 seconds is not that important...
Even when changing 23.976 <--> 24 framerate, I don't understand why framedropping would come into play. Where would they be dropped? Just rewriting timestamps would keep native frames and same framecount.
Framedropping as I understand it, is skipping certain SMPTE timecodes to keep up with time. Since they merely refer to frames, skipping them will not skip the frames themselves.

But maybe I'm hugely misinterpreting your post and/or missing something.
Old 5th August 2022, 12:35   #237  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentXXL View Post
...but when I try to remux the output.hevc file with audio and subtitles, they are often way out of sync.

This happens even when the source HDR and DV files have the exact same frame count and audio.
Other than having the same framecount, have you checked in all cases that they also have the same framerate? I don't know what exactly you're crossmuxing but audio and video from different framerate sources will go out of sync. Possibly subs too.

About MKVToolNix GUI. Should you run Windows 8.1 or lower, don't use latest version https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=184092

Last edited by von Suppé; 5th August 2022 at 12:48.
Old 6th August 2022, 00:45   #238  |  Link
GodzilaAvenger

Can DDVT add FEL to a re-encoded BL?

To be more specific, I have two mkvs, one remux (DV 07.06) and another re-encoded HDR10 BL. I was wondering if I could use DDVT to grab the FEL from the remux and add it to the BL of the re-encode, or would this just produced messed-up results?
GodzilaAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2022, 00:45   #239  |  Link
fkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentXXL View Post
UPDATE: I'm blind... didn't see the 'Mux in mkv stream' option in Injector... just tried one of the titles that were failing and it looks succssful! Thanks again for all the efforts you and others have put into these tools and scripts. Ignore the rest of this message, left for posterity to show my impatience and not learning to read what's on screen.

Thank you for these scripts! I had stumbled across dovi_tool (thanks @quietvoid!) and was doing it manually with ffmpeg and it. Alas with both the manual method or your scripts, I still am encountering a problem with around 75% of the titles I try this with.

I'm probably overlooking something obvious but I'm having lots of failed attempts to create hybrids with both HDR and DV playback. The extraction/injection seems to work perfectly, but when I try to remux the output.hevc file with audio and subtitles, they are often way out of sync.

This happens even when the source HDR and DV files have the exact same frame count and audio. After extraction and injection of the DV RPU into the HDR.HEVC, I've tried remuxing with audio and subtitles from either of the source files, or sometimes from a Blu-ray source with the same runtime.

I'm remuxing using MKVToolnix GUI and just can't seem to figure out what I'm missing. I noticed the frame delay option so took a look at your video. While that may help with videos with different frame numbering, it doesn't when both source files have the same frame numbering and count.

Suggestions? Has anyone done a guide or video walkthrough of the process? My Google-fu is weak on this topic so any pointers would be appreciated.Thanks!
I also had seemingly random AV sync issues when doing manual muxing using MKVToolNix myself, even after troubleshooting, so started always using the built-in 'Mux in mkv stream' option and always works fine for me. Tricky to figure out why, but I'd say just use that.
fkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2022, 06:56   #240  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzilaAvenger View Post
Can DDVT add FEL to a re-encoded BL?
Adding FEL to recoded BL won't work. EL frame-types and order must exactly match those of BL. Recoding BL will destroy that.

@AgentXXL, @fkid

Don't know anymore where I've read it, but when muxing DV elementary streams with MKVToolNix GUI, I've learned to always set "Default duration/FPS" with proper value. Hope this is of any help.