Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 4th June 2006, 20:38   #81  |  Link
schumi77

hi,
the problem with the solution provided on the first page of the topic is that it can't be done on a DVD with several episodes. If you do it, and decide to change the language you have put by default, this default value come back after each episode.

So, i search through the DVD structure and find that audio selection was save in GPRM(12) and subtitle selection in GPRM(13) ... but i suppose it can differ between DVDs.
I found those value with PGCEdit in trace mode, by looking for the "if" switch when executing SetSTN audio ....

I finally put a break point on GPRM(12) and GPRM(13) and found that those variables where initialize to "0" before the root menu. So I changed those initial value to those I needed (1 and 1) and it works like a charm n_n.

Thx for the guide which, at least, taugh me what to search.
Old 4th June 2006, 21:47   #82  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Great finding, schumi77!
It's also exactly my method! Welcome to the PgcEdit's Power Users Club!
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 17:47   #83  |  Link
Kenwood

Excellent guide !
Works like a charm.
Big thanks 2Cool!

Kenwood
Kenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 17:09   #84  |  Link
dashali
Pro User

This Method works only in remote not in DVD's Menu

HI 2COOL & r0lZ
I have a DVD with 3 subs: en, es, fa
I give the command "51 00 00 C2 00 00 00" to be "fa" a default sub. That worked but every time I try change sub throuth Subtitle Menu and then Play Movie, sub don't change.
In other words, this method works in remote or bottom's PowerDVD but don't work throuth Subtitle Menu. Why?
dashali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 00:00   #85  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Probably because the pre-commands are executed again instead of a RSM.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 03:30   #86  |  Link
dashali
Pro User

Explain more. please.
I don't understand!
Old 1st August 2008, 04:46   #87  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

2COOL's method involves changing the title's precommands to set a preferred subtitle stream on. If these commands are executed again after you have been to the subtitle menu, then the subtitle selected from the menu will be irrelevant as the precommands will set the preferred default on again.

After going to the subtitle menu and selecting another subtitle, resume the movie by pressing the "menu" button on your remote. This will ensure the precommands are not executed again (including the additional set subtitle command).

Regards

Old 1st August 2008, 10:27   #88  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

If you are not happy with that method, you can try the Jump To PGC Upon DVD Insert method, explained by blutach in this guide. Read carefully point 9.
The drawback of that method is that it will skip everything that is played before the main menu, including the menu intro.
Old 2nd August 2008, 23:02   #89  |  Link
dashali
Pro User

Dear Friends, I attach my DVD's IFO files.
I want 3rd sub to be default sub , in all place of DVD -Main movie, Title menu, Root menu, Sub menu, Audio menu, Chapter menu and so on.

with PgcEdit v8.6 :
At first, I add a command to "VTST 1 ,1 TTN 1 , Title 1" , 2nd line of pre commands; but every time I refer to Sub menu for changing sub (e.g. to 2nd sub) , after play movie, 3rd sub became On again.

So, I add this command to "VTSM 1 ,LU 1 , [dummy] , RootM" , 5th line of pre commands, before "LinkPGCN PGC 2"; the above problem was solved but when I refer to Title menu, Sub menu, Audio menu & Chapter menu directly by means menues of PowerDVD, sub is off. I want 3rd sub to be On in these menues.

Where add I this command: "[51 00 00 00 C2 00 00 00] <==> (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture stream = 2, on" to resolving this problem?
Attached Files
File Type: rar My_DVD_VIDEO_Default_Sub.rar (19.7 KB, 149 views)
Old 3rd August 2008, 01:02   #90  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Sorry, we can not allow attachments of IFO files. Please read this sticky.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=50765

In any event, we'd need the menubuttons, too.

You might like to try r0lZ's advice posted earlier.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 3rd August 2008 at 01:06.
Old 30th December 2010, 07:33   #91  |  Link
meRobs

Hope this Sticky is not too old for someone to see my question!
I have the latest version of PGCedit and have just added a subtitle stream to a movie and wished to 'force' it on in PGCedit.

Having added a Cmd at the start of the movie, I found two choices for Set STN.
The first allows the new stream to be Set, which appears as "0 on" in Trace. Then, Subtitle 01 is checked in WinDVD and the subtitle plays in my DVD player. So, all is well.

I also tried the other option: "Force Subpic 0" in the Set STN panel. This gives "63: forced" in the Cmd, "31 On" in Trace and, in WinDVD, neither 'Disabled' nor 'Suntitle 01' is checked, yet the subtitle plays!

Since the latter seems confusing, I chose the first method.

Question: is there any practical difference between "Set to" stream 0 (only one subtitle) and "Force Subpic 0" ??
Thanks

Last edited by meRobs; 1st January 2011 at 05:55.
meRobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 09:43   #92  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Honestly, I have never understood completely why there is this option 63 (forced) in SetSTN, as it is possible to force some or all subpics of any subpic stream anyway, and not only the first one, as "Force Subpic 0" implies.

Forced subpics are used to display subpics when something shown in the image (and not spoken) must be translated. For example, in an US movie translated to French, the French movie title can be shown using a forced subpic.

Technically, any subpic of the stream can be flagged as forced, but the flag for the particular subpic is in the subpic stream itself (in the VOB file) and therefore is not controlled by PgcEdit. (You can change the forced flags with DVDSubEdit.) Then, if the stream containing forced subpics is made current but "off" (with a SetSTN command or automatically by the player or if there is only one subpic streram in the domain), then the subpics that are flagged as forced will be shown anyway. The subpics that are not flagged as forced are shown only if the current stream has been turned "on" with SetSTN. Note that when there is only one subpic stream in the domain, it is always current, so if it contains forced subpics, there is no way to hide them. In other words, that means that the current subpic stream is never completely off: forced subpics are always on.

