Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2006, 18:57   #21  |  Link
Dams

Sh4nn0w : You're welcome
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:50   #22  |  Link
weaver4

I am not really trying to squeeze a movie into a specific size. I just want a good recording. Do I need to do the compressibility or can I just select the profile and say go. What profile should I use? I am using MeGui?
weaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 22:32   #23  |  Link
Teegedeck
Moderator, Ex(viD)-Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver4 View Post
I am not really trying to squeeze a movie into a specific size. I just want a good recording. Do I need to do the compressibility or can I just select the profile and say go. What profile should I use? I am using MeGui?
Encode at constant quantizer=3 and use the 90% HQ preset if size doesn't matter. Beware that the result might come out almost as big as the DVD with most movies...
Teegedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2006, 15:26   #24  |  Link
spanky123

Thanks for this Teegedec. Had nfi what the comp test stuff meant in the profile names until now.

Will try these soon - using MeGUI

BTW. There's nothing wrong with using Gordian Knot to make the avs and do the comp check is there ?
spanky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 02:07   #25  |  Link
wayneo

What if the compression check ends up reporting a percentage at 30% or lower? I'm converting a tv show that was recorded in 720p and converting it to around around about 380MB file and the percentage I get back is 16.85%.

Last edited by wayneo; 8th January 2007 at 08:13.
wayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 06:28   #26  |  Link
henryho_hk

There is no preset for CT<30%. Actually, Teegedeck has stated that AVC (e.g. H.264) should be considered for CT<45% materials. Hence, you should consider to:

1) apply stronger denoisers and (hopefully) double the compressibility
2) resize to lower resolutions
3) increase the target size, and/or,
4) try other codecs
henryho_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 10:24   #27  |  Link
Teegedeck

@spanky123: Sorry I've missed your post. Nothing wrong with using GKnot for creating the avs; but the comp-check that GKnot performs is totally different in nature from what Enc does; just use Enc for that.
Old 8th January 2007, 12:17   #28  |  Link
spanky123

Thanks

But I haven't been using the XviD in Megui, coz I get these errors. I know I'm missing some necessary files:

When I select 30%, I get:Error opening input file extra\eqm_v3ulr_rev3.xcm
When I select 45% I get: Error opening input file extra\eqm_v3lr.xcm
When I select 68% I get: Error opening input file extra\Didees SixOfNine.cqm

Where do I get these files ? And what do I do with them ?
Are they not supposed to download automatically when MeGUi is updated ?
Also, what are these files (.cqm and .xqm) for ? I think I heard somewhere that they've got to do with the Quantizer Matrices or something.

I remember before all the download servers and all that changed with Megui, everything was fine and was automatically downloaded. Since I uninstalled Megui completely and reinstalled the new one and updated everything I have not been able to encode with XviD.

The XviD profiles seem to download fine. They are in the /profiles folder.

If someone could answer all/most my questions and help me fix this problem that'd be good, cos I'm getting over Gordian Knot and was very impressed with Megui's XviD encoding and the XviD profiles. Thanks T

Thanks
Old 8th January 2007, 14:15   #29  |  Link
Brother John
(schein)heilig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegedeck View Post
but the comp-check that GKnot performs is totally different in nature from what Enc does
Do you just mean different settings or a whole different methodolgy?

Shouldn't matter anyway, because if you setup GK's compcheck like explained in the first post, percentages are almost the same. At least that was the case for the 2-3 sources where I did checks with both programs.

When lost in BeSweet's options, have a look at the Commandline Reference.
DVD nach MPEG-4 klappt nicht? Verzweifelt? Auf zum Encodingwissen!
Brother John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 11:06   #30  |  Link
spanky123

Can anyone help me please ?
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...8&postcount=28
Old 10th January 2007, 11:31   #31  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/Me...doesn.27t_work
Old 10th January 2007, 14:33   #32  |  Link
spanky123

Thanks bud
Old 11th January 2007, 11:38   #33  |  Link
Yoshiyuki Blade
Novice x264 User

Hey. I've noticed that the non-HVS SixofNine cqm should be used for the comp check. Does that also mean that the non-HVS is used in the presets as well?
Yoshiyuki Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 13:13   #34  |  Link
henryho_hk

Yeah, non-HVS 6of9 should be used in the presets.
henryho_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 16:32   #35  |  Link
Teegedeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
Do you just mean different settings or a whole different methodolgy?

Shouldn't matter anyway, because if you setup GK's compcheck like explained in the first post, percentages are almost the same. At least that was the case for the 2-3 sources where I did checks with both programs.
Sorry for my being busy with other things. AFAIR the comp-check Enc performs is more complex and accurate than GKnots. Happy to hear it's exact enough.
Old 24th January 2007, 17:21   #36  |  Link
Brother John
(schein)heilig

It's quite easy to miss a detail or two from the compact preset descriptions in the first post. So I made a couple of text files with tree views of the presets' settings (see attachment). They might be useful if you configure your Xvid manually.

Teegedeck, if you have the time it'd be great if you could have a look at the files, if there are any mistakes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Teegedeck's Xvid Presets.zip (8.7 KB, 1622 views)

Last edited by Brother John; 25th January 2007 at 15:46.
Old 25th January 2007, 00:57   #37  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

@ Brother John
Thanks a lot, I do almost everything manually, so it might be useful for me.

@ Teegedeck
I've been planing to revive the discussion about presets for quite a long time, but I always had sth else to do If I find more time, and I already know what I would like to speak about, I will write a few suggestions, based on my own experience.

Just a few (Brother John: Hast du Ahnung, wie Stichwörter auf Englisch heißen?) ... sort of key problems:

1) Curve Compression - I find it very useful in case of high quality (80% comp. check and above) encodes too, especially in dark, low-middle motion scenes. I've found some threads on CC, but some questions still remain unanswered (e.g. dependencies between high- and low bitrates CC).

2) 1st pass at quantizer 3 : sometimes, I'll repeat, sometimes I get better visual results (SSIM and the ultimate metric - my own eyes ) after having done the 1st pass at Q2. This happens mostly then, when I'm near a threshold of one preset to another, and decide to use the lower one (1st and 2nd pass bitrates don't differ very much).

3) Some alternative matrices that have been mentioned in the original (source) thread should be IMHO at least listed as alternatives, because not everyone uses your presets as they are (e.g. I ), and not everyone is into CQMs. Heini's MR (modified Sharktooth's V3 HR) could be a good replacement for V3 HR, for instance.

4) Very, very slight denoising (I used to be an opponent of this not a long time ago), like RemoveGrain(mode=1) or fft3dgpu(sigma=0.5,plane=4), could be recommended for most sources.

Just my noob ideas

Regards,
HDBR77

PS. I must have lost my head! Thank you for all your efforts & time put into the presets!

Last edited by HeadBangeR77; 25th January 2007 at 00:59.
HeadBangeR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 12:30   #38  |  Link
Teegedeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
Teegedeck, if you have the time it'd be great if you could have a look at the files, if there are any mistakes.
Hey, thanks for those detailed settings; I could only find minor errors: for the 45% HQ preset the max. quantizer is 5, except for i-frames where it is 4. As with the other presets' first passes, chroma motion should also be deactivated for the 30% fast preset's first pass. I think whether chroma optimizer is activated during first pass or not doesn't really matter.

@HeadBangeR77: Curve compression is a mixed blessing IMHO when it comes to compensating for dark scenes. I'm hoping for a real cure by Kopernikus' HVS tunings for XviD. Yes, first pass quant. should be as close to 2nd. pass average quant. as possible. Only for sake of simplification/practical reasons it is always '3' in the presets. As for matrices, I think everyone who knows what these beasts are should be able to find them him/herself; everone who doesn't should not be lead to meddle with these things... As for denoising, I would say 'no'. I think the presets should aim at reproducing a source as accurately as possible; whether that source should be denoised is up to every individual's taste. (Again and again I try very mild denoising but, personally, I never like the results.)

Last edited by Teegedeck; 25th January 2007 at 12:44.
Old 25th January 2007, 15:49   #39  |  Link
Brother John
(schein)heilig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBangeR77
Hast du Ahnung, wie Stichwörter auf Englisch heißen?
Stichwort = keyword, at least in a dictionary sense. In your post it's more along the lines of ideas, issues,... But don't worry about it. Teegedeck speaks German as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegedeck
I could only find minor errors
Corrected and archive updated.

Old 27th January 2007, 11:50   #40  |  Link
Sharro
Xvid Tribalistic Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
HR may have standalone compatibility issues.
To fix them just replace all "15"s with "16"s in the inter-matrix.
As any of you ever seen any post about this ?

Couldn't it be a problem for your presets ?

EDIT: Just tried a 2 pass encode with didee's 6of9 to test in my standalones together with Heini's (with inter-matrix 15's replaced by 16's), results:

Philips DVP720SA/02
===Heini's Intermatrix Min 16 -> perfect play
===Didee's SixOfNive hvs -> artifacts on video (blocks)

Philips DVP5960/12
===Heini's Intermatrix Min 16 -> perfect play
===Didee's SixOfNive hvs -> perfect play

Video was 704x288 pixels Xvid 2BF, QP, PB, Chroma Optimizer, Trellis with 1593Kbps set for the second pass

So for the time being I'll have to stick with Heini's IM Min 16. I'll also try it on a Yamada 6700 plus and revert.

END EDIT

I have to agree with HeadBanger, the Heini cqm is definetly a replacement for HR but for Standalone reasons I've modified it as per Sharktooth's recommendations, I did at least 3 movies with the 3 different cqm's (Hvs-Best, HRV3, Heini's) and Heini's always one even if with a 13.5 to 16% difference in the first pass size to Hvs-Best.

Just my 5 cents!

All the best,

Sharro

Last edited by Sharro; 28th January 2007 at 19:34.
Sharro is offline   Reply With Quote