Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th January 2004, 17:22   #41  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

hi Josh,
well actually there's a very easy way to get the movie only to your backup DVDR. it is, if you want to say so, a seperate dvdshrink method. it strips off all the menus too though, but i honestly do not see much reason to keep the menu if you get rid of all the extras anyway. switching audio and subs during playback is more convenient imho anyway. for more details see here
for loads of other methods of backing up your DVDs see here

hth
steVe
Old 13th January 2004, 14:30   #42  |  Link
Henry The Ripper

It would be very useful to explain the B-,P- and I-frame settings? What do they mean and how do they work in plain terms?
Henry The Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 21:50   #43  |  Link
slickomatic

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. The links were helpful!

Josh
slickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 02:54   #44  |  Link
ukb007

Two questions to include in the FAQ

jolard has decided he's not a newbie any more. Great work, jolard. How exactly does one decide that ? (I'm asking because I'd want to make such a decision) Is the cut-off point some amount of time spent in these fora, the biological age, ability to successfully use GK, write a killer software, or a gradually blinding inner glow ? (well, I find it's too dark yet to see any light around)

Q. How just to stretch audio by factors like 0.0086% [I know CoolEdit can do this, but it's not a freeware] without changing the other parameters.

Thanks.

Last edited by ukb007; 30th October 2004 at 00:29.
Old 2nd March 2004, 17:29   #45  |  Link
assemblage

Word glossary of the lingo used in the forums and the guides.

How to backup episodic DVD's

A rewrite of the Big3 guide that explains more about what's going on or even a few different dvd's that walk you through the steps. The current guide I found to be confusing. It was basically, a 'check this do that' without much explanation of what's what. It seemed more like a guide of backing up Training Day. I don't have that one so after trying to backup my Band of Brothers Disc 1 which took forever, The disc wouldn't play past the first menu, but since the guide really didn't explain well what was going on, I have no idea what went wrong. I'm thinking it might just be easier to use DVD Shrink to backup the two episodes and use another program to make a menu.
assemblage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2004, 17:25   #46  |  Link
Jonodan

I'd like to find an easy to use guide suggesting best methods, formats, etc for editing video. What is the best format to edit in (avi, mpeg) for highest quality output.
Old 12th March 2004, 05:29   #47  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonodan
I'd like to find an easy to use guide suggesting best methods, formats, etc for editing video. What is the best format to edit in (avi, mpeg) for highest quality output.
We all play in Doom9's playground so we must abide by his rules, especially #12.

12) How NOT to post on this forum:

Do not ask "what's best" because this question cannot be answered objectively. Each and everyone has their own view about what's best in a certain area. The best is what works best for you!

If you have a problem with this, here's a thread on others trying to challenge it. Of course, Doom9 had the last words before closing it.
Old 4th June 2004, 15:44   #48  |  Link
trolltuning

There are two things that I've always had trouble with
1)Searches- sometimes I almost know the answer must be there but I keep coming up with irrelevant answers. Any tips that the experts can give would be appreciated.
2)Often I find I can't understand the guide or thread I'm trying to read because I should have read another one first. It would be nice if some one could say something like 'learn about fps first then colorspace 2nd etc. with links to the correct beginning guides.
trolltuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 07:30   #49  |  Link
NewbieIntheDell

My burned DVD cannot play in my stand-alone, why??

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jolard

Ok, some other questions that would be good to have answered that I haven’t had time to write yet:

My burned DVD won’t play in my stand-alone, what is wrong?

I am totally a newbie and have been searching and reading lots information in this forum. Thanks, guys. But I have been stuck for a few days. I used DVDShrink, ImgTool & DVD Decrypter,etc. to backup a dvd and burned into a DVD +R (Philips DVD+R 1-2.4X). It can play in my laptop by using PowerDVD, but cannot play in my stand-alone (Mintek DVD 1600). I tried different ways after reading many many and many instructions. But as a newbie, I find myself now in a dell. Please help me out, thanks.