It is, of course, also possible to author the forced subpics in a stream containing only them. In that case, there is no need to set the forced flag, as the stream can be turned on normally.

So, IMO, there is no need for that "Force Subpic 0" command. To display the forced subpics of stream 0, it is sufficient to SetSTN subpic 0, off. The "Force Subpic 0" option is present in PgcEdit, mainly because it is documented in mpucoder's DVD Information site (see SPRM 2 here), and because PgcEdit must be able to show that command in its GUI, but I have never encountered it in commercial DVDs.

If someone has more info, please let me know.
Old 30th December 2010, 10:21   #93  |  Link
meRobs

Thanks heaps for the comments.
I assume then that for a single subtitle stream, turning it ON with PGCedit will always have it play in a DVD player.
In my case, there was no menu for selecting audio or subtitle streams, so, if the setting fails I have no way of correcting it!
It works in my current DVD layer.

I might have a look at DVDsubEdit.
Old 30th December 2010, 14:37   #94  |  Link
mpucoder

Stream 63 is used to remember that the user has not selected any subpic stream. The intent was the remote or code in VM would be able to turn the current subpics on and off. Without stream 63 the VM would need to use a GPRM to remember that the user's last choice was "none".
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 15:07   #95  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, in PgcEdit, stream 62 is used for that purpose. Stream 63 is labelled "force subpic 0". IIRC, I took that information from your site. Has it changed?
Old 31st December 2010, 16:26   #96  |  Link
mpucoder

You're right, 63 is "forced". The player will start out set to 62 to indicate "none". VM (and possibly a remote, but I don't know of any with a button for "forced") can change the value to 63 to enable forced subpics from the first stream (it's not clear if "first stream" means lowest numerical stream number or first listed in the PGC - best to list 0 first if possible). In either case setting the "on" bit should not display the unforced subpics, and there lies the difference between explicitly setting the stream number and choosing 62 or 63.
Old 31st December 2010, 17:16   #97  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the explanation, mpucoder.

But I still doesn't understand. 62 means "not set", but IMO it should be "not explicitly set", as the player should decide which subpic stream to show based on the language code of the current audio track and the user preferences. Right? So what's the point in turning that "not set" stream on? If it's just to force the player to not change the stream (and keep displaying the forced subs of stream #0), then it is easier to SetSTN subpic 0, off. I am wrong?

Last edited by r0lZ; 31st December 2010 at 17:20.
Old 1st January 2011, 04:59   #98  |  Link
mpucoder

I think you're getting menu and title domains confused. A menu PGC can have only one subpic stream (and it must contain nothing but forced subs). Which PGC that plays is determined by language preference, language unit, and possibly VM jumping. SetSTN is allowed only in VTSM and VTST domains, and affects the title's subpicture stream, not the menu.

So here's one scenario where the values save a GPRM. You have a setup menu to select audio and/or subpic language. Doing so will use SetSTN and alter the default value of 62 to a valid stream number. Now the title begins, in its pre commands it checks the SPRM values of audio and subs. If SPRM 1 is 15 it means the user made no choice for audio, so the pre commands can make a decision. Same for SPRM 2 being 62. Having a value for not set (by the user) eliminates the need for using a GPRM to remember that. The same for choosing forced only. Some movies have forced subs that are not language related, BOV's are one example. The setup menu can have choices for subs like English, Spanish, or follow the rabbit. Setting the SPRM to 63 indicates an explicit choice of forced, and the on/off feature of the remote, if present, does nothing. If instead you use stream 0/off you will get the forced subs, but if the remote has a subs on/off button it will work.

The only time a player's firmware should make a choice of audio or subpic for a title is when SPRM 1 == 15 or SPRM 2 == 62. The choices should be based on SPRM 16, 17, 18, and 19, although most players I have will choose an audio track but leave subs off. If there is no matching audio or sub stream the first one listed is supposed to be the default.
The player always chooses audio and subs for menus by deciding which language unit to use, which should be based on SPRM 0. If there is no matching language "unspecified" is the default. If there is no "unspecified" then the first LU is used. btw in the ifo the language code for menu domains audio and subs is always 0 since it can be any language.

Last edited by mpucoder; 1st January 2011 at 05:16.
Old 1st January 2011, 05:52   #99  |  Link
meRobs

MPUcoder: since I'm not up to all the tech terms you use, please summarise for me!
Consider a Movie with only audio set on a foreign (for me) language and only one subPic stream present (English).
Is it best to set the SubPic to 0 with 'on" checked or to "Force subpic 0" on the STN panel. The former gives "0 On" in Trace and the latter gives "31 On" ??
Thanks
Old 1st January 2011, 07:19   #100  |  Link
mpucoder

If you want to see the normal subpics use 0/on. Most movies will not show anything with "force subpic 0".

Stream 63 should be called simply "forced" not "force subpic 0" as we are not forcing the display of stream 0, but rather displaying only those subpics which are denoted as forced from the first track. Each subpicture within a stream can be either normal or forced, this is coded into their command structure. Forced subpictures from the selected stream are always displayed regardless of the "on/off" flag, whereas the normal subpictures in the stream will display only if the stream is "on".

"Stream" is an overused word in the specifications and in most software related to DVD. The SetSTN command actually is talking about tracks. In 16:9 movies a track can have 2 or 3 streams associated with it, which one that gets used is determined by the display mode of the player - wide, letterboxed, or pan/scan. The PGC contains a map of track to stream(s).

btw, if there are forced subpictures in a thread (video, audio, and subpictures from one angle of one story multiplexed together form a thread) every subpic stream must have matching forced subpics in them. The forced subpics do not have to have the same graphic, but they must have the same timing.

Last edited by mpucoder; 1st January 2011 at 07:27. Reason: clarification