What I did was:

1.Use DVD Shrink3.2-->Re-author main movie to harddisk. Use Recordnow! (Burner is Sony 530A) burn the whole directory to DVD+R.

2. Use DVD Shrink3.2-->Full Disk Backup to harddisk. Use Nero(demo) burn into DVD+R.

3. Use DVD Shrink3.2-->Full Disk Backup to harddisk. Use ImageTool (Classic 0.91.4) and DVD Decrypter to make an image and burn into DVD+R.

All results can play in my laptop by using PowerDVD, but cannot play in my stand-alone DVD player.

I must have done something wrong, but I cannot find it. Please help me, thanks.
NewbieIntheDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 10:13   #50  |  Link
manono

Hi-

This player seems to be problematic with DVD+R. Read here for some other people's experiences, and what some have done (turn on bitsetting) to make it work.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2004, 14:24   #51  |  Link
RPT

Hi there .... one thing I think should be included in any newbie FAQ is a clear description of codecs ... what they are, how they work, how they interact with other applications / processes (CCE, DVD2SVCD, etc). I don't consider myself a newbie (millions might disagree) but I still have trouble conceptually getting a handle on this.
RPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2004, 18:42   #52  |  Link
NewbieIntheDell

Thanks, Manono.

I never thought it might be the problem of the stand-alone DVD player. Thanks.

Hi, RTP, what is codecs?
NewbieIntheDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2004, 18:47   #53  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.doom9.org/glossary.htm#Codec
Old 29th October 2004, 12:23   #54  |  Link
stewart2000

more of an idea than question

being as some people have a bad memmory and loose things easy, specially serial numbers....how about a place we can keep them safe?
stewart2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2004, 15:31   #55  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

eh? what's that to do with a newbie FAQ??
Old 31st March 2005, 16:28   #56  |  Link
metramo

What FAQ

I think the question to ask and anwer is: What are the different formats and which tool/operation get me from one to the other.

I had the problem when at first I ripped a CD and produced a DivX file, then I tried to produce a DivX file from a TV recording which was in Mpeg. The tool neo didn't work at all. I finally used DrDivx.

Anothe time I tried to rip a newer film and the sound didn't come out. So I upgrade Neo, but this time the tool didn't guide me to the correct process rip, compress so I was lost.

The answer should be in the form of a diagram

DVD -- ripping -> VOB -- ??? -> MPEG -- encoding -> .avi file

But this is probably to simple and also wrong.
Old 22nd June 2005, 16:00   #57  |  Link
shevegen

As a newbie, I like organized FAQs.
In fact, I love those FAQs to be in a question-answer style, and I want that the FAQs are consistently up-to-date, and not too long, and not too short. (If in doubt, I rather want them to be a bit too long - this way I can learn more).

I also want the FAQs to use CSS - I dislike plain html FAQs without visual helps of colour and other CSS techniques. It does not have to be something stunning at all - it just has to be helpful and consistent. A simple clean design, nothing that takes hours to work on!

As a newbie I also like to have many links available in case I run into problems AND i also want to have certain techniques tested thoroughly, for example Capturing any content, or relaising video information in a server or via bluetooth/WLAN.

As a newbie i also DO like that there are explanations given - I might not understand it completely, but it is a good start to have them, and I can come back happily to it at a later time to reread through it.

As a newbie, and upcoming video expert (hehe, i am talking about the newbie point of view, not mine!!)
I want to be able to convert multimedia information into other files - mpeg2 to avi/divx, matroska into DVD compliant stuff, wmv into mpeg1 and so on, and then I want to be able to create VCD SVCD and so on things.
Old 18th August 2005, 18:25   #58  |  Link
jemaricld

i would like a version of dvd43 thats compatible with 64 bit
jemaricld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 03:58   #59  |  Link
jemaricld

is lightscribe software you can add to an existing burner
jemaricld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2005, 17:28   #60  |  Link
goregirl

THANK YOU SO MUCH JOLARD!